• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What if the Beatles had been like the Stones

anominous

and never stopped touring, and never broke up?

would that have been awesome? or awful?

we've all probably been to a Stones show, so likewise we'd all likely have seen the Beatles

is it better that we never saw the Beatles in the context of the 70s/80s/90s/00s/10s?

DewieCox

Silver Supporting Member
Would've been cool if they made it at least long enough to bring some of their later material to a live audience, with the full orchestration.

maybe_ebyam

is it better that we never saw the Beatles in the context of the 70s/80s/90s/00s/10s?
I've always equated early death of band members or early break ups of bands as a very large part of why they were/ are considered to be so great. I look to someone like Clapton as an example. Had he died early on, no one would be seeing all of the 'mistakes' he's made in his later years; From cargo shorts, to copping the same licks over and over again.

I think everyone would still think Clapton is God if he'd died (or stopped making music) early on.

John Thigpen

Silver Supporting Member
I've always equated early death of band members or early break ups of bands as a very large part of why they were/ are considered to be so great. I look to someone like Clapton as an example. Had he died early on, no one would be seeing all of the 'mistakes' he's made in his later years; From cargo shorts, to copping the same licks over and over again.

I think everyone would still think Clapton is God if he'd died (or stopped making music) early on.
Rookie mistake on his part.

MSLBend

I

I think you're talking about a tiny fraction of the broader rock audience out there. Maybe "some" (certainly not everyone) of the hard core guitar playing critic crowd think Clapton has gone downhill since his early days, but i guarantee you that the much bigger audience, the ones that buy the tickets to his shows do not agree with you here.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
I think if you look at all four Beatles' individual output, they would have still kicked ass together for another decade at least.

EDIT: And not necessarily with backup tracks. With backup singers, keys, and a small orchestra, yes (like on the Beatles special I watched last night or the Concert for George, for example).

Fuzzdog

I heard every time a musician joins the 27-club, their lost years just get added onto Keith's life.
I have no idea who you are, but you are now my favourite TGP poster. Bravo, sir. Bravo.

(Edit - hold on, you're from Hampshire, England, and have a name containing the word 'Fuzz' - you might actually be me. In which case, I pat myself on the back for both the quality of the pun, and being able to hide an entire existence from myself.)

MrX

I was 9-years old when they broke up, so it would have been awesome in the sense that I would have seen them.

karmadave

Gold Supporting Member
The Beatles has run their course and it was a good time for them to hang it up. Zeppelin too. I really don't undertand why people want to see bands stay together even when they are way past their prime. YMMV...

2HBStrat

I think if you look at all four Beatles' individual output, they would have still kicked ass together for another decade at least.

EDIT: And not necessarily with backup tracks. With backup singers, keys, and a small orchestra, yes (like on the Beatles special I watched last night or the Concert for George, for example).
I agree. If John and George hadn't died The Beatles could have toured using backing musicians the way Steely Dan and The Eagles do now when they tour. And think of how good The Beatles albums would have been, and how different the songs would have been, using only the best songs from each member's solo albums.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom