What if I don't find a CE-2? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teddy boy, Mar 22, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gentlemen,

I've been n the lookout for a Boss CE-2 for some time now. They seem to be harder and harder to come by. Do you have any ideas what could give a similar sound? Any of the Maxon stuff? HBE THC? I'm lost!

2. msp

msp Member

retrosonic ce-1 clone is my current favorite chorus

3. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

There's a bunch of ce-2's on ebay...

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have a CE-2,but I'm not giving it up for anything less than A TC....

5. RickB

RickB Member

I have a CE-2 that has been Keeleyized. I am toying with putting it in the Emporium.........

6. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Amen MSP... Thats my chorus answer from now on.

John doe: "Bulldog, what chorus do you recommend?"
    Bulldog: "Retro-Sonic Chorus Ensemble. Now, bugger off. :AOK "

7. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Cheers guys,

The Retrosonic sounds fantastic but not exactly like a CE-2. I want the CE-2 sound. Might have to go on ebay, although I really don't like using it...

8. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

How far is Finland from Denmark?:cool:

9. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Not far... 500 miles? Is this a clue? Don't really like the T.C. Electronics Chorus. Haven't heard the Carl Martin... Is this what you're aiming at?

10. msp

msp Member

i'm sorry but every time anyone sais the word chorus, or boss, or guitar, or anyword that begins with a letter: my reply lately has been "retrosonic chorus"

just preachin the gospel

11. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Im shocked! Mine sounds just like my old CE-2 on some settings. I always hated my CE-2 cause it was noisy when it was off. Same with the CE-1. This RS-CE was the answer to my prayers (and Im not even religious!)

Id ebay one. Ive seen them in the 50-80 dollar category.

12. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

I bought a Japan CE-2 from a pawnshop for fairly cheap and coudn't return it fast enough. I don't get what is so great about them....I found it to be really weak, cold and added too much noise.

13. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Thanks guys,

I don't think I'd use it live. Just in the studio and to fool about with at home. If I really need a chorus to use live I'll surely get the Retro-Sonic! That thing is incredible! Hey Bulldog!, (hah, beatles) can you get convincing CE-2 sounds from the Chorus Ensemble? I thought the clips sounded a little darker than the average CE-2.

Mind you, the Analogman Clone Chorus sounded pretty good on the AM website clips...

14. msp

msp Member

the analogman chorus may be what you are really looking for teddy boy

its definately in the same high quality class as the ce-1 clone but not a thick

if you go that road though....i highly recomend you save a little longer and go for the AM bi-chorus

that way you could have a vibe and chorus in one pedal (the vibe sounds in the AM chorus are good too.....but to my tastes i really love the ce-1 clone)

and i say these things in the name of retrosonic chorus

amen

15. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I personally think the sounds on the retro-sonic site are darker than the chorus itself. It's got a gorgeous sweep that gets nearly as bright as the analogman. I dont care for the super-shimmer sounds. I want the chorus for sounding like Im playing multiple guitars at once (which both the CE-1 and CE-2 did well). this being said, I tend to favor the "darker" end of the unit, but as the chorus knob moves up, the pedal gets a lot brighter. I don't know if it'd be perfect for you, but I think it does the CE-2 thing just as well as the CE-1, with more variation.. Plus you get the added benefit of a fab vibrato.

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I don't get it, there are CE-2s out there. They're pretty bulletproof and if you find one that's a bit noisy it should be fairly easy to sort out. They don't sound anything like a CE-1 nor the Analogman Clone, maybe a little like the Carl Martin but they're cheap enough I'd just bite the bullet and pick one up off Ebay. The other cool thing is that the very early DOD small box choruses (FX80?, blue) were direct clones of the CE2 and sound the same.

It's not a useful chorus for acoustic, vocals or keys-too chewy and you lose too much top end (get a TCF for that) but for guitar it's a very good sound.

17. meterman

meterman Member

I put my best CE-2 (metal screw, black label MIJ blah blah) up against my friends Retro-Sonic. The RS sounded sooooo much better it was startling. The RS was warm, lush, 3D, etc. and the CE-2 was muddy, ugly and very narrow bandwidth sounding in comparison.

18. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hi msp,

Yepm that could be the way to go. Really expensive though! May have to save up a while or try to get rid of some existing stuff. Our keyboardist has been thinking of getting the Retro-Sonic anyway. No use in getting the same gear. On the Bi-Chorus, you can't actually use two choruses simultaneously can you? Just two settings that can be toggled, right?

19. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Oh no! Too many answers! In the post above I was referring to the Analogman Chorus. Jeesh, What am I to do? Perhaps get an old CE-2 just for the sake of it and then get the Retro-Sonic or the AM...

20. msp

msp Member

yes the AM bi-chorus only toggles between two settings (similar to the ce-1 and the retrosonic clone as well)

unless your ce-2 is broken (sorry i wasn't paying attention) you should save up for the AM (there is probably a waiting list so it would give you some time to budget your dollars or collect beer cans and bottle tops)

then you could use your ce-2 as a backup

there are other options for chorus as well or if you don't mind you could just do the AM chorus instead of the bi-chorus

but i think the AM bi-chorus or retrosonic ce-1 are really the two best analog stompers around (i'd bet cha a dollar most people around here would probably agree

i have ab'd the two and the AM is definately more subtle but in certain situations the high end frequencies were a little too pronounced for me