What has the best Fenderish cleans, but isn't a Fender?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MeMota, Apr 13, 2009.

1. MeMota

MeMota Member

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new amp and was am after great, Frender-ish cleans - but not from a Fender. My perhaps misguided reasons are that the DRRI I started this whole journey on doesn't take pedals well and I don't want to go down the modification route there. Other Fenders I've tried are perhaps too inflexible or too loud for me (like a Super 4x10).

So, what has great Fender-ballpark cleans that doesn't have Fender on the faceplate?

Needs to break up nicely too. I am happy to attenuate, so power not a big issue but under 40 watts probably better.

Fairly open question I know but I thought I'd see what your favourites are

Cheers

2. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

A vintage Fender, and the right pedals, Sorry, Ive tried most of the Fender sounding amps, and the best is a vintage Fender. theres lots of pedals that sound incredible with these amps.

3. MeMota

MeMota Member

I'm in Australia, the vintage Fender market is small and VERY expensive. Should have mentioned that, sorry.

4. Peppy

Peppy Member

Carr Rambler is one suggestion...similar to your requirements.

5. jazzwannabe

jazzwannabe Supporting Member

Consider tweed Peavey amps, like the Classic 30, Classic 50 or Delta Blues. They have good cleans, thought not exactly Fendery, but still very good, and pretty darn decent overdrive, plus reverb. The Delta amps have tremolo, too. These amps have a solid reputation for tone and reliability, and they handle pedals well.

6. Unabender

Unabender Member

That's a bit like saying you want a vehicle that can carry load like a truck, but you don't want a truck.

7. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

+1. Although it's a pretty bright amp with s/c's. I'm goign to try a speaker swap in mine.

8. james66

james66 Member

The Carvin X-100B re-issues have an Excellent Clean channel very Fender like.

9. MeMota

MeMota Member

And I am a single coil kind of guy

10. MeMota

MeMota Member

Maybe..... you made me second guess asking this for a second but perhaps I'm just after a different make of truck.

ahem
    :D

11. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

IMO the best replacement for a drri is a Tone King Imperial. Great blackface sounds at around 20 watts. The rhythm channel is like a mix between a Princeton and a deluxe. Great trem too.

12. cycler

cycler Supporting Member

affordable at used prices, Allen amps...specifically the Accomplice

13. vds5000

vds5000 Member

You may also want to look into Victoria amps. Their tweed line are actually recreations of vintage Fender tweed amps.

14. wire 247

wire 247 Member

oldfield amps club series are excellent for what you are looking for. The oldfield club is amazing....

15. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

This is the brand that I always think of.

I'm surprised you didn't think the DRRI didn't take pedals well though. Sometimes with that amp I think it's the speaker that people don't like more than anything. Or maybe you'd just prefer a head and cab to a 1x12 combo...

16. GaryOz

GaryOz Member

In Sydney I would suggest Reynolds Valveart in Windsor. Pete Reynolds makes a JFR combo that is very pedal friendly and Fenderish. Also Ledford Amps in Botany. Duane does great work. For a different take MI Audio Revelation is an amazing amp. Michael Ibrahim's "swiss army knife" 4 ch switchable head available as a 60 watt, sure to find a sound in there you'll like.
    There's also the Suhr Badger 18 takes pedals well but not a Fender sound more like a Vox meets Small Marshall combo. Good Power Scaling, valve driven FX loop.

Gary.

17. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I'd say stick to the Fender... What about a HR Deluxe? Are they not available down there? The clean channel is a very nice clean and the amp handles pedals well. If it's too loud, you can always swap the power tubes to bring down the output.

18. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Ceriatone OTS? great cleans.

19. picnic

picnic Member

Mesa Lonestar Classic It's a BFDR and a TR in one box.

20. goodman

goodman Member

I had a similar search. Was looking for a very natural sounding amp which was warm and took pedals well. Found this in a Victoria Victoriette which is in between a tweed and blackface and is around 20 watts.