1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to my OCD?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teddy boy, Jul 25, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Lads,

Just had our last rehearsal before a couple of gigs today and to my horror I realised my OCD is acting all weird. To me, the OCD has always been a really bright pedal. I keep the tone down at about 9-10 o'clock. It is also comparatively loud, especially in HP-mode. Today, my OCD sounded really lame!! Dark, muddy and and a little quieter. All the "power" had dissapeared! I had to bring up the volume to about 1 o'clock and the tone to 12 to breathe some life into it, but it still sounded dull. Any ideas what it could be? I use a Cioks Baby to power it up a 18V. The OCD is the newer version.

I addded a couple of pedals to my setup. Could they affect it somehow? A Skreddy ? Lady-fuzz replaced the Mayo and a Strobostomp replaced my Boss TU-2. The Skreddy is before the OCD and the Peterson is after it. I'm a a bit worried it could be the Strostomp that has caused these problems but can't be sure. Perhaps the buffer in the TU-2 did something to the signal? My Timmy is unaffected though. Please, if you have had similar experiences, let me know! I'm desperate!!

Here's my signal chain: Guitar-> VOX Clyde McCoy reissue Wah-> Roger Mayer Voodoo-Vibe jr.(using buffered output)-> Skreddy ? Lady->OCD-> Timmy-> Skreddy Top Fuel-> Strobostomp-> Red Witch Empress-> Diamond Memory Lane-> Amplifier

Cheers!

2. RickB

RickB Member

First, I would throw a fresh battery in it and unplug it from the power supply and see how it acts in line with its own power.

To save you the trouble, Mike will just explain to you how Jimi had your same problem so deal with it, your pedal is fine! :jo

All kidding aside, I am not familiar with the power supply you are using but if you added pedals and the supply doesn't have isolated, regulated outputs, you might be drawing too much on it.

3. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

I've read alot about people having issues using the OCD with other pedals. It seems to be issues with pedals that follow the OCD, so possibly if the Strobostomp has a buffer, could be that? I guess it doesn't play well with others? Anyway, maybe sell it and find a pedal that does play nice?

4. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Thanks for the answers,

I don't think it is the power supply. It has a warning light which hasn't indicated lack of power. I'm only using just under 200mA at the moment I think. Anybody know how much power the Red Witch Émpress draws?

The Strobostromp should be True Bypass, but the TU-2 had a buffer... perhaps I liked the sound of the OCD with a buffer after it. I don't know! All I know is now it sounds dull and lifeless.

Could it help if I removed the buffer from the Voodoo Vibe in front of it? It has a True Bypass output too.

I'll have to fiddle around tomorrow...

5. evco

evco Member

6. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

Yeah ... put the TU-2 at the end of your chain and most likely you'll get the old sound back. My OCD gets a huge volume boost and becomes much brigther when a buffer is placed after it.

7. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

If you're used to the tone with your Boss tuner in front, my first reaction is that perhaps the Boss tuner uses Boss's characteristically (slightly) bright buffer, and you're used to that tone? The buffered output of your vibe is obviously not the same as a Boss buffer.

The best thing for you to do is this...

Play with nothing else but the OCD in your chain. Tweek your settings 'till it's perfect. Then add ONE thing and notice any changes. Take that ONE THING back out and add A DIFFERENT THING.

Go through each effect one at a time, each with the OCD (either before or after--however you use it).

You might find out what's going on this way.

Then begin adding your usual chain back together one piece at a time.

This should be more than enough to point out the issue.

8. sssmile

sssmile Member

The Strobostomp has a buffer as well. It is a true bypass tuner, but check the inside trimpots you can select the buffer or true bypass setting. If its on the buffer setting it might be squashing your tone. peace

9. EddieFeder

EddieFeder Senior Member

a Lot of people? Doesn't sound like it Cussy, what are there, like 8000 OCD's on the planet? You've heard how many "problems?"

Thought so.

10. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

I think we know Mike's nom de plume. :rolleyes:

11. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

I'm not sure if I'm being yelled at, or if you are agreeing with me? In either case, I've seen several threads on several boards with people discussing the OCD not playing well with other pedals.

One thread here, right now: http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=153578

12. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Did you mean to sound like a dick?

Search around the forums...many people have agreed the OCD doesn't play nice.

13. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Thanks for the replies guys!

Yep, it was the removal of the TU-2 that affected the tone of the OCD. I was used to the bright sound of the buffered OCD and now it sounded flat without the buffering. Weird! I'll have to tweek it some more or put it in front of my Voodoo-Vibe, which is buffered. This also explains why I got a huge volume boost yesterday if I engaged the OCD while my TIMMY was on.

This actually really bothers me! One would think Fulltone would think about things like this. I mean, his pedals are on the boutique side and boutique users tend to have boards with quite a few pedals. I like the sounds of the pedal but if it doesn't work with my current setup I'm going to get rid of it... it has a flaw!

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

just for accuracy...they aren't trimpots, but dip switches. You can configure so it is buffered or true bypass I think with that. Also the dip switch (one of the switches) turns on/off the DI output. It might be the same switch, it is written a little strangely, I wish they had a "truth table" instead showing the position and labeling exactly what they controlled.

But in any troubleshooting, the FIRST thing the original poster ought to do is take ALL added pedals since the OCD last sounded "Normal" out again, verify the OCD is sounding like it is supposed to again, then add each one exactly in the position you had them til it sounds weak and bad again, Then you KNOW which pedal (or possibly pedal combinations) is causing the prob.

If it goes bad as soon as the Strobostomp is in the lineup, still try and remove the other pedal, keeping the Strobostomp in there, verify it still makes the OCD sound bad and work on that.

Work the problem, not the theory.

EDITED NOW: Sorry, I see you identified the problem. For one thing, you STILL could check the strobostomp, see if it is set to buffered or TB?
    It might provide a nice enough buffer. Or you could try a booster (like the SHO) before or after the OCD? OR an EQ pedal?

Good luck!

15. EddieFeder

EddieFeder Senior Member

Yah, what a dummy Fulltone is, he didn't make the OCD play nice with Boss Tuners.
    Why would anyone put their signal through Boss tuner? Isn't that what A/B boxes are for.

16. estringwalker

estringwalker Member

Mine wont play with Red Witch Moon Phaser, Timmy, DL-4, Holy Grail....All pedals you would normally put AFTER the OCD.

Somthing tells me this pedal is screwed if I cant put these after it without getting a huge volume jump and a treble boost..

17. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Oh boy...

Well, it doesn't work with my Diamond Memory Lane or Red Witch Empress Chorus or the Timmy as mentioned above. Are these not worthy of being on the same board as the OCD? And B.T.W. Boss effects happen to be quite well thought out. They work.