• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What happened to The Cars?

Eskimo_Joe

Rocker, roller, way out of controller
Silver Supporting Member
The seemed to be on top of the world with Heartbeat City, and fizzled out shortly thereafter?

NB_Terry

Ric Ocasek said the guys in the band didn't care anymore and were showing up to do background vocals while eating cheeseburgers.

Ric's solo album This Side of Paradise has some great tunes on it. Check that out.

He also produced a few Weezer albums.

Pablomago

I seem to remember reading that on their last tour before they broke up they weren't pulling in the fans and the venues were half full or less. Does anyone else remember that?

GerryJ

I think, in addition, there was the fact that one or two members had the lion's share of writing credits, and other members over time disagreed about it. After all, that was still the commodity era where tours could lose money because the vinyl/tape sales that resulted were huge. But if you weren't a writer, you were on tour all the time for a respectable (but not phenomenal) wage.
A reasonable route, if you're interested, would be to check out Elliot Easton interviews (if they exist); he was essential to their sound, and I doubt he had a cheeseburger work ethic. I'm speculating about if he addresses the breakup frankly or not, haven't looked myself.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
I seem to remember reading that on their last tour before they broke up they weren't pulling in the fans and the venues were half full or less. Does anyone else remember that?
I remember them having the reputation as a crappy live act in the 80's. I loved their records so much as a yoot.

tim gueguen

There's more than enough live Cars stuff on YouTube for you to decide for yourself on whether they were boring live or not.

Ric Ocasek wrote all the band's material, other than a few tracks he co-wrote with Greg Hawkes. So he got most of the songwriting monies the band brought in.

The impression I got is that Ben Orr was increasingly at odds with the rest of the band. 1987's Door To Door not doing well didn't help.

BADHAK

Like most great bands,they had a purple patch and then the quality of the songwriting dropped off.
Heartbeat City had some great pop songs on it ,but had little of that edginess that make the first 2 albums so exiting.

fezz parka

Yep! EE along with Wally Palmar from The Romantics, Andy Babiuk from The Chesterfield Kings, and the mighty Clem Burke on drums.

Trending Topics