What I like and dislike about streaming services

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by zekmoe, Apr 16, 2016.

1. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

A few months since we cut the cable, so here are a few observations:

1) binge watching shows I never had time for before. Better without commercials.
    2) lots of new discoveries.
    3) decent hd quality most of the time
    4) overall way cheaper than cable even with several services
    5) smart tv's YouTube app is fun to use

Dislike
    1) lack of blockbusters. No Marvel, Harry Potter, most Clint Eastwood, Bond, other big releases.
    2) new releases less frequent than desired
    3) searching across services annoys impatient wife
    4) some favorite tv shows no where to be found . Disappointing but not a deal breaker, I'm surprised how little I really care

I get local stuff/major network great on the antenna, pay for yearly Amazon prime and think it's worth it just for the shipping . Hulu and Netflix. So far, not regretting letting the cable go.
    Neither do the kids, though they sort of miss ESPN.

fishruss likes this.
  2. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

thanks for the review, I have been considering this for some time now

3. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Who/what area you using as your connection for the streaming? I'm thinking of doing the same, but very limited options where I live.

4. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

The main tv died around the time I decided to do this, so I just use the apps on it natively available on the new set, a 65" Sony XBR. Kids game room had a 50" though not XBR. It behaves slower than the main set though good enough. Wife got an Amazon Fire stick for her yoga room.
    The tv doesn't have Sling which is maybe the only other service I'd consider for The Walking Dead and ESPN.
    Right now I'm watching reviews and demos of the Boss SY300, which I've been considering. Way more fun than depressing news and BBT reruns.

5. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

WE cut cable fully about 7 years ago when Hulu was finally available on Roku. Cable sucks and I will never go back to it.

First, people who switch have to get out oif the traditional cable mindset of of "channel surfing". First it will show how much you wanted watching absolutely nothing or the same Seinfeld rerun you've seen a millions timers in the last 20 years. Our the same movie on FX. You will quickly realize how little you actually watched.

Second- I watch literally everything and more than anybody with cable does. In fact I have MORE. And I can watch it whenever I want, how much I want. In fact going out of town and staying in a hotel that has premium cable is frustrating- you realize you have no control over what you watch. Its seems such an antiquated concept now.

Third, if you think for your $8 a month to Netflix that you were going to get every new release, like the best cable package ever but for only $8, then your expectations are too high. Be realistic. Plus if your tastes are only for the latest mega hit blockbusters only, then yeah you will have some disappointment.

Fourth- you may have to buy some shows you like from Amazon or other service. I buy The Walking Dead. But its only for a few weeks out of the year. At $3 an episode.

Fifth- with all the the streaming packages, you can still be add-ons channels and buy shows season/episodes and still be under the cost of cable. By a lot. I buy HBO Now, Hulu, Amazon Prime (we were Prime members before they had streaming, so it a plus for us), Netflix and Starz through Amazon. Thats $15, $8, $9 (again I count ti as free as we used Prime extensively previously before streaming services), $8 and $8. Thats $50. And I can watch whatever I want, when I want. The few current Season shows I watch may add a bit more (say $15 a month at most) but again still cheaper than cable. No DVR, no Premium channels I pay for that I wont ever watch, no endless parade of programming I hate and no wasted time just "channel surfing". NO commercial breaks. I can watch a whole Season of a series or all movies all day.

And OP- every one of your "cant find it I have access to with one of the Channels I listed above. Literally every single item. Marvel movies (Starz), Clint movies (Starz, Amazon, HBO Now), Harry Potter (Starz I think? One of them) was on some streaming service or another.

We went out of town the other week and were in the Hotel with cable. My daughter was like "I want to watch Mickey. Will you put it on?" I tried to explain that's not how cable works, that we could only watch what they wanted us to watch. Even a 3 year old understood how silly that concept seemed. All shes ever know was the streaming, so can can watch whatever show she wants when we let her watch TV.

So maybe its not even the massive savings (but again I pay half of what I did for cable) but the freedom that I get with streaming that I will never have with cable. One day we'll look back at cable programming the same way we see the days of only 3 major networks and antennas.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    EL34 likes this.
  6. FFTT

FFTT Member

I'm doing Netflix and Binge @ 480p to my iPhone 6s Plus. T-Mobile

Unlimited streaming that would have cost a fortune on ATT

ATT was $10.00 pr GB

Last month streamed 106 GB into my iPhone.
    Netflix running Binge On 480 is not counted towards your monthly bandwidth rates.

Still deciding how to connect to my LED TV.

Its a total productivity killing time suck, but nice to have.

Agree the movie content could be way more up to date, at least to Red Box levels.

Any plan where I have to pay extra PPV to watch a new release is out.
    I'll just go to the local machines.
    Closest rental machine 1 mile away and really current.

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

I'm doing Netflix and Binge On @ 480p to my iPhone 6s Plus. T-Mobile

All LTE at the moment.

A separate Wifi Hot spot would cost me an extra $20.00 per month with a 6 GB limit.

ATT was $10.00 pr GB

YouTube videos were eating huge chunks on bandwidth.

Last month T-Mobile streamed 106 GB, mostly Netflix into my iPhone.
    Netflix running Binge On 480 is not counted towards your monthly bandwidth rates.

My plan runs $117.00 per month but that includes the iPhone 6S Plus.
    The rate plan is $80.00 per month.

Agree the movie content could be way more up to date, at least to Red Box levels.

8. FFTT

FFTT Member

I'm doing Netflix and Binge On @ 480p to my iPhone 6s Plus. T-Mobile

All LTE ate the moment.

A separate Wifi Hot spot would cost me an extra $20.00 per month with a 6 GB limit.

ATT was $10.00 pr GB

YouTube videos were eating huge chunks on bandwidth.

Last month T-Mobile streamed 106 GB, mostly Netflix into my iPhone.

My plan runs $117.00 per month but that includes the iPhone 6S Plus.
    The rate plan is $80.00 per month.

9. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

okay

okay

okay

Netflix sucks. Cut them loose, went with Hulu and Amazon. Much happier now.

A-Bone likes this.
  10. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    You have to have an internet connection in order to use it though. That's what I was asking about. You can cut the cable so to speak, as far as a TV package, but you still need an internet connection. We only have 2 choices here, Verizon DSL (because the dopes won't put Fios in our county) or Comcast (if you cancel the TV and keep the internet, they supposedly will just jack up the internet price on you).

11. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Oh, I kept the higher speed time Warner cable package around $55. We don't have options where I live. The cable plus all the bs hardware was $188. Given that I already spent for Netflix and Amazon I figure I'm at least $100/month less with more choice.
    I would have kept it all if it were around $100 for cable, Internet and the boxes but the add ons annoyed me enough to leave. They charged $4/month for The Guide, which I guess was the low res menu system on the crap box.

12. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

Here's how things go in Chez Explorer:

Netflix disc and streaming. Disc gets us absolutely new releases, and also really rare ones which are otherwise unavailable.

Local library has DVD and BluRay discs, and also streaming. We get on the holds list as soon as a series is on order.

Our local used book stores sell CDs, DVDs and BD discs, and the larger ones have scratched-but-guaranteed-to-play *really* cheap. So, when there's a movie we will watch more than for a short period, we keep our eyes open for it.

The discs get ripped to the hard drive and run through Handbrake, furnishing us with a compact solution when traveling and making it easier to manage what we watch at home. On a trip with a child who wants a favorite episode? An adapter lets us plug any iDevice into an HDMI input on the hotel TV, and a small mobile hotspot combined with a 2TB USB hard drive lets us watch just about anything on the road we might watch at home, in addition to the streaming content we can also run from an iDevice to the TV.

We sign up for new releases on DVD on netflix and move them to the top of our list when we notice that they're going to be released, so we usually get them as soon as they become available, and the same for the library, but occasionally we still use Redbox when we need to.

We have Xfinity internet, which entitles us to free Wifi through the various Xfinity modems throughout our area. It's no longer surprising to be out and wanting to look up directions to something, and to find an open Xfinity network, obviating the need to use the phone plan.

So, Xfinity, Netflix, and a few incidentals, and we're done.

13. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Starz seems to be restricted on time warner cable. The apps sign up screens msg me that they're not available on my cable provider. Must be an exclusive deal thing.

14. fishruss

fishruss Member

I have been surprised since I cut the cable last year how little I care about whats on tv. I just binge watch a few shows I like on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and HBO NOW. The time saved from just mindlessly watching garbage goes to playing guitar now. I also save close to $100 a month from the cable package I used to have.

critter74 likes this.
  15. critter74

No try through Amazon. You can add them to your Amazon Prime for $8 (they have quite a few "add on channels via Amazon Prime). Showtime too (though it sucks). It integrates with your Amazon Prime channel.

16. critter74