• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What happened to Jimmie Vaughan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayLucas

I don't mean to sound offensive and I'm not 'dissin' on him or whatever. He seems to be a pretty nice guy and has done some pretty cool stuff, but...
I sometimes watch those old videos and inteviews of my idols(who doesn't, right?) and I watch a lot of SRV, and some shows he did with his brother and man, JLV's playing was pretty neat, he would put out some nice 'feelsy' solos, you know? The kind that makes you smile and go 'yeah' :) but as of late, when I see him playing on all those Crossroads DvDs or his concerts, it's almost as if, I don't know, he's stopped practicing or something. What happened?

John Hurtt

Platinum Supporting Member
Vaughn is a great player...I personally don't like his tone...it's so bright and brittle now it makes me think he has some hearing issues. But that's my opinion only...

Lewguitar

I think Jimmie sounded a lot better with the T-Birds.

But he's probably making a lot more money without them.

I can see why he made the choices he made and I see them as probably being based on money.

But I'll tell you: Family Style is one of my favorite albums and they both play so well on that album that I can't tell which Vaughan brother is which.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I kinda understand what the OP is saying, but sometimes you just gotta let it be. I hate to say it, but he's like 62 years old now and maybe his ears are shot from cranking 60 and 80 watt Fender amps for 45 years???

I have too much respect for certain guys and also understand what age can do to our senses as well as our dexterity to blast them late in careers. I know I can't hear things in my late 40s that I was able to hear in my 20s. But... I digress.

msteeln

His change is like when Clapton left Cream, quite drastic, and some of us will always pine for what was without giving the new much of a chance. I love Eric/Derek and have tried to love the new Jimmie but I guess I don't get it. T-Bird Jimmie was guaranteed ultimate cool, and while he'll be cool into eternity any way he chooses my old Strat love has been squarely on Ronnie Earl for a decade now. Always interested in what Jimmie's up to, tho.

JayLucas

The monthly Jimmie Vaughan sucks thread.
I never said he sucks. But man, look at his solo here:

Starts at around 1:28. (Also: SRV, Jeff Beck and JLV together on stage? Gold!)
As opposed to here:

Again, not saying he sucks, but there is a very notable difference, IMO.

But I'll tell you: Family Style is one of my favorite albums and they both play so well on that album that I can't tell which Vaughan brother is which.
Can't disagree with that. It's a very good album with some fantastic playing there. Also:

It's pretty cool seeing them brothers together :BluesBros

Last edited:

msteeln

I never said he sucks. But man, look at his solo here: Starts at around 1:28. (Also: SRV, Jeff Beck and JLV together on stage? Gold!)

As opposed to here: Again, not saying he sucks, but there is a very notable difference, IMO.

It's pretty cool seeing them brothers together
Way cool, never have seen that vid, thanx!

If he's happy playing this way then I'm happy for him, nobody else is doing it and it's good.

Thank god they had that opportunity!

soldersucker

I think Jimmie sounded a lot better with the T-Birds.

But he's probably making a lot more money without them.

I can see why he made the choices he made and I see them as probably being based on money.

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao You realise he's the sole heir to SRV's estate?
Multi-millions.
He changed up his style because he wanted to.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
He follows his muse. Some like it, some don't. I do.

I also don't think its radically different fom what he's always done. Sounds a bit different, but he's on the same path he always was.

Polynitro

not a fan of his more authentic style.

he used to be great, original, and unique now he sounds like a blues time capsule.

Cuthbert

I love all of his solo records. I love his unique style. I even dig his tone. I really like his singing.
I think he's still around. Maybe he does not crave attention and adulation the way people like Keith Urban and J-Lo do.
On another note, whatever A&R guy had the idea to put the two brothers Vaughan together on a record should receive an honorary grammy. Although I could critique some of Nile Rodger's 80's drum sounds, overall it's an American classic from beginning to end.
On another note, wasn't Stevie married to a woman named Lenny who would presumably be the heir to his legacy?

Flogger59

not a fan of his more authentic style.

he used to be great, original, and unique now he sounds like a blues time capsule.
He is quite a ways down that path, and has been since the late 60's. Legend has it that in 67-68 he was the meanest Clapton clone that you ever saw with a Les Paul and a shag.

mudster

High Prairie Wrangler
Gold Supporting Member
Jimmie is just comfortable doing his thing. It is west gulf coast style. There is a subtle swing to it. Heavy Johnny Guitar Watson influence.

joeybsyc

Call it a change of style if you want, but he's definitely lost the fire he once had... no question about it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom