What happened to the THD 2x12? Did anyone else ever pick up that design?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Naregnemyes, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Naregnemyes

Naregnemyes Member

Hey all. Haven't played guitar in a long time, but I recall the THD "ported" 2x12 extension cabinet got rave reviews around here. They must have done something right in terms of the cabinet volume or vent dimensions in the back, I figure. I never got a chance to try one.

Anyway, now I find myself wanting one and noticed during a quick search that they seem to have gone out of manufacture. Is there a new darling in the industry? Did any other companies rip off the THD schematic? Curious to see if it was all it was cracked up to be.

2. ski_fast

ski_fast Silver Supporting Member

The THD 2x12 is a great cabinet. Two similar designs are by Mojave (thicker plywood) and Naylor.

3. Stormin

Stormin Tele's and Plexis Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I owned 2-3 THD cabs over years. IMHO, they were great because they were light and compact. They were not so great because they sounded congested due to the small cabinet volume.

For me, I'm personally happier with somewhat bigger 2x12 cabs: Matchless, Bogner, etc...

4. Naregnemyes

Naregnemyes Member

Does the size matter all that much when the back is open that big? I can see why it matters if there's a closed back or there's an actual ported design (as opposed to a huge open panel).

5. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Yes there is a new darling, check out Barefaced cabs. Their 1x12" rivals many 2x12"'s and then some.

blackba and drew365 like this.
  6. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

THD made a batch maybe a year ago. I would not be surprised if contacted Andy Marshall he would sell you one.

7. DGA

DGA Member

Didn’t Avatar build them for THD?

8. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I can't tell you about ported, but I'm finding that larger size cabs extend the lows and highs, both sealed and open back.

Used THD Cabs do show up often on the GC Used site. There are four listed right now, but no super deals on price.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  9. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

I still use 1. It's super compact and lightweight. It sounds much punchier than a standard open back design but agree it's more congested than say an orange 2x12 or 1936.
    Dimensions let me fit a 2061 when I stand it vertical and a small box Marshall when horizontal so for live use it's just way too practical for me to worry about a slightly different tone. Probably wouldnt use it in the studio though

10. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

Had a friends for a while
    Light weight
    good tones from clean to dirty
    great 2x12
    remember thinking if i had to ditch my 4x12 id prob get one of these

11. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

Impressive!

12. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

I have a THD 2x12 Cab and I put a pair of Celestion Neo Creambacks in it and now it weighs less than most 1x12’s and it sounds better than with the original speakers.

I use it with a Jim Kelley Reissue Head and the tone is great, even at low volumes.(see my avatar for a picture)

13. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Member

The snow of Cleveland Ohio and sun of Daytona Bch
    Check out Dr Z Z-Best cab. They are lighter in weight now.

Barefaced needs a US manufacturer to cut down on that cost - then they’d have a chance of competing over here

guitar007 likes this.
  14. Kostas

Kostas Member

Build quality was excellent but I agree
    I kept mine for ten years, sold it empty a couple months ago. I tried several speakers and it wasn't bad but it wasn't great also. I always preferred my Orange 4x12, the THD had become my test cab for new speakers and when it had only speaker I prefered the sound. I have posted this photo before, I was always curious about the Mesa 3/4 cabs, found a brand new one on sale a couple years ago. Same dimensions with THD, similar build quality but much better tone. Not only I like the stock speaker but it has a spacious tone, it can fool you for a bigger cab.

[​IMG]

BTW...The cab was considered by THD as a closed cab, the port on the back was for bass reflex.

15. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

No.

16. Stormin

Stormin Tele's and Plexis Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

That cab was a tuned slot port. I would not call the design open back - it was very much like a closed design.

17. dspellman

dspellman Member

Barefaced have been around for a while. If you look, you'll find they started as Barefacedbass dot com, building lightweight and extended frequency response BASS cabinets. Some guitar players had taken to hauling their bass cabinets around because they sounded better than most of the guitar cabinets on the market. Alex Claber needed to be a pretty good acoustic engineer to build those cabinets, so when he was asked to do cabinets specifically for guitarists, it was likely that he was going to come up with something pretty good.

It's worth noting that if you're playing downtuned or extended range guitars, you'll do better with one of his bass cabinets (and a ton of power to drive it).

blackba and Blix like this.