What is a good pickup height for a hotrail in a strat?

hitchorange

Hey, installed a hotrail bridge pickup in my strat this afternoon. The routing is quite shallow, the lowest i can set the pickup height is 1.9mm on the low e and 2mm on the high e with the string pressed at the last fret.
Am i missing out on something, is there too much magnetic pull,when the hotrail is this,close. It sounds good but i want to hear your opinion.

Fishyfishfish

With out doing a metric to standard conversion, I usually set the back
pickup 1/16th treble side, and 1/8 bass side while string is pressed on last fret
(Be it 21, 22, or 24 frets) and go up or down from there. It also depends if you are a hard player of not (lower).

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
2mm with the last fret pressed down is plenty of room. you might even like it a little closer!

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
The Hot Rails is such a beast of a pickup that I'd probably route to get it to a 1/4".

walterw

The Hot Rails is such a beast of a pickup that I'd probably route to get it to a 1/4".
if you want it to "balance" with neck and middle single coils sure, but then why put a hot rails in there to begin with?

it has less pull than a regular strat pickup, so it can go closer, especially in the bridge, without pull issues.

hitchorange

Haha Walter is here, you've helped me before. It does not need tot balance with the other pups. I knew that it would be much louder. So i guess it is good as it is, only thing left to do is play it! Thanks everyone.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
if you want it to "balance" with neck and middle single coils sure, but then why put a hot rails in there to begin with?
Ha! One of my customers wanted to replace the Dimarzio X2N in his Strat that he uses for jazz because it was "too wimpy". :huh

walterw

One of my customers wanted to replace the Dimarzio X2N in his Strat that he uses for jazz because it was "too wimpy". :huh
good lawd!

i'd suspect he had a bad cable or a busted amp he was trying to overcome with that voltage-generating monster.

(sure, i use an X2N, on my bench as a magnetic tool-holder! damn thing will just about hold a ball-peen hammer out sideways.)

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
good lawd!

i'd suspect he had a bad cable or a busted amp he was trying to overcome with that voltage-generating monster.
No, the pickup worked fine. He just has different ideas than other people. He never realized that he already had one of the highest output pickups on the planet. Wanna see and hear it? N-Joy!
http://www.amazon.com/Room-Full-Hat...TF8&qid=1414150715&sr=1-1&keywords=Sneed+Leed

"Straight Funk" is my favorite. It's too bad you don't hear the lead break on the sample. It is unlike anything you've heard before.