What have you learned over the years of buying/selling guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Johnny21, Jan 17, 2017.

1. OHSOFUZZY

OHSOFUZZY Member

It was a waste of time and effort.
    I'm not too picky with gear. Give me something that is decent and I'll sound like me with it.
    Should have been practicing, writing, playing and recording instead.

The upside was getting to try out a bunch of really cool gear over the years.

In the end......
    Started on a Strat. My #1 now is a HSS strat.
    Got a Line 6 Helix LT and sold nearly all of my amps, cabs and pedals.

JMMP1 and PBGas like this.
  2. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

What have I learned? Keep 'em. Don't get rid of 'em.

Flogger59, Whogo, jcs and 1 other person like this.
  3. gillman royce

gillman royce Supporting Member

Not everyone likes what I like.
    Many people think you should expect to take a loss when you sell.
    That upgrading a guitar adds nothing to the value when you sell it.
    That one man's PAF is another man's FAP(Find Another Pickup).
    That everyone REALLY just wants the classic models & brand - LP, 335, Strat,Tele - and at fire sale prices or you're an unrealistic jerk( see #2).
    That having a fret job done on a vintage piece somehow turns it into a player grade piece.
    That there are more partscasters being passed off as vintage than what Leo originally made.
    That people will praise Heritage guitars as being as legit if not better than Gibson but still won't buy them.
    And finally : That a cheap guitar autographed by ____ is valuable, collectable and desirable.

Steadfastly likes this.
  4. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

I kept looking for a Silver Sky, a Les Paul Standard, and a Jazzmaster, I just didn't know it.

5. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

If you're trying to buy and sell guitars in this market and make a profit, don't bother!

Unless you can get something for a song and are certain you can flip it successfully.

6. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Hiding from Murder Hornets in Atlanta, GA
    1. Jumbo frets, please.
    2. Bonus for SS jumbo frets.
    3. I'm not a Weight Weenie, i.e. I don't toss and turn at night over 16 extra ounces, etc. I'm not scared of even 10+ lb guitars as long as they sound great.
    4. Heavy, rigid Dunlop TIII 1.14 picks + 10-46 strings = Profit.
    5. Won't stay in tune = Not worth my time. Virtually ANY guitar can sound glorious through my Mesa Marks, but not all guitars are total packages.
    6. Scallops have their place.
    7. EMGs have their place and reign supreme for certain types of playing.
    8. Sig guitars can be awesome and inspiring. Just know yourself as a player first.
    9. Plastic nuts do not survive on my guitars. Acceptable answers are bone, TUSQXL, graphite and brass.
    10. Alternate/Fat Floyd blocks can make a huge difference, but aren't always necessary. Consider Pros and Cons, and choose wisely, if at all.
    11. Before you bother to significantly modify a guitar or sell it because you aren't "bonding" :fisticuffswith it, first try a pro setup (or do it yourself if highly skilled) and maybe alternative/upgrade trem parts or different strings. It can be transformative.
    12. Keep the original parts, paperwork, and even case candy :oops: if you think you may sell a guitar in the future. Some collector types get really excited by those things.
    13. Longterm Online Stalking can pay dividends. If you see some poor chap who hasn't been able to sell his guitar in over a year, you can swoop in like the Devil's agent in the movie Crossroads and make him a deal. Does that make me a bad person? :bonk

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    LoadedGoat and jcs like this.
  7. shredtrash

shredtrash Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Get a great one and be done with it.

DakotaRed and jcs like this.
  8. majorbanjo

majorbanjo Member

staple brands like.....Fenders, Gibsons, PRS and a few others......sell quicker than boutique guitars.....by a long shot...

jcs and MkIII Renegade like this.
  9. Michael Andrew

Michael Andrew Member

What I’ve learned:

- An electric guitar is only one small piece of the signal chain.

- You can improve guitar playability by getting your guitar setup professionally.

- Starts and Telecasters sound similar (to me)

- Buying a lightly used guitar is just as good as getting a new guitar at GC.

- I like humbuckers more than single coils.

At this point I know what I like and don’t buy/trade stuff as much as I used to. However, I’m interested in trying something new when the time is right. A PRS with a Floyd would be cool.

10. jcs

jcs Member

Agreed except #3....9 lbs is my limit these days and certainly not my preferred...under 8lbs is best by a long shot....you may be the same some day!

11. jcs

jcs Member

Makes a lot of sense....but too much difference tonally between a Strat vs 335 etc, so one great one wont happen with me likely!

12. JMMP1

JMMP1 Member

What I’ve learned:
    I like stainless frets.
    Contoured heels are nice, but I don’t spend that much time on the frets they aid with.
    I hate batteries in guitars. 9V are the worst.
    Most guitars have good/interesting sounds.

I’m narrowing down my collection, and picking which ones to sell is hard. The biggest thing I’ve learned is my dislike for batteries overwhelms the presence of features I like/appreciate.

13. eddie101

eddie101 Gold Supporting Member

What have I learned; that I love guitars, man!! And people are generally nice and courteous IF you treat them nicely. IOW, don’t be a jerk. Over 30 some years of buying/selling, I got ripped off just once from a sixteen year old kid. Not a bad track record, if you ask me.

Sam Sherry likes this.
  14. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member

I have mad skills when it comes to rationalizing purchasing ANOTHER guitar.

justabubba, LoadedGoat and EL34 like this.
  15. Robotechnology

Robotechnology Supporting Member

That if you want to make owning multiple guitars easier, buy used!

And

If you buy new, you better love it because 99% of the time you will lose money on it if you sell.

The same principles go for amps too :)

David MacNeill and eddie101 like this.
  16. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Here’s a new one for me. Old guitars may have old saddles. Tuning and buzzing issues may require TLC in problem areas but a saddle or nut fix may make that recent trade or purchase a keeper.

The last two guitars I brought in were Strats, both with those crappy zinc saddles from the 70s. On one Strat I just swapped out the whole thing for brass, the other I moved things around so the strings wouldn’t fall into the same nasty grooves that have sawed their way in. Guess what? Tuning and tone problems solved!

Json likes this.
  17. supergenius365

supergenius365 Supporting Member

Hold on to them if financially possible. One day you will wake up and say “Dang. I wish I still had that _____”. I do this a lot lately.

18. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

I can get a fairly accurate and reliable idea of the age/condition/construction of the guitar (or amp) from the writing ability of the seller.

In other words, if the seller is glib, forthcoming, explanatory, detailed, etc. - even about flaws or damage - my confidence goes up. If the description is full of cliches and protest-too-much contradictions like 'great instrument I just don't play it' then I become more skeptical and move on.

19. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

It’s a lot easier to buy guitars than it is to sell them. That’s why I have so many more than I can justify owning.

Old Beginner56 and LoadedGoat like this.
  20. LoadedGoat

LoadedGoat Member

If I don't like the neck it's not for me. (and it's got to be maple) I like inexpensive guitars and a good setup. An inexpensive guitar with a good setup is better than an expensive guitar with a factory setup.