What is a good head for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Aldinyo, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Aldinyo

Aldinyo Member

I'm currently in the process of buying a "big boy" setup, after my first few years of playing were out of a little Mesa subway rocket combo or something, I forget because it got stolen, and the last couple of years playing out of a Line 6 Flextone II (god, kill me now)...The Line 6 is what it is, and sounds fine at low volume, but I can't even come close to getting it to sound like what it's programmed to sound like (i.e. Soldano SLO 100, Mesa Mark II, yeah right!), and the tone of the people I'm playing with is far superior to mine, which is something I'd like to do something about, haha...

I've got my heart set on a good 2X12 Alnico Tone Tubbys cab ($900 loaded), but I really don't know what head I should be trying to find. I play blues/rock/jazz, or jam band if you want to keep it simple. I am more of a rhythm player, but would like something that would give me good leads, too. Anyway, I'm just looking for now, not making any big decisions until I can scrape together the $$$, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

2. Franklin

Franklin Member

Wow, how cool is that!?!?

3. drjojo42

drjojo42 Member

well theres basicly two camps in general,channel switchers or single channel and pedals .I use to be in the channel switching camp.Now with the amazing pedals available and my purchase of my dz maz sr, im firmly in the single channel camp.I get excited just hearing of somone getting a new amp.theres just so much great gear available,happy hunting

4. ungarn

ungarn Member

For $900-$1500 find yourself a nice, used, Rivera combo...plenty loud, capable of rock/blues/jazz, very reliable, can cover fendery and marshally tones with the two channels, and a boost function for leads.

5. dets1

dets1 Member

i have a rivera chubster that i use on smaller gigs, and it's great. nice cleans, three different overdrives, and it's compact. somewhere around 40 lbs.

6. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I recently found an amazing amp built by a forum member here that's right in your price range. Its a Straub Cantus. Do a search and check it out. BEST Jam Band amp on the Planet if you ask me and I've owned them all at some point. :dude

7. fenderpro

fenderpro Member

my 2 cents...get a silverface bassman head and a 2 12" cab with eminence red white and blues. you'll get a monster clean sound which will be a great foundation for whatever pedals you want to use. or sound great with just a guitar.

8. Belmont

Belmont Member

I'm with you,start with a great clean sound,like David Gilmour for instance and go from there,and you're in for $500.00 or so,can't beat that.oh yeah,don't forget the Traynor Bassmaster,killer.

9. meterman

meterman Member

Which amp models in the Flextone do you find yourself using and/or liking most? That will help narrow it down some. So many choices out there with so many variables, the more you can figure out what you want before laying out the cash the better.

I play alot of blues/rock/jam/etc and started out with BF/SF Fenders and pedals and got some good tones, great cleans actually but not exactly what I was looking for in terms of overdriven tones. I eventually ended up with a more "British" style amp(TopHats in my case), which blend elements of Vox/Marshall/tweed Fender and have more midrange content and are smoother breaking into overdrive.

If you're gigging out and need a decent amount of clean headroom I'd say you want 30-50w. Lots of options for heads in that range...

Have fun! And try to buy used, you'll take a much smaller hit if you find it's not working for you...

10. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Try a Mesa Lone Star Classic (I also suggest picking one up used)

Two channels, solo boost, reverb adjustable per channel, tons of headroom, complete tone stack for each channel, additional drive control for more gain, 50 or 100 watts (newer models are 10/50/100), great reputation, reliability, and pedigree, tube flexilbility (6L6's or EL-34's and, I think, 6V6's), great reverb, and works great with ALL kinds of guitars.

A used head should run in the $850 to $1000 range and I think its a great amp for that dough and I think it would sound GREAT with those speakers/ cab.

11. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

:AOK

Check eBay, Craigslist for K-55/K-100 Knucklehead, M-60, Rake Head...usually many Riveras available...under a grand.

The interesting thing about the Riveras...owners usually regret selling them becuase they never really got to know them and the build quality is second to none.....built like a tank.