• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

what have i just done to improve my tone?

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
im all over the place with these threads! while searching for an annoying hum in my amp..i swapped put the v1 preamp tube and removed the extension cab.i think it improved the hum a bit. but...damn.. i love the tone even more now. its warmer..lows are tighter. nothing brittle sounding! can swapping one preamp tube really make that difference? i suspect removing the jbl extension cab may have helped too. maybe i just dont want to believ the jbl could be bad for my setup. the involved partys are a mesa mark 4 combo with evm. maybe i should try a diff ext cab?

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, one preamp tube can make a difference in the sound, especially the V1. A JBL speaker ususally has a brighter sound so disconnecting it would make the amp sound "warmer".

kimock

im all over the place with these threads! while searching for an annoying hum in my amp..i swapped put the v1 preamp tube and removed the extension cab.i think it improved the hum a bit. but...damn.. i love the tone even more now. its warmer..lows are tighter. nothing brittle sounding! can swapping one preamp tube really make that difference? i suspect removing the jbl extension cab may have helped too. maybe i just dont want to believ the jbl could be bad for my setup. the involved partys are a mesa mark 4 combo with evm. maybe i should try a diff ext cab?
Probably running a higher impedance too, if all you did was disconnect one speaker.

Trending Topics