What happened to the Fender 64 Vibroverb Custom?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by revgsmall, Apr 18, 2005.

1. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I see Fender has it listed in their new catalog. I have not heard boo about this amp. This the one that has the switchable Cesar Diaz mod switch on the back.

Anyone have a comment etc.?

Unadan likes this.
  2. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

3. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

The link above says it all. I just picked one up on Saturday and it is a very loud 40 watts, has a fantastic 15" Eminence speaker, beautiful Fender Reverb, has glassy Fender tone with chimey highs and tight bottom. I tried it next to a Bassman LTD (killer amp, but way loud) and a '57 Tweed low power (40 watt) Twin (muddy sounding next to the other two). The Diaz mods add a bit of gain and a heapin' helpin' of sizzle. Not eardrum shredding, but musically cranked tone. SRV to a "t". Switchable from tube rectified to diode. The tube rectified tone is a little softer feeling as compared to the diode. I've only had it since Saturday and have 3 - 4 hours on it. My 100 watt Orange is going up for sale, though.

Ned

4. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I am looking for a sweet breakup at a lower volume. I have a 70's Pro Reverb that does the Fender clean in spades. I often thought about a Deluxe Reverb but I have not played a RI that I like, at least out of the box. Not sure the Deluxe has enough poop for a gig either.

I tried an original 59 Fender Tweed Pro, at a gig a couple of weeks ago. That was it for me!!! Of course the owner won't part with it either.:rolleyes:

5. SLG

SLG Member

You need to check out a Sewell Wampus Cat. The amp is based on the circuitry of two different variations of Fender tweed Pro. They are excellent amps! They aren't very common used, but since they are not currently "amp of the month" you can usually find a nice one for under $1000.

6. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

Where can you find one at $1000? Their website price is starting at around $1500. Looks interesting, thanks.

7. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

If you are looking for "sweet break-up at a lower volume" check out the Vibrolux RI with the 2X10s. I checked one out at the same time I bought my Vibroverb. They aren't nearly as loud and they break up earlier. After about 2:00 on the volume they won't get any louder, but will get more compressed in a great roadhouse kind of way or feel. They do clean up some when you back off the volume. I've seen them for $700 on evilBay.

Ned

8. Mark C

Mark C Member

Is your Pro Reverb a later 70's model with master volume? If so, you may be able to have it tweaked by a good tech. I have a 66' Pro Reverb and it is perfect for club gigs.

9. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

Yes it is a Master volume silver face. I never had much use for the Master, I always put the thing on 10. I just purchased a 3x10 Bandmaster tweed clone on ebay. Hopefully that will get me where I want to be in Lower Volume Land.

10. Mark C

Mark C Member

Some of those later pros are pushing 70 watts IFIRC. The blackfaces are 35 watts. The master volumes on silverface Fenders aren't really that good IMO, so, like I said, a good tech could probably tweak that amp for you and make it really sing.

11. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

will check it out, a good tech around here is non to be found (Wyoming). Will have to haul it to Denver most likely.

12. Mark C

Mark C Member

Check out Nashville Amplifier Service (Todd Sharp, former session wiz) and Allen Amplification. Both will allow you to ship them the chassis (probably cheaper than a drive to Denver).

13. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

revgsmall,

Not sure were in WO you are but I know a real good tech Greeley. Let me know if can hook you up.

CC

14. Pantone 333

Pantone 333 Member

I'm surprised this amp is not produced anymore.