What happened to the PRS P22?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RockDebris, Dec 8, 2016.

1. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

My wife is getting me a used P22, original year, wrap around tail piece, for xmas. I've wanted one like that for a couple of years. I didn't realize though until learning I was getting one that the P22 was no longer in production. Looks like the Custom 22 Piezo (trem) or Hollowbody Piezo (wrap around) are the 2 choices now.

Was this just an effort to streamline the product offerings or was it just not very popular? They don't have a solid body, wrap-around tailpiece with Piezo anymore? Doesn't matter, I'm still getting the guitar I wanted, just curious.

Any fans of the P22? I'm getting it to compliment a 408 I bought last year. Before these two guitars, I was using a couple McCarty's, but the 408 really started getting me at looking in different directions.

2. Bogner

Bogner Member

Probably more PRS brilliant marketing shenanigans. They always rename something, pull popular colors for a season, then release again. Who knows but they are always doing something to keep ideas fresh and people buying more guitars and it seems to be working. The P22 is a great guitar. Congrats on getting one!

3. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

The P22 was originally specd with PRS 53/10 pickups. The 53/10s were discontinued due to the winding wire becoming unobtainium and that likely lead to the extinction of the P22 as well. I *think* PRS did briefly produce P22s with 57/08 pickups in them (with a phase reversal in one of the pickups?), but there's strong opinions among PRS fans that the 53/10's pair better with the piezo. I own a set of PRS pickups (square bobbins) that are labeled "P22" and I'm not sure if they're 53's, 57's, or yet another variant.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  4. Mark Ray

Mark Ray We're Jammin' Gold Supporting Member

I use my P22 at every gig! I bought it during the great GC PRS sell-off, the only reason being I was tired of dragging an acoustic to gigs for the 5 or so songs I would use it on. Does a great job passing for an "acoustic" and really helps on stage space, load-in & out, etc.

5. bricel24

bricel24 Member

I have a 2012 P22. Been trying to sell it but don't mind keeping it if it doesn't. The piezo is excellent.

6. major-minor

major-minor Supporting Member

I've been strongly considering a P22, or P24 myself.
    Looks like the 2017's are using different pickups as well. Wonder why they changed pickups?

7. major-minor

Also appears they've completely dropped the P245.

Hmmmmmm..................................

8. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Supporting Member

Didn't sell.

9. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Can anyone tell me what to expect out of the 53/10? Like, where does it fall in the original McCarty through 408 spectrum? Those are the two sets of pickups I really know (and that is a pretty wide spectrum).

10. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

I think the P22 Trem is one of the coolest most versatile guitars of all time!

Wait, I just checked. You can get a Custom 22 Piezo which is the same guitar with a different name. I don't get why PRS changes the name so much of the same model. Marketing is the real answer. I think companies like PRS has to do that, the other 2 don't really have to I guess.

11. major-minor

Not that it really matters , but are they using the same pickups in the Custom 22 piezo as they did in the P22 ?

12. kbgear

kbgear Member

Yep, 85/15s. They've switched to what I think is a more intuitive naming scheme. Take Custom 24 then add the options: semi-hollow, or floyd, or piezo, or 7-string, etc. Plus the C22 and C24 are their only remaining Piezo models, besides the Hollowbody II which is also now available in two versions, HBII and HBII Piezo. The base specs appear to remain the same now, whereas historically they had different pickups in the "P" models from time to time, or the "P" models lagged changes by a year, etc.

It could also help people realize the guitars have a Piezo, since just the letter "P" could have... several interpretations. ;)

13. major-minor

I don't know a lot about PRS pickups, but didn't last year's model use 57/08 pickups? 2017's using 85/15's. Is this the same pickup using different names?

Sorry for confusion. As I said----this is my first real interest in a PRS of any kind, so I'm learning.

kbgear likes this.
  14. kbgear

kbgear Member

NP, no need to apologize!

The 57/08 came out in 2008, and the 59/09 came out in 2009.

The 58/15 and 85/15 came out in 2015 and replaced those respective pickups. So 58s replace 57s and 85s replace 59s. The numbering makes sense when you hear Paul talk it through, but at first take it is a bit confusing.

Not hugely different, but subjectively they're more "open" and "woody". IMHO they're a significant improvement if you like that open quality of vintage humbuckers, but I still love my 57s and 59s which are a bit darker in comparison IME.

HIH!

15. major-minor

16. Whitecat

Whitecat Member

The Custom 22 Piezo is similar but not exactly the same - the old P22 was available with a Pattern Regular neck carve and that's not an option on the CU22 - it's Pattern or Pattern Thin only.

For me the best example you would be able to find is a first-year (2012) with the uncovered 53/10s. From 2013-earlier this year it was 57/08s.

There was also an Experience 2012 edition with covered 53/10s if you prefer, but obviously in super-limited numbers.

17. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Update. I've had the P22 for 2 months now and I can't believe how long I waited to get a Piezo/electric combo. It's such a great thing to have in our duo band, I love running the piezo direct and combining it with my mic'd electric. I don't think I found one YouTube demo video that really showed me the kind of sound I could get. Here is something from today's rehearsal ... used to play this without the piezo and I liked it, but the acoustic reinforcement in the riff just makes it sit so perfect to my ear. Also, I'm running the electic in a wet/dry configuration. The sound on the video has no added mix down effects and just minor EQ changes.

18. somedude

somedude Member

It appears they've completely dropped the SC245.

19. somedude

somedude Member

PRS is always changing products. Dropping those that lag and re-releasing them in a few years with changes as necessary.

Beyond that, I'm not sure how well the piezo guitars sell. I think it's a bit of a niche product since your average electric player doesn't need an acoustic sound, and your average acoustic player will likely prefer a real acoustic.

I have a P245. Great guitar.

kbgear and RockDebris like this.
  20. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

True, though they do still have them on three models, just not the P22. I think perhaps the P22 became redundant or confusing when they could just put Piezo on the Custom models (if you want trem) and the hollowbody (if you want hard-tail). I'm glad I was able to scoop a P22 up since my preference is solid-body hard tail. I know that if they put the system onto some form of an S2, I'd probably buy it.

I'm sure it is niche like you say, but since I play mostly electric I never brought an acoustic out to a show for just a couple songs in the set. I thought the improvement of having Piezo at first would be minor. The "acoustic" songs would sound better. While I do find that to be true, I'm also finding that a hybrid blend is addicting and I'm starting to prefer it on a majority of songs. Here is another where I was doing electric only before. The Piezo doesn't dominate, but it reinforces attack and note separation, even heavily distorted.

Anyway, all that to say, I waited until my 30th (or so) guitar buy to finally get a Piezo hybrid. And now I want two. ;)

jrw32 likes this.