What guitars have you strongly disliked? Why?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DGrig, May 17, 2019.

1. portobear

portobear Member

Burns guitars, particularly the Marvin model. Hate the scroll headstock and random bits of scratchplate plastered all over it, just looks awful to me.

2. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

PRS - tried to like 'em early on (early '90s), but always HATED the neck profiles - and the lack of sonic identity - I'm an old Giibson snob I guess.
    Played a few since then, one was a high dollar fancy PRS that was 'supposed' to be 'amazing' - I absolutely hated it to the point of telling the owner of the PRS.

VaughnC likes this.
  3. twotone

twotone Member

I wouldn't touch a Klein guitar if I saw one. I don't like that birdhead body shape.

4. The bear

The bear Member

I feel the same way, but I recently played one and it was a really great guitar. Too bad it's so ugly.

5. Multicellular

Multicellular Member

I have never been able to like a Strat sound. I really want to, I even like it fine when other people play them (except for the people that pop the strings, hate that, seems to happen more with strats too) but it doesn't work for me. I do have a Reverend Six Gun that I thought might work, bit hotter pickups, but it was still too shrill, or I'd set the amp mellower and then I'd find it just muffled. Put single sized HBs in and love it though.

I assume it is user error...or really user habit.

6. LeftyGtrPlr

LeftyGtrPlr Member

For me, Fender Teles. I just never liked the sound or the look. I have never picked one up or tried to play one due to my dislike (also the fact that there have been very few lefties in any guitar stores I have been in and you simply can't get a feel for a guitar if you flip over an opposite oriented guitar and try to play backwards). I do have to say that TGP has lessened my dislike for Teles due to all the love they get here. Also, what John 5 does to a Tele makes me think they might be OK...

All that said, I have also never played a Strat I liked/wanted to buy. Always felt I wanted/needed one, but have't found it yet.

Never liked the look of Rickenbachers.

7. s2y

s2y Member

Stuff that's uncomfortable, neck dive, pointy (because the paint chips and/or they have HUGE cases), obscenely high action, heavy, poor quality, hard V neck shapes, zero resonance/sustain, etc.

8. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Member

There was a small-bodied Taylor acoustic in my ex-bandmate's moldy basement rehearsal space.
    It was an awful guitar, sounded thin and nasally, felt unfinished and cheap.
    Smelled terrible, too.
    In 40 years of playing, that's the only guitar I spent time with that I truly disliked.
    I don't understand all the hangups about a guitar's appearance.
    My best guitar is not appealing at all visually.

9. mmihai

mmihai Member

Me too. Mine was awful. Although in playability it was my fav, in terms of everything else it was garbage: poor build, immediate broken switch, fret buzz, no sustain, muddy pickups, etc.

10. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Maybe they were thinking "Let's make Gibson's best selling solid body ever!"

Because they did.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  11. _sjm_

_sjm_ Supporting Member

A specific guitar I wasn't a fan of was the Clapton sig Strat. I didn't care for the neck, and never gelled with the pickups and boost circuit.

More generally I don't care for 7.25" radius, thin necks, small frets, and V shaped neck carves. I'm a little more forgiving on Gibson style guitars, but I have to be picky on a Fender.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  12. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

Tiny necks and flat frets are no-goes for me, no matter what brand.

Also, most US-made PRS models don't do it for me :eek: :mob :anon :hide

13. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I can't say I'ever played a Tele, strat, Les Paul, SG or 335 type that I didn't completely hate. Offsets? Please, plink machines. And PRS sucks too. I only like shredder types with a hardtail, vintage radius, and at least a .95" 1st fret neck thickness. I also hate partscaster relics, but overly modernized custom shop versions of traditional designs also suck. And like anything ergonomic and Nasa-looking also out. Vintage and NASA-looking and non-ergonomic, also OUT.

14. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

Came here to say this.

Like someone took the struts from a dime store kite and put guitar strings on it.

Insubstantial and incredibly cruddy tones.

15. Timcito

Timcito Member

How tastes differ. I played a used one (fingerstyle) in GC last weekend and almost fell in love on the spot! Played beautifully, great tone, really comfortable to hold. Maybe they suit us acoustic pickers more than they do electric players. Or maybe I was just in the right mood for it on Saturday!

Speaking of acoustics, I dislike most Gibson jumbo models and most Martin non-dreads in the 1,000-3,500K range. Neither brand seems to make an acoustic with the kind of treble ring/shimmer that I like.

Thumpalumpacus and cosmic_ape like this.
  16. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

Yes, but as it is with many things, popular doesn't always equal better. :)

Flogger59 likes this.
  17. MartinC

MartinC Member

• Anything with a sticky gloss neck.
    • Anything that doesn't have a single coil neck pick up.
    • Almost all teles (I love the sound of a Tele, but have never found one that I liked playing ... except the new Tele Acoustasonic ... which is only really Tele-shaped)
    • Anything without locking tuners (an easy fix)
    • Love the way Duesenbergs look ... playing one was a not for me
    • Most PRSs ... exceptions being the Mira that I bought and still own, and the DGT
    That's probably enough hate

18. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

Parker Fly, why? Look at it!

19. jacklickson

jacklickson Silver Supporting Member

I hate Gretsches with a passion but probably because I hate Bigsbys. And I hate all things Rickenbacker. Nothing but bad experiences with their instruments.

20. saladin

saladin Supporting Member

Any Gibson...they suck