• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What happened to the Tom Bukovac Injured Finger Thread?

solphilcox

yes it's true. I have yet to meet tom in person but most of the guys I know are close to him, and the word is that he shut it in a door about three months ago. Apparently aesthetically it has healed up like new but they expect at least another 6 months for the tendons to heal.

sucks to be him. Get well soon.

He has recorded some of the finest tones in history.

Frank Prince

Silver Supporting Member

hottubes

you people on here are so damned nice.....i can't tell you how much i appreciate the kind words about my salvation army three fingered slide performance.
i was jacked up on about three cups of rocket fuel french press coffee at the time.
the truth is, it wasn't a door that got me, it was an old Neve sidecar broadcast console. i was trying to lift it out of a road case up onto a stand with another fella...the f**king thing slipped out of my hands (about 500 pounds) and guillotined the middle finger of my left hand on a case tray lip.

it was horrible.....REALLY scary **** for me.
these last couple months of healing have been a serious moment of introspection to say the least. just as of last week i got back to work a little....played a couple sessions and it went as well as could be expected.
if i apply several coats of superglue to the tip of that middle finger it acts as enough of a shock absorber to fret the occasional note with it when i really need to, but mainly i'm relearning how to play with the other three fingers...figuring out new ways to finger chords and play various licks...it's not too difficult really when you get used to it. think of your ol' buddy next time you're plunkin' around on your favorite plunk....try playing a bunch of stuff without using your middle finger at all....it's pretty weird feeling. my advice to all you guitar slingers is DO NOT DO WHAT I DID....be careful with your hands!!!!!!

love
Tom Bukovac

oxtone

Tom,

Wow, so sorry hear about this! I certainly hope you heal up fast, and get back in the studio's, working your tone-al magic fingers.

Yup, we players have to protect our hands and fingers - I know a few players who are now refered to as "Stubby", after accidents with table saws and log splitters! But, the injuries were to their thumbs, and they've adapted well since the accidents, and still play guitar.

Take care!

goneracin

Damn Tom. I didnt know about that. Sorry to hear that man. Hope it is a speedy recovery for you man.
Bob

Luke Gibson

Gold Supporting Member
hottubes said:
you people on here are so damned nice.....i can't tell you how much i appreciate the kind words about my salvation army three fingered slide performance.
i was jacked up on about three cups of rocket fuel french press coffee at the time.
the truth is, it wasn't a door that got me, it was an old Neve sidecar broadcast console. i was trying to lift it out of a road case up onto a stand with another fella...the f**king thing slipped out of my hands (about 500 pounds) and guillotined the middle finger of my left hand on a case tray lip.

it was horrible.....REALLY scary **** for me.
these last couple months of healing have been a serious moment of introspection to say the least. just as of last week i got back to work a little....played a couple sessions and it went as well as could be expected.
if i apply several coats of superglue to the tip of that middle finger it acts as enough of a shock absorber to fret the occasional note with it when i really need to, but mainly i'm relearning how to play with the other three fingers...figuring out new ways to finger chords and play various licks...it's not too difficult really when you get used to it. think of your ol' buddy next time you're plunkin' around on your favorite plunk....try playing a bunch of stuff without using your middle finger at all....it's pretty weird feeling. my advice to all you guitar slingers is DO NOT DO WHAT I DID....be careful with your hands!!!!!!

love
Tom Bukovac

Sorry to hear about your mishap Tom (late to the party, I know...) Last year I nearly cut the same finger off in a machine at work, scared the **** out of me it happened sooo fast. I have some nerve damage (it's still numb on the top & feels weird) but I'm still playing. .....well compared to you, trying to play, lol! Hang in there!!!!

Babaji

...Tom,
I lost the end of my left hand index finger(5/8") back in the early 1980's. I still perform as a guitar player for drunks in bars most weekends! Six months after my accident(running trim as a carpenter between gigs) I was playing in an Art rock/Fusion band. It took two years for me to do proper blues first finger bends and vibrato again. Let your finger heal, but keep plugging away at getting it back to work. Scale and Mode practice really got my finger back in the game. Some chords are a little less friendly, but there are lots of substitutions out there. You will get back to where you were/are! Love your style and S.B. too!
Regards,
Bill

awallace

Tom, we don't know each other but do have a mutual friend that turned me on to the (extremely entertaining) Session Man blog entries. Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

All the best,

crifasta

Gold Supporting Member
Sorry to hear about your accident Tom and hope you return to form soon. That vid is jaw-dropping without even considering you had a busted up digit and a slide on another. :eek:

reddgeetarzan

Gold Supporting Member
Wow......that sucks!! I had a rack full of gear break my big toe once, but that's NOTHING compared to your accident........AND its your fretting hand! I wish you a speedy recovery!!! You are an amazing player- absolutely love your playing!!!

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
Tom, looking at this thread, it's the first time I've heard of your name and your playing and after reading the story of your injury I just wanted to say that, while I certainly hope your finger heals 100% and you get back to where you were physically, you've opened up a new path because of the injury and it is your musicianship that will endure, regardless of whatever physical limitations may result. You will always have that, and that is priceless.

I wish you the best.

Trending Topics