What is a good blues amp for around $1000?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by beckstriad, Nov 14, 2005.

1. beckstriad

beckstriad I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife Silver Supporting Member

I need an amp that will do excellent cleans and blues breakup. It should also take stompboxes well. Looking for that Ford (know he plays Dumble), SRV, Trucks sort of tone. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Fender Super Reverb RI

3. cameron

cameron Member

A used silverface Fender. Pick by size and weight, and whether you need reverb. Have a good amp tech give it a once over, maybe swap in the speakers of your choice. And you should have enough left from your $1000 budget for a couple of cool stomp boxes.

! for $, it's very hard to beat an old Fender.

(I'd steer clear of the Fender reissues. The 70s Fenders will still be playing rock and roll in another 30 years. New ones will be landfill by then.)

4. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    every now & then you'll see a Fuchs mod available for <$1000. e.g., i've got a late '70's Fuchs-mod Bassman head i'll be making available.

:cool:

5. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I just got a '64 Blackface Fender deluxe non-reverb off ebay for $1000.

They made them in this version from about '64-'67. They don't have quite as much gain as a reverb model, but a tube screamer or clean boost can make up the difference no problem. The reverb models are out of your requested price range, but the non-reverb ones are still there if you look around. I'd rather have a blackface non-reverb than a silver reverb, but that's just me. I find most silverface ones to be a bit too bright and also more scooped in the mids which hurts the thickness of the lead tone. The blackface ones sound thicker, almost like you are tuned down a half step. Actually most folks don't know that on "non-reverb" Fenders the normal channel is the hotter of the two, as opposed to the opposite on the reverb fenders. I've owned 7 Fender deluxes (3 w/o reverb) and they all sounded great, and I've made money on all of the ones I didn't keep over the years.

Currently I have two '64 non-reverb Deluxes. A great amp with pedals, and a good workable volume. Actually these days bands play so much quieter that I've been told I'm too loud with my 20 watt Deluxes or 18 watt Marshall 1974x!

Anyway, just though I'd throw a vintage option into the mix.

6. doctord02

doctord02 Member

+1 on the non reverb Fender Deluxe as suggested by Glen.

I have a '65 that was tweeked by Dave Allen. Trem channel is stock, but the normal channel has been changed to Brown era voicing and tonestack. It's currently loaded with a Red Fang.

Sub $1K.

7. beckstriad

Thanks for all the responses! Keep 'em coming!

8. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

SF deluxe reverb... without the 'pull for boost' circuit.

If it doesn't have quite enough clean headroom, replace the stock speaker with a more efficient one (Weber Michigan, California, or JBL) and perhaps rebias for 6L6s... will be more portable than a super or pro, and will give you that classic Fender thang...

9. lanesmat

lanesmat Member

Trucks and SRV are (or were) Super Reverb guys, so I certainly would start there. Personally, a DR seems to have more of a smooth rock voice than a blues voice, but it depends on what your blues "tone" is. You really need to play through various Fender versions and see if can cop that vibe your looking for.

Check out this Robbie Laws tone, using a 64' SR and a Strat at http://www.sdpickups.com/audio/robmix.mp3. I love this guy's blues tone (even with the crummy live mix) with a SR. A SR is my personal favorite for blues.

Regards.
    Scott L.

10. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Check out Winfield Thomas. I have one of his high power Elizabeth amps ( blackface Super design ) and it is a fabulous amp for blues. Very soulful amp. Excellent clean and on the edge overdrive tones. Sounds killer with low gain overdrive pedals. Lots of great tones in this amp.

11. Roe

Roe Member

alessandro rottweiler perhaps

12. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I've restored/rebuilt two silver face Fenders in the past ten years and ended up with great sounding amps both times.

See if you can find a non-master volume Pro-Reverb. They're 40 watts pushing 2--12s and plenty loud for most gigs.

If you're going to be playing strictly in the living room, then get a Deluxe Reverb or a Princeton.

There are plenty of small amps that sound huge.

The Fender Pro Junior is a prime example of this. Pretty damn loud too.

13. beckstriad

Will a Super Reverb do a good jazz and country tone, too? Also, I will be playing out a few times a year, so will an attenuator do the job for me when I play at home?

14. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

A Super is great for all of those things. Some Jazzers and country pickers prefer Twin Reverbs for the extra headroom, but Super has plenty of clean headroom and if need be you can swap out a pre amp tube (for a lower gain tube) or have the power tubes re-biased. The speakers you're using will make a big difference too.

You can still find a late Sixties Super Reverb for under a grand with out looking too hard. Sure, you can get a used reissue for about the same price but the old ones are better and they hold their value.

Bear in mind, a Super Reverb is a lot of amp--i.e. they're very loud and heavy.

The Twin, Super, Pro, Band Master, Deluxe, Vibroluxe, Vibroverb and Showman all have the same pre-amp circuit in them. So you just need to figure out what your power requirements are and which speaker configuration you want. (Sorry if this reads like ad copy--I don't work for Fender Musical Instruments, honest :D )

That doesn't mean they all sound the same, but they should all sound similar in proper working condition.

What you need to do is take your guitar, cables and fave stomp box--leave the check book and credit cards at home--spend a few Saturday afternoons trying everything you can get your hands on and buy the amp that speaks to you.

15. cameron

cameron Member

If you swap the stock speakers for something more efficient, yes, a Super (or Pro) will be fine for jazz or country. Unless of course you plan to be playing at Shea Stadium regularly.

16. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Good tone is where YOU find it. Try everything and close your eyes, you may be surprised. (use good speakers)

17. ptecat

ptecat Member

Buy my Alessandro Rottwieller 1X12 :dude

18. kram21

kram21 Member

Fender concert or super reverb RI or a KJL dirty thirty head are all excellent amps with great clean tones and take od-distortion pedals well.

19. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

Buy an early 70s (or late 60s) silverface reverb, tune it up and S-M-I-L-E. The amp is way under valued.

20. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

A used MAZ 38 Studio Lead 1x12 can be had at that price. Buddy Whittington carved out a big name for himself with that amp.