What is a considerate dB level for playing in an apartment?

LaXu

I would recommend as a first remedy trying to put your cab on a stand to reduce coupling with the floor.

Sometimes it's about bass traveling but sometimes it's simply "I don't like that someone plays a musical instrument". If you were blaring the TV at the same volume it would be fine.

Muzbomb

Could you move the amp downstairs? Is the amp positioned close to the adjoining wall - you could try a different position in the room. It's worth a conversation with your neighbour about how it sounds next door. Perhaps an iso-pad under the cab would reduce low frequency transmission through the floors.

MBT74

I went through something similar, and it's going to be impossible to give you an answer without knowing anything about the construction of your place.

In my case, I asked my neighbor to download the dB app and do an experiment with me. I anchored right out of the gate by using the app to measure the two of us speaking. Avg. 61 dB. We then went back to our apartments and I asked her to text me three times: when I first became audible, when individual notes were too loud and when it was bothersome in her opinion.

Bottom line: I can play around 85 dB with no issues, and peak around 95 before it bothers her. Your place will probably be different, but maybe the approach will help. They biggest hurdle is getting someone over the idea that they are entitled to complete silence when they live in close proximity to others. Luckily, NYC has very clear guidelines about that.

Always start these experiments by asking if it’s too loud before you actually start playing anything. That way you can know if the neighbour is just going to complain about it being too loud regardless of the actual volume. If they answer saying that they can’t hear anything then at least you know the rest of the experiment is going to be honest. :)

ctreitzell

what is everyone measuring dB with?

85dB measured with SPLnFFT app I find to be right near threshold of pain; 90dB is over threshold of pain for me.

I remember measuring dB in the mid 90s with a Realistic brand sound meter and 93dB music in the car was where we liked it. I'm guessing the ipad app is not telling the truth. I'm using the internal mic uncalibrated. Also, my ipads have always been in Griffin Survivor cases when measuring...maybe that's affecting the result...

I suppose I record into my DAW to get an accurate reading...

I used to live in apartments...terraced houses...Sound Transmission Coefficient between levels (up and down) was always lower than through walls (sideways/ horizontal)...meaning sound transmission traveling thru ceilings/floors is almost always louder than thru walls. Also, glass is an excellent sound insulator; it's the reflections that are the problem with glass.

LaXu

what is everyone measuring dB with?

85dB measured with SPLnFFT app I find to be right near threshold of pain; 90dB is over threshold of pain for me.
You either have very sensitive ears, measure very close to the sound source or the app/phone is off by a good margin.

Compared to my actual dB meter (just a cheap one) my iPhone XS with SPLnFFT was off by about 2 dB, probably more when talking about very loud volumes.

Measured at 1m distance 90 dB is not painful at all to me.

AintNoEddie

As others have said already, the bass is typically the problem. I jam in our house in the basement, and using a small active monitor I can play really loud even when kids and wife are sleeping (upper floor). As soon as I play through a proper cab (1x12 or 2x12...), even low volume, it becomes a problem. Initially I would not believe but I had my looper playback some riffs and I checked it... and yup ... it's annoying :)

Doug59

Gold Supporting Member
I’d say closer to 70-75dB in an apartment is fair. It should be maximum barely audible in a neighbouring flat, in my opinion.
I came to say this. I live in a townhouse and can play in the high 60's dB range all day and night without bothering anyone. I'll push it to mid 70's dB during the day without a problem. The 60's dB range is TV loud noise. You hit the mid 80's dB - this is too loud.

Chief Distortion Officer
Silver Supporting Member
Measured at 1m distance 90 dB is not painful at all to me.

Same.

I’d say closer to 70-75dB in an apartment is fair. It should be maximum barely audible in a neighbouring flat, in my opinion.

That’s way too low. Might as well skip a traditional amp and use a modeler like a Yamaha THR unit. It’s have a much smaller speaker that sounds like a guitar that’s been compressed in the mix. It’ll sound like it’s coming out of your TV.

Serious Poo