What I like about surf music. You?

Shane Sanders

1. It seems to absorb other styles in a way that can be unified if you're willing to use some conventions, but it's still ultimately just clever and accessible Rock 'n' Roll

2. Compositions are usually quite pithy, which means anything special or unusual in an arrangement is going to stand out (in a good way)

3. Timbre can be just as important as melody or rhythm--instrumentation can vary quite a lot which makes it interesting

4. It has a cool history and can invoke nostalgia even in those who did not originally experience the first wave of the genre

5. It encourages both quick and slow guitar work, thus encouraging diversity in musical expression

6. Largely instrumental in nature, it allows the music to just be an abstraction apart from an expectation of verbal/poetic expression

7. Tube reverb is the shizz

On a related note, come hang with me on Spotify with my "Charlie Don't Surf" playlist. I've worked pretty hard to make it good. It has some wonderful tracks in it, both old and new. Sometimes I put things in there that are only tangentially related to surf (spy/twang/spaghetti western), but the majority of it 'surfs' ...

https://open.spotify.com/user/immortalchorus/playlist/6OxxO21YeljRuerUtHlUJp

or

search for Spotify user "Shane Sanders" under the 'people' tab

or click this link

You might also like my "Palette of Exoticisms" playlist which is primarily Exotica with some cool jazz and occasional retro thing tossed in. I continue to expand it, but have it fairly well arranged for mood.

https://open.spotify.com/user/immortalchorus/playlist/31KPfYX47amIswtjfdmxil

Last edited:

Dave2512

Easily my fave style of guitar playing. Recently enjoyed an afternoon drinking craft brew and watching Los Straitjackets perform at a beer fest in Central City CO. It was a good day.

scolfax

Silver Supporting Member
Damn, the playlists aren't loading for me. Says "Load user error".

OK, back to The Mermen for me!

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Most of the music I listen to is introspective. Surf music is escapist. Therefore, on the days I want to get out of my own head and just Hang Ten, surf music's a great way to do it!

BTW, i believe this is a fundamental difference between early and late Beach Boys music. Early stuff is fun fun fun in the sun, and the Boys ruled that roost with an iron fist. to go the direction that Pet Sounds took them was almost a 180 is musical direction, and a crazy bold move (and created a crapload of tension in the band!)

GTechNick

Just subscribed to the playlist. Looks good.

You should also check out "Twang, Surf, & Rautalanka". It's like 4 days worth of tracks.

Also, I'm in a 60's rock/surf cover band, and we have a pretty decent playlist with our catalog "Chad Shivers and the Summer Knights".

Shane Sanders

Just subscribed to the playlist. Looks good.

You should also check out "Twang, Surf, & Rautalanka". It's like 4 days worth of tracks.

Also, I'm in a 60's rock/surf cover band, and we have a pretty decent playlist with our catalog "Chad Shivers and the Summer Knights".
Right on! Cool song in your sig, btw. I should mention that the link is broken a bit, but easy to repair once one sees what is wrong with it (TGP is adding some stuff before your desired URL)...

GTechNick

Right on! Cool song in your sig, btw. I should mention that the link is broken a bit, but easy to repair once one sees what is wrong with it (TGP is adding some stuff before your desired URL)...
Thanks for the kind words and the heads up man (I think I fixed the bandcamp link). :beer

GTechNick

Wiki says that a Facebook account is mandatory to have Spotify. I can't find out definitively on Spotify's website.

Can anyone verify that a Facebook acc't is mandatory?

Thanks.
It wasn't when I signed up, but I do have FB acct. So, I dunno :huh.

Stratofuzz

Silver Supporting Member
Surf music stirs my soul (played instrumental surf music since '85).

Many people have assumed it would be easy to play and quickly found out that's the case. Kinda like the blues in anyone can play 3 chords but not everyone can make it goodtime music.

Twangdaddy

I also enjoy spy tunes. I try to play some Mermen tunes at least once a day. Absolutely great driving music - no distractions from vocals/lyrics - gotta watch that accelerator, though!

Tahitijack

I'm in an insturmental surf music band (Ventures, Dick Dale, Surfaris) and we enjoy playing the stuff, but last Saturday we played a gig and for the first time we got requests for Bob Seeger, and Bee Gees (not kidding). It set me back a bit since we don't sing and don't play covers. The audience for surf music is there but its small. We had played this place several times before so they knew us but on Saturday they wanted something different.

coldfingaz

I don't listen to a ton of it, but I really do enjoy it.

Bands like Los Straitjackets are great live, too. They tend to draw crowds from a very diverse demographic. This makes for a good time at their shows, which range from festival appearances to small club gigs. Everyone from people that just love to dance to those that appreciate fine musicianship can dig what they do.

Tahitijack

Woops, I thought I'd get hit for saying we don't play covers....we do..Pipeline, Miserlou, Endless Summer, Surf Rider etc. I suggested we try to twang and 'verb some classic rock songs, but our lead guitar is a pure surf music dude...nope.

Trending Topics