• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What is a CHEAP compatible MIDI cable to update my TimeLine?

teleclem

How can we know if it's compatible (apart from buying and trying)? I know Strymon recommends a particular unit, but it's a bit pricey for me for just updates.

I've read that some people have had issues with cheaper alternatives. With shipping costs/wait time, I don't want to run into that.

your name here

Gold Supporting Member
I just bought this MIDI-USB cable from ebay. Does this cable work for updating the Timeline?
That's the exact cable I just used. Worked perfect with my MacBook. I had to slow down the transfer speed, though- it wouldn't work at 100%. I used 53%, as I read in an earlier thread that it had worked for someone else. However, I'll bet any number around 50% would do the trick. Also, I was using the recommended SysEx librarian software. The update took about two minutes.

Good luck!

:beer

dapeegoo

Silver Supporting Member
That's the exact cable I just used. Worked perfect with my MacBook. I had to slow down the transfer speed, though- it wouldn't work at 100%. I used 53%, as I read in an earlier thread that it had worked for someone else. However, I'll bet any number around 50% would do the trick. Also, I was using the recommended SysEx librarian software. The update took about two minutes.

Good luck!

:beer
Thanks! You're the man!

tibbon

Really any USB to MIDI cable should do the trick. It isn't like MIDI is a data-intensive or difficult process by today's standards (31500 baud serial line). The USB to MIDI cable is basically just a USB to serial cable really. Just get whatever is cheap and works with your computer (I haven't found a USB/midi device that won't work on my Mac).

Trending Topics