what if A. Rose was never a member of Guns and Roses?

music321

A friend saw a taped performance of G&R (w/ Rose) on TV recently, and was not impressed. Back in the 80's, Rose had a much better voice, but I wonder what the band would have been like with a more traditional singer. Rose's voice was in a register that let the vocals sit well in the mix. His gritty singing style certainly was a signature of the band, and I wonder if the songs would have "worked" with someone like Pete Townsend or Mick Jagger.

Defendant

Speaking personally, Axl's high register whine and aie-ee-aie-ee-aie-ee-aies were a significant factor in me not liking the band more despite Slash and the great overall sound of the band.

However, that's just me. Appetite alone is 18x platinum, so it's safe to assume others disagree.

Trickstaaah

I didn't really like G&R back in the day, and they're still not really my bag, but Axl has (had?) an amazing voice for rock. Sort of a rougher-edged Zep-era Robert Plant. His sound really helped the band stand out. Hard for me to imagine G&R without it.

AxeLover

As far as I'm concerned Rose's nasal-ish voice was always associated with venereal desease, particularly gonorhea. All that said it sit great in the mix and went along with the whole trashy attitude the band exuded.
I don't know if it answers your question but you can get a taste of how GNR songs sound by listening Miles Kennedy sing them with Slash. IMHO they sounded way better with Axl, maybe because I don't care for Miles' delivery and overall singing style.
I can't believe Page chose him for the Zep tour/record that never materialised - I'd have gone with Chris Cornell.

Petethekiller

The guy is an a-hole but Rose was a dynamic performer, a real original, way removed from the hair metal and Kiedis clones that were around in the later 80's/early 90's. You listen to something like Mr Brownstone and it's still an incredible vocal. I wouldn't say he was G'N'R, but the huge success would have been more muted without him.

Average Joe

The guy is an a-hole but Rose was a dynamic performer, a real original, way removed from the hair metal and Kiedis clones that were around in the later 80's/early 90's. You listen to something like Mr Brownstone and it's still an incredible vocal. I wouldn't say he was G'N'R, but the huge success would have been more muted without him.
To most of the non-playing public the singer IS the band. Whatever I might think of him, GnR wouldn't have been as big without Axl

Planespotter

Without Axl Rose Guns & Roses would not be the legendary rock gods they are(were). They really had something special with the classic lineup.

edwarddavis

Silver Supporting Member
It's the sum of the whole band that made them great.
That's the case with most bands ,
They were a true cool rock band that we sure could use another of right now

What intrigued me about GNR more so than the singing, was the riffs. Slash and Izzy made a good combo. Not simply playing the same rhythms, that was far more interesting to me than the singing, but I'm a guitarist.

s2y

As much as I hate the Axl type, it was all 5 of them that made for some outstanding albums. I think the chance of that group working together is nonexistent and I think any of that chemistry is probably long gone.

monty

I don't think they would have been as big. His voice was perfect for the music they were doing IMO.

Axl in his prime made that band... Slash was a nice addition. Everything was right for that band to work like it did:dunno

27sauce

Axl in his prime made that band... Slash was a nice addition. Everything was right for that band to work like it did:dunno
Axl and Izzy made that band, and slash was a nice addition.

Axl is what set them apart from everyone else. Nobody else was as pissed off, as white trash, as dangerous. He was r&r's NWA in one person.

s2y

Axl and Izzy made that band, and slash was a nice addition.
I think Izzy and Axl were a solid backbone, but you can't have such wild success without the guitar supremacy of Slash. That would be like VH tunes without the acrobatics of EVH. They would have both done well, but the guitar made them the complete package.

Trending Topics