What if a person liked "The Boss Sound"?

You know the sound...tight, compressed, cutting. Some might say buzz saw, cocked wah etc. all the usual pejorative descriptions.

I think I'm starting to like it. Am I crazy?

BlaineZeMono

That is mental plasticity, it's normal for human being. Admission -> adoption -> addiction :)
Don't care much seriously, for example i like and use live GT-100 RAT emulation into a real Fender amp a lot while our drummer hates it and i suspect thinking of stealing and firing all my pedals.

Last edited:
It's just that sometimes I want that razor sharp tone. No sag, BANG and it's all happening, like a chain saw making its way through balsa wood. Add some chorus and it's instant Judas Priest. Use my SG with the 498T bridge pickup and it's a match made in (excess distortion) heaven.

I dig it, now and then. Clearly not TGP approved. I know this much: if I didn't have it as an option, I would miss it.

TCMx3

It's just that sometimes I want that razor sharp tone. No sag, BANG and it's all happening, like a chain saw making its way through balsa wood. Add some chorus and it's instant Judas Priest. Use my SG with the 498T bridge pickup and it's a match made in (excess distortion) heaven.

I dig it, now and then. Clearly not TGP approved. I know this much: if I didn't have it as an option, I would miss it.

Boss is definitely TGP approved. Maybe other people aren't as enthusiastic as you but compare with Vertex, Morgan, etc.

If you wait for people to like the things you like you are going to be waiting a long time.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
I have heard a couple guys live using GT100 and I think it sounds fantastic.

chillybilly

Boss pedals? If so, which one?

I once played alongside a bloke who had a GT-100 unit (or similar) with mega-distortion running into a Randall combo with more mega-distortion applied.

It was what an amplified candlestick telephone must have sounded like.

But plenty of people I respect use Boss gear...one musician in particular has an exclusively Boss 10-12 pedal layout.

fazer

The GT-100 and GP-10 are capable of some great sounds, especially when you factor in the price. I have a feeling Boss may bring out an all new unit to compete with the very best soon.

Timboguitar

Boss pedals? If so, which one?

I once played alongside a bloke who had a GT-100 unit (or similar) with mega-distortion running into a Randall combo with more mega-distortion applied.

It was what an amplified candlestick telephone must have sounded like.

But plenty of people I respect use Boss gear...one musician in particular has an exclusively Boss 10-12 pedal layout.
One reason is worldwide compatibility. Your chorus fails on a gig in Taiwan? Buy one at the local music store. Definitely a selling point.

randombastage

Silver Supporting Member
Sometimes I'm that person but usually I find myself trying to get something beyond the constraints of the Boss paradigm.

I enjoy having it as a choice but I could never have it as my only choice

Based on their overall ability to innovate, every year I suspect they will introduce a new amazing modeling device and every year they let me down

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Check the Boss Katana amp thread... :)

I plead guilty for liking the Boss 'sound'. Anyway, I'm more a disciple of if it sounds good it sounds good. I don't care much about the brand.
Thread sidebar: can I control the katana head via midi controller to recall specific channel/effect combinations instead of limiting myself to 4 "favorites"?

partytrain

Prince seemed to do alright with that Boss sound.

Prince_Pedalboard_01.jpg

My Journey,

Up until this last year I was using multi-effects boards with my high gain channel switchers.

Since the mid 90's I had been using my Boss GT-3 and picked up a GT-5 along the way. I know these units like the back of my hand and never had a problem dialing in usable tones. I don't use the amp modeling on them, just effects.

Well, I picked up a line 6 HD-500 to use in place of them a couple years ago, since I had heard and liked alot of the effects on the unit. After about a year I sold it on though because I found in a band setting the effects didnt really cut through, hard to explain, delays and verbs just didnt have a very obvious presence, the drives were real "soft" sounding for lack of a better term, things just sort of got lost in the mix. Now I could see how these might be plusses to some but i actually like my ancient boss units better...

Over the last year or so i started a proper pedalboard and that is going well, but pound for pound I think the Boss units are hard to beat for usable tweakable effects without much fuss that actually stand up in gigging situations.

Your not crazy

Alex Kenivel

Then you're lucky to have so many Boss platforms and options available in different price ranges.

Happy trails

yanakosk

My best lead sounds I have achieve, is with BOSS multi effects. Not so much with my rhythm hi gain. But i hope this will change soon. The small Gt1 gave me hope & expectations for the next big GT flagship....winter NAMM?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom