What if the lights went out?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by dmcrisp, Feb 29, 2012.

1. dmcrisp

dmcrisp Active Member

This goes out to the technologically reliant musicians out there. I'm talking about your rappers, singers, people that "sample"( otherwise known as copy and paste music- you know who you are Kanye), and any other artist or band that uses computer software to fix their sound.

I think it would be amazing if scientists could manufacture a EMP that somehow only effected computers for the next five years. It would single handedly dismantle the music industry, being that people would have to do that whole learning how to actually sing, harmonize, and understand theory in a live setting again thing.

Thoughts.....

2. inanevoyage

inanevoyage Member

That would singlehandedly dismantle a lot more than just the music industry.

But for the sake of the thought experiment, I don't see it making a huge difference. A computer is just another tool used for self expression. I suppose some could consider it an instrument unto itself.

3. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

It would also largely dismantle music distribution at this point.

4. dmcrisp

dmcrisp Active Member

it's a theoretical question. obviously other facets of life would be affected. but i was alluding to musical software only being affected. It would make a huge difference in music in the big picture. Self expression and covering up the fact that most bands or artists today can't reproduce what was on their lp in a live situation. Music education is a serious problem in today's age of the taylor swift and the jonus brothers megamarkets.

5. Burst59

Burst59 Member

I would rape and pillage my neighborhood immediately.

6. dmcrisp

dmcrisp Active Member

Which would, go figure, force you to see whoever it is live.

Case in point- Stevie Wonder sounded exactly the same live if not better than he did on his albums in the 70's. I cannot say the same about today's "musicians"........I.E. Taylor Swift, and any other headliner I can think of

7. Two-Octave

Two-Octave Member

But y'see there dmcrispytoastdoodmanbrutha...you couldn't post on the internet yo'. And be all kewl. De-feetin' yer own porpoise fer postin'.

8. dmcrisp

dmcrisp Active Member

Obviously you chose to ignore the fact that this theoretical, and I'm only speaking for the musical facet. This is actually a serious post as we have children today(general public) that will only get the benefit of seeing entertainers and not musicians anymore.

9. Two-Octave

Two-Octave Member

10. Cream

Cream Member

As an acoustic player, I wish scientists could engineer an EMP that only targeted guitar amplifiers so that you musically-challenged riff-rockers and P&W delay worshipers (you know who you are, dmcrisp) would actually have to develop chops on an acoustic and learn how to impress crowds by playing melody, chords and bassline at the same time as singing instead of relying on phony effects. Now get off my lawn!

11. Two-Octave

Two-Octave Member

Dude. You get it. (IMHO as always)

A lawnmowing EMP.

12. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

What if the EMP destroyed lawn mowers, we'd have no lawns :messedup

13. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Oh hey, another thread by a guy who neither has any idea what sampling actually is nor any experience with it. Technology is just another tool musicians can use, great things can and have been done with drum machines, sampling, digital correction, and what have you.

And kids can still see "real" bands making "real" music. Whatever the definition of that is around here these days.

14. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

And speaking of Kanye, this strikes me as pretty creative "cutting and pasting". I'm not even that big of a fan of Jay-Z (though I think the guy's pretty talented as an emcee) but this is a pretty damn good song.

And this is cool as hell too.

15. KaLL

KaLL Member

No samples in this.

People who hate on technology driven music need to stop being so bitter and realise that it can actually be good, if you put aside your bias.

16. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

EMP? the whole world would have to go unplugged for the duration as there would be no power period.

So we would go back to when we just had live music played on acoustic instruments only.

No mtv, no TV, no CD's no nothing, a bit like Iran... but with music lol

17. dmcrisp

dmcrisp Active Member

Nice try but I have a degree in jazz performance. I also play bluegrass, i doubt you can hang with tony rice there mr. twin amp. Actually 90% of my sets are acoustic. And btw, I would love if everybody had to play acoustic again. No effects to hide behind. If you can tell me the difference between first and second species writing mr. twin amp, then I will respect your opinion.

18. nondeplume

nondeplume Puppet For Prophet Gold Supporting Member

'Live' was just a 'delivery' model from artist to listener that available technology was capable of 'availing' at the time....it's as old as the hills, and might be considered 'outdated'...by some.

It is certainly NOT some idiom of proof of validity, unless only compared to other 'live' music FORMATS. For some, the Beatles didn't become The Beatles untill they stopped playing/worrying about how their music translated 'live' and focused on using available technology to express it without the limiting thought of 'live' constraints.....and constraints there are many, it can paint sound into a 'box'....it has too, by 'design'.

It doesn't matter 'how' sound parsed into rhythmic structures (or not) reach a listners ears, just that, what tools the creater uses help them bridge, as seemlessly and without 'distortrion of sonic intent' as possible....what's going on in their heart/head.....to be heard.

Wheter it be 'live' or on the CD player in the car or on the internet....somehow.

A computer with software and/or sampler ARE instruments....especially if you are using Ableton 'Live' (see vid below)......lol.

If the electricy went out.....sonic artist with a 'song' to get out, will use whatever available technology is out there, whether an acoustic (there is more than one way to play it) a bow, a skin pulled across a rock.....to 'get it out'.....I'm betting Kanye and/or Taylor would be no different.

And would have absolutly no more sanctimonious validty for having done so anymore than using a 'computer with software'.

Be glad you can hear, stop distracting yourself with such acidic judgement, get off your high horse.....can't copy/paste? lol, what you can't 'cut it' in the modern world.....too bad....the piano was hated once too.....and the strat.....forget about it....it's still circumspect.....as a matter of fact, some probably view it as a 'gateway' drug to the computer of talentless hacks....

tsk f'n tsk....

19. dmcrisp

dmcrisp Active Member

I have done sessions for hip- hop production companies. So yeah, I would kinda know what the hell I'm talking about. I can play an instrument and I understand theory, which means I have a universal language to use around the world. Kanye and jay z can't do a thing without computers, and people who don't speak english around the world don't understand about bling bling in their pockets with fancy beats overtop of it.

20. dmcrisp

dmcrisp Active Member

This is turning out to be a pretty successful social experiment. So far my colleague is spot on with his hypothesis.