1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

What is a CHEAP compatible MIDI cable to update my TimeLine?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dapeegoo, Feb 2, 2012.

1. dapeegoo

dapeegoo Member

What is a CHEAP compatible MIDI cable to update my TimeLine?

2. teleclem

teleclem Member

How can we know if it's compatible (apart from buying and trying)? I know Strymon recommends a particular unit, but it's a bit pricey for me for just updates.

I've read that some people have had issues with cheaper alternatives. With shipping costs/wait time, I don't want to run into that.

3. dapeegoo

dapeegoo Member

I just bought this MIDI-USB cable from ebay. Does this cable work for updating the Timeline?

4. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

That's the exact cable I just used. Worked perfect with my MacBook. I had to slow down the transfer speed, though- it wouldn't work at 100%. I used 53%, as I read in an earlier thread that it had worked for someone else. However, I'll bet any number around 50% would do the trick. Also, I was using the recommended SysEx librarian software. The update took about two minutes.

Good luck!

:beer

5. dapeegoo

dapeegoo Member

Thanks! You're the man!

6. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

7. tibbon

tibbon Member

Really any USB to MIDI cable should do the trick. It isn't like MIDI is a data-intensive or difficult process by today's standards (31500 baud serial line). The USB to MIDI cable is basically just a USB to serial cable really. Just get whatever is cheap and works with your computer (I haven't found a USB/midi device that won't work on my Mac).

8. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

I borrowed a friends...... Worked a charm, and free!