• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What iconic guitars are not actually what people think they are?

Badside

I mean like how Bille Joe Armstrong's iconic "Blue" is not a Fender but rather a Fernandes.

Or Slash's guitar on AFD being a copy of a Gibson.

I think EVH's Strat would qualify as well?

Wondering if there are other examples like that.

Pros scratch around and use the best they can, just like everyone else.
The difference between pros and everyone else is they care a little more about tone, than the name on the headstock.
I have sampled literally dozens of guitars with the proper brand names on them in order to find one elite tone grade guitar.
Who can blame them?

eoengineer

Gold Supporting Member
Jimmy Page’s Les Pauls.

jimmy-page-yardbirds.jpg

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
I don't know how iconic it was, but one of the Joe Perry Les Pauls (which version, I can't remember) used by Joe on a tour was built by Orville in Japan. At the time it was said to be the only "legal" Gibson-logo headstock not built by Gibson proper. Joe's tech got a lot of heat (possibly fired, I can't remember) when he gave an interview and mentioned the stress of having the guitar delivered from Japan just in time for the tour.

Zado

Mark Knopfler's Schecter Dream Machine "Strat".
Definitely. It doesn't help that the man himself always avoided mentioning the brand in recent times during interviews and documentaries. He probably doesnt want to be associated with br00tal black nekr0 djent music, which apparently is the genre Schecter makes guitars for.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, technically EVH's original Frankie was a Boogie Body and a Linn Ellsworth Neck....but I think they were early folks who worked for Charvel, correct? i'm probably not up on my EVH guitar history too well....

i didn't know about Armstrong's strat was a Fernandes!!!! interesting!

I mean like how Bille Joe Armstrong's iconic "Blue" is not a Fender but rather a Fernandes.

Or Slash's guitar on AFD being a copy of a Gibson.

I think EVH's Strat would qualify as well?

Wondering if there are other examples like that.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom