What is a band/artist you used to hate, but then did a 180 on?

reyleon

For myself, it used to be John Mayer. I couldn't stand his poppy stuff overplayed on radio. Then I saw him on Austin City Limits shredding whilst Double Trouble backed him up. It was incredible.

Rufus

Gold Supporting Member
Back in the day, I disliked a lot of 80s pop/new wave out of principle (I was into metal and what rap there was), but I have since changed my mind about a lot of it.

John 14:6

For myself, it used to be John Mayer. I couldn't stand his poppy stuff overplayed on radio. Then I saw him on Austin City Limits shredding whilst Double Trouble backed him up. It was incredible.
I could not stand John Mayer and thought he was the poster child for everything wrong in music until I listened begrudgingly to his live John Mayer Trio record "Try." It is now one of my favorite live records ever and I put it right up there with Frampton Comes Alive. John Mayer has since become one of my favorite artists. The guy has a lot of talent.

Last edited:

Dave2512

I'm stumped, after thinking about it I can only think of bands/artists I don't like anymore. Most if not all my recent interests are exploration of music I didn't have much experience with. Bar-Kays, BOC, UFO and Wilson Pickett. But I tend to go all in with music and might spend a couple years dissecting one or two bands. Everything else is just background noise I feel indifferent about and won't ever find a reason to like or not like it.

Lance

Brad Paisley. Before he released, "Play," I was just not into him or pretty much ANY Country artists. Once I really got into that one I went back and now own everything he's ever put out. For whatever reason, I still don't seem to like any other modern country artists.

rwmct

I thought Dylan was "OK" when I was a kid but my appreciation for him has grown as I have got older.

I always liked a lot of artists covers of his tunes, but his versions took some time for me to "get."

karmadave

Gold Supporting Member
In high school, I really couldn't stand Hall & Oates, but did 180 on them after watching 'Darryl's House'. I was also never a big fan of Prince, but grew to appreciate him lately. Finally, I could never really connect with the Grateful Dead growing up, but after seeing 'The Other Ones' NYE 2002/2003 my mind was totally and completely blown and have been a huge fan ever since :)

lendryesky

I've had many more bands I did a 180 on that I liked first. With the exception to some music when I was in elementary school there weren't many bands I hated that I did a 180 on.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I can't think of anyone that I loved and that now I hate, but there are plenty of great bands that I loved that I just don't need to hear any more. If I stumble across a Stones track somewhere, I'll listen, but I'm not going to put on "Sticky Fingers" again for a long time.

Plenty of bands, even genres that I used to actively avoid that I now really like.

Average Joe

Bowie. As a teen i sought authenticity in music, and so i didnt connect w Bowie at all. It's only in my middle age that the theatre of it all made sense to me. He's probably my favourite artist by now.

Otoh i was too serious a young man to appreciate Van Halen. I wanted (percieved) depth to my music. Now i enjoy the goofy good time lightheartedness of VH

swiveltung

I've gone both ways.
ZZ Top I loved on Tres Hombres....simple, tasty and honest... as time went by I learned to not like them more and more. When I saw them live and they were playing fuzzy fur guitars... that was it.
Bonamassa- like many I rolled my eyes early on. Now he's one good player, Keepin the Blues the Blues...even if I don't buy his stuff I enjoy hearing it.
Dead- Didn't like them then, don't like them later on. Well... there are a couple songs I guess...
Dylan was king as writer/acoustic/solo- until he started doing band stuff. If he'd done that in the beginning he wouldn't have went any further than most of us.
AC/DC- never liked them and grew to appreciate it later on.
There's many more I suppose...

Tomm Williams

Oh... I need to add Janis Joplin. The first time I really listened to her was in a "Music Appreciation" course. As soon as the instructor turned up the volume I thought "God this woman sucks!!!"
Now I get it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom