What interface to buy?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by aculturemind, Jan 22, 2015.

1. aculturemind

aculturemind Member

Prelude: this is a more or less solved topic.

That is, if I'm on a budget of a hundred dollars or less, which would be better: M-Audio Mobilepre mark II, Pre-Sonus Audiobox 2x2, or Saffire 6? Mainly I'm concerned with direct-guitar recording, into softare modelers.

Or, should I definitely go for a USB 2.0 device?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Always go with an internal PCI, PCIex if you can over USB 2.0. Your latency will always be better. Thats been my experience at least. Though I'll admit I'm getting great low latency using Firewire right now with my Phonic IS16 but that's a 1500 dollar box.

3. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

Latency shouldn't be much of an issue with most systems these days. That is, if you understand how to set that up in your DAW. I know places in Nashville doing major label records with firewire interfaces.

USB is absolutely fine for your application. Just be sure to understand how buffer size works within your system and you should end up being able to play your software modelers with minimal latency.

4. aculturemind

aculturemind Member

@MZ: yeah, those are bucks. I'd just buy an Axe-Fx and have both covered.

@Veritas: I'm finally getting some decent tones through fiddling with the input and channel levels of my Alesis mixer, coupled with Revalver 4's input level, but there's still this shhhhh going on, because it's not really a Hi-Z input. I just need to know which of the above units will give me good enough signal?...and if one the lesser ones, will USB 1.1 be enough for dual-track recording?

5. mattball826

mattball826 Member

if your pc and interface supports usb 3.0, it can as good as firewire performance. usb2.0 expect less.

6. aculturemind

aculturemind Member

So, no one answered my question.......

7. Lain

Lain Member

They don't differ much in terms of converter quality in that price category.

I would get the Focusrite Saffire, personally.

8. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

The Presonus stuff is solid. So is the Focusrite. To be honest, I don't know that there's much of a difference in this price range. The software that comes with the unit might be more of a differentiator for you. See which software you like best and go for it.

9. aculturemind

aculturemind Member

Thank you, Lain and treeofpain. From my research and all, I was thinking pretty much what you said, but I wanted a definitive answer. I'm buying on ebay, possibly used, and software isn't a factor.

10. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

11. aculturemind

aculturemind Member

Thanks. With my Alesis MultiMix USB 2.0, I can easily do play-through recording with another track, but more than that I don't know, and the interfaces I mentioned are only 1.1, so that was my basic concern.

In my limited experience with the MultiMix, the lowest latency available is 49ms, which seems just fine, but even 128 seems okay, too.

12. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

We've been using the Apogee Jam for the last year.
    (Going into Logic)
    It works great.
    $99.00

13. aculturemind

aculturemind Member

Looks good....but I don't do Apple. At least yet. I should've mentioned my current rig is a PC.

14. mattball826

mattball826 Member

what is your intent?

what is your pc spec? which win version?

usb2.0 is fine for a lot of things. usb3.0 is better for handling larger track counts. not too many units with usb3.0 atm. rme and a couple others coming soon.

you can buy a firewire pci card and then look at some used firewire units for about the same price.

behringer has a decent usb fca610 unit comes loaded with software daw and plugins. pre's are very good midas type circuits. it's a tad more than the scarlet but you get a lot more as well. its firewire and usb equipped.

15. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

USB 2.0 is more than you need for what you want to do. Forget all that stuff about PCI or whatever. It's going away, and isn't even close to necessary for your application. Any of the major brands make a decent box. M-Audio, Presonus, Focusrite.... the Roland interfaces are pretty stellar but I don't hear much about them here. If you want to go up market there's Apogee and RME.

You do not need firewire or PCI though. USB 2.0 is fine. 3.0 is great too but you don;t even need that.

16. soulohio

soulohio Member

I have PreSonus AudioBox USB 2 interface... and I am really surprised at how good it sounds and the lack of perceptible latency.. a PreSonus into GarageBand is my guitar amplifier right now as well as my music stereo speaker interface for iTunes.. I recommend this. The PreSonus cost me 79 dollars at AMS..

17. aculturemind

aculturemind Member

Thanks matt, fisticuffs, and soulohio. I've purchased an Axe-Fx, which as I understand it works fine as a DI interface, so I'll be comparing software with it. However, if this changes, I'll look into those you all mentioned. Thanks.