What happen to the guys that were gettng the L 6 roto machines you like them or not ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SteveS, Nov 24, 2005.

1. SteveS

SteveS Member

I got one and like it messing around the house, I don`t play out but it sounds good plugged up in stereo with two amps... how`s it working for the guys playng out in the band settings..or is everybody waiting for the boss unit ? just thought I`d bring this back up to the top of the forum ...

2. Curt

Curt Member

I've got one. I really like it.

3. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

Still waiting to try it out with my full rig at rehearsal.

Should happen this Saturday. Initial impression was mostly positive except for a significant volume loss in the fx loop on my Blue Velvet.

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I demo'd it and really liked it; am debating heavily whether or not to grab one. I am 99% sure that I will get one in the next week.

5. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Member

How do you like it compared to your MoFaux Vibe ?

Thanks ~
    Steve E

6. Curt

Curt Member

Originally posted by * velcro-fly
    How do you like it compared to your MoFaux Vibe ?

Thanks ~
    Steve E

They're two entirely different pedals. The Roto Machine is a Leslie simulator. You can tweak it and get in the "vibe" ballpark, but I wouldn't use it to do any Trower stuff. But the Roto Machine will definitely give you the SRV Cold Shot sound. Big time.
    The Roto and the Mofaux are both on my board. Along with a Zen and TIM.

7. itsLars

itsLars Member

Hi,

i got one and pretty much like it. It has a different touch than the Rotosphere but I wouldn't consider it being a better/worse issue. Just different. I like both and the Line6 is smaller (and cheaper) so it made it on my board and I sold the Rotosphere.

Bye,
    Lars

8. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

I got one and I really like it. I'm in the middle of doing an album with my band and I've been using it on some of the tracks. I'm running it in stereo with two amps, running it in front of the amps (not in an effects loop) and it is quite a nice sound. My go-to setting has been the 122 model with a slow ramp speed, overdrive off, with the slow setting @ 9:00 and the fast @ 11:00.
    Live I am running it in mono straight into my '63 Bassman. There is a bit of a volume boost when it is engaged, but that doesn't really bother me. Mostly I use it when comping rhythm chords, playing fingerstyle. I do use it as a faux UniVibe on a couple of Hendrix-type things and I've found a cool sound playing slide on the slow speed setting.
    I'm very picky about effects in my signal chain, and I'm not hearing any signal degradation when the unit is bypassed. There is a bit of noise when the unit is engaged, but it is in the acceptable range. I'm powering it with a Boss PSA-120 and there is no appreciable difference in the noise level between using the power supply and running on a battery. Some people have reported ridiculous battery consumption with this pedal, like only getting 10 minutes of use from a Duracell, but I've run it for at least 4 hours on a battery without it draining the power.
    Overall, I like the pedal a lot. I haven't used any modulation effects in a long time( I am a recovering member of Chorusaholics;) ) but this pedal is a good fit for me. I think Line6 has delivered a great product at an amazing price.

9. SteveS

SteveS Member

For the guys comparing to a univibe, I have a sweetsound ultra vibe and the rotomachine is a different pedal in sound all together, my favorite setting is the 145 setting... i really like the way my Tele sounds thru it best so far ( LP and strat sound good too but different !) , I`ve got it hooked up to a Dr. Z.-28 and a classic 30 in stereo..I going to have to hook up with a jam with some friends to wring it out in a actual band setting but it fills the room at home here with the stereo setting even at a lower volume...yea I like it !!

10. ScottB

Finally played mine at rehearsal today.

Used it quite a bit. While My Guitar Gently weeps was particularly benefiting. Since I'm the only rhythm instrument, the Leslie really helps fill it out. I really didn't play around with the modes much; I used the L45 setting the whole time. It sounds great, why screw around?

I didn't notice a volume increase, but more of a presence boost. I think each guitar has a sweet spot with the drum/horn mix. I try to dial it in so I get the least coloring of the tone. I didn't notice any unacceptable tone suck or guitar character loss. I think a real Leslie is probably going to dominate your sound too, isn't it?

Anyway, I was pretty happy with it. I think it is a keeper (at least until the RT20 comes out!)

11. SteveS

SteveS Member

Hey Scott, did you use it with 2 amps in stereo or just 1 amp and what kind.. I love the way it sounds in stereo here in the living room it sounds huge

12. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I bought it yesterday, but I might return it. It sounds really good, but it doesn't have a ton of real world applicability for me.

I tried it with 2 amps, and it didn't sound much better than through a single amp. Perhaps if I put the amps further apart from each other, it would make more of a difference. What I'm trying to say is you don't need a 2 amps setup to use it.

I don't like the volume boost (and interestingly, it dropped the volume when used in my effects loop -- so that's unworkable).

All-in-all, it sounds really cool, especially for chording, but I think it gives me a headache.

It makes your guitar sound somewhat like a B3 -- but that's all it does. Is that useful to you?

I've got 2 gigs this weekend. I'll see how it goes and then decide.

13. Curt

Curt Member

I used mine quite a bit in the last few days. I still like it.
    And, not one headache.

14. ScottB

No just one amp. I haven't crossed the bridge of lugging two amps around.

I do need to at least check it out at some point, though.

15. ScottB

No headaches from the Roto, but I do get them a lot from other causes (mostly sinus, I think)....

I got the volume drop in the loop of my Blue Velvet too. I'll try it in the Superfly loop at rehearsal next Saturday. I expect it to respond similarly, but they have shown differences with effects in the past, so I'm a little hopeful. Today I used it first in the chain (before my board, btw don't try to tune with a Leslie running in to your tuner:eek: ). It sounds fine there. It did seem to do better with high gain settings on the Superfly than it did on the BV.

That's exactly what I want it for: to make my guitar sound like a B3. I comp a lot of keyboard parts in our tunes, so it comes in handy. Maybe I'll give Willie the Wimp another go!

16. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

And if you want to play Badge, you need this pedal!!

17. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

To the Roto Machine owners: Does it sound better in front of the amp or in the effects loop? Is there a difference in how it sounds depending on this? I know the H&K Rotosphere prefers to be in the efects loop for a line level signal to reduce noise.

I'm getting close to buying a Roto Machine because the clips sound great and it's significantly cheaper and smaller than the Rotosphere. I've been considering the Rotosphere, but I can't jusify spending $400 new or $250+ used. Might as well put that towards a real leslie/vibratone/motion sound amp/cab.

Right now for live playing I have a Dunlop Rotovibe and for home playing I have the leslie effect in my PODxt. Anyone think the Roto Machine is a better leslie sim than the analog Rotovibe??

The B3 sound is excactly what I'm looking for. I think it's great for jazz guitar comping.

18. Curt

Curt Member

I only have one gripe with my Rotomachine. When power is applied to the pedal, (turning on a power strip etc) the pedal defaults to "ON", regardless of whether or not you turned the pedal off before shutting power down.
    That's not a good thing. I want the option of weather it defaults to on or off when power is applied. If not, then the default should be OFF.
    But, the pedal sure does sound good!

19. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

I will try one of those. Anybody know the power consumption? I want to put it on my board and power it with the internal power supply, so I have a specific max. consumption in mA.
    Thanks