What happened to trex?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Supern00b, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Supern00b

Supern00b Member

I remember in like 2006 they were pretty popular

2. King Rat

King Rat Member

They are the leonardo dicaprio of the modern effects world...

Amazing in most everything they do.. just always short of the Oscar because there are some fine effects out there.

3. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Silver Supporting Member

Not sure but I want the Neocomp and the Replay Box.

4. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I've never really cared for their effects but I do have a Fuel Tank Jr. and it works great.

coltonius likes this.
  5. Lriagan

Lriagan Member

They are getting a lot of buzz recently because of the Tape Echo they showed off at NAMM. Although no clips have come up hearing the thing. Looks rather promising.

6. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I wonder if the cheap ToneBug line they released had anything to do with this. Maybe it harmed their brand being thought of as high end and drove away certain types of high end buyers? Anyway, I notice they don't offer the ToneBugs anymore. They also did that thing where they licensed other pedals and resold them. Then there's an expensive motorized OD unit, which seemed a little pointless. They just seem hit and miss, throwing all sorts of stuff on the wall. They may have lost their way somewhat. I've had two of their offerings. The Moller and the Twin Boost. The Moller remains a favorite. The Twin Boost was not to my liking. Oh, I had a couple of the Tonebugs too, I hardly remember them.

7. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I don't disagree RockD. My ToneBug experience was forgettable as well. Also the GC exclusive Crunchy Frog might have diminished the brand.
    Keeping it simple would have been a good thing, but would not have expanded the brand awareness. The Replica delays, Moller, and Mudhoney are great units. Anyone that would spring for a ToneBug or CrFrog are shopping with their wallet and would not consider any of the TRex classics.
    The power supplies are very good, but a little short of being competitive in the market. The Fuel Tank Jr only has 100mA Max per tap.

8. AdamSH89

AdamSH89 Member

It seems like there's a cheaper alternative to almost every sound they offer. I mean, none of their boxes ever sound "bad" to me, but they don't really stand out from their cheaper competitors in terms of sound (and features now that I think about it). No disrespect intended to them whatsoever; I'd gladly use a full trex board if one landed in my lap. However, at their current pricepoint they just don't offer anything that wows me.

9. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

I don't think the issue is brand dilution, rather the price of T-Rex effects in the States. It's pretty cheap in my country thanks to a great dealer.

But I feel T-Rex faces a typical issue seeing it's from Europe, kinda like Himmelstrutz, BJFE, Okko, amongst others. Only TC is affordable from the region from the top of my head.

10. CDP

CDP Member

I know it isn't popular here on TGP, and its a multi-effect unit. But I like my Trex Magnus a lot. Compact, lightweight with very useable delay, verb, OD, distortion and a boost. Not crazy about the onboard tuner, but it's there. All for about $250, it's my practice / jam session pedalboard.
    Never gig with it but it's in my truck should my gigging pedalboard have an issue.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Composite decking? They're still around.

drifterphase and lefort_1 like this.
  12. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

T-rex has moved its production to China a while ago and tend to use SMD more and more nowadays while keeping the same prices. It doesn't look like a consistent move to me. Probably that is the reason why they've lost a part of their boutique market positioning. But some of their pedals still stay quite nice though.

13. DRS

DRS Member

trex? trex? Oh - T.Rex:D

14. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

can't agree. i bought a Crunchy Frog and it was because it is a really good overdrive to start with. since i liked it i have been much more inclined to invest in some of their more expensive pedals. as mentioned their higher end stuff is on the pricey side here in the States. if i didn't try an affordable pedal and like it it's not very likely that i would have went for a more expensive one especially if i couldn't try before buying.

15. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

I think that until something like 6-7 years ago or so they were very classy and quality effects - with a particular "reserved", yet distinctive sound - that ended up in many pro boards. After that, I agree they kinda diluted their personality, released some rather unremarkable "hit and miss, throwing all sorts of stuff on the wall" pedals (as mentioned a few posts before), faced very difficult competition from just about everyone, and finally lost their market place and their way a bit. Maybe they need to re-evaluate their strategy.

16. guitarburger

guitarburger Member

Favorite distortion is tha' Mudhoney.
    Yikes is it rich.

17. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

They make great stuff- but the buy in is harsh in the usa. The replica is one of my faves and I gigged it for like 5 years.

18. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I've been using their blue Fuel Tank for years....thing is a perfect supply. Love it. Haven't tried any of their pedals though.

19. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

i had two of there pedals the reverb tank with the tube, and the trex moller as my ts sound i also owned the first version of there fuel tank and there pedal board with hardcase. that was about 5 years back. they were sought after pedals back then and the new lineup of pedals just look and sound cheap in comparison. maybe as because of another user mentioned there move to china. i did often think of how t-rex are doing but i dont have any interest in there new pedals.

20. Supern00b

Supern00b Member

Have their older models been affected (e.g. mudhoney, replica) after they moved production to China?