• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What is a good tuner?

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
29,207
I don't think there's anything left in the competition but the Strobostomp. Save a few more months and just buy one. You'll thank me...
 

Unburst

Member
Messages
4,215
Anything with Peterson written on it.

The TU-2 is a major tone sucker and not very accurate.
 

boog204

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
987
i've used a korg dt7 for the last 4 years after being a boss user before that... the korg blows away the boss. it's a solid tuner, accurate, and buzz feiten equipped for my baker. probably not on the same level as the peterson but a cheap alternative.
 

jeffhef

Member
Messages
1,011
I like the TU-2. It does suck tone but I run it off the tuner jack on my volume pedal or the 2nd loop on my Valvulator (Depends on how my board is config'ed this week). No tone suckage that way.

I'd like to see a new model with the LED's blue instead of red. Red goes away under stage lights sometimes. But I haven't had that problem with the TU-2 so what am I complaining about?

Anyway...yeah there are better tuners out there. But for live use I like the TU-2 just fine.

jeffhef
 

vbjamin

Member
Messages
1,116
Originally posted by jeffhef
I like the TU-2. It does suck tone but I run it off the tuner jack on my volume pedal or the 2nd loop on my Valvulator (Depends on how my board is config'ed this week). No tone suckage that way.

I'd like to see a new model with the LED's blue instead of red. Red goes away under stage lights sometimes. But I haven't had that problem with the TU-2 so what am I complaining about?

Anyway...yeah there are better tuners out there. But for live use I like the TU-2 just fine.

jeffhef
Good idea,
Would the Tu-2 work off of the stereo out of a chorus or delay pedal? Do you have to have a plug in both sides?
 

Slick51

Colonel Curmudgeon
Silver Supporting Member
Messages
522
You don't have to plug in both sides; input only works fine. I use both the TU-2 and Strobostomp in different pedalboards with only an input, and leave them on all the time.

Both can be used as a power distribution box with a daisy chain cord.

The Strobostomp has an XLR direct out, if that makes any difference to you...

And the Strobostomp is about 10x accuracy at 2x the price...

The TU-2 works; the Strobostomp is state of the art.

Slick51
 

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
28,396
Originally posted by Unburst
Anything with Peterson written on it.

The TU-2 is a major tone sucker and not very accurate.
Rubbish. The TU-2 is an excellent tuner.
 

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Messages
11,693
Originally posted by The Gainster
The DT-10 is all you need if you play live...easy to see and tracks VERY well.
I have this one and think it's just fine. Only about $75 too.
 

dash_doc

Member
Messages
554
Originally posted by Marcello
How's the TU12 ? i've seen it on pro boards here and there.
I gave mine up for a Peterson VS-1 years ago and have never looked back. Get a Peterson virtual strobe of some sort, your ears will thank you.
 

Stranglehold

Member
Messages
59
Yes, the Korg DT-10 is a great tuner & cheap. I don't know whether it's true or not but, I've heard that the expensive tuners are no more accurate than the cheap digital tuners.
 

Moe45673

Member
Messages
5,974
alright, to settle it

the boss TU-2 is accurate to within 3 cents (3/100 or 3% of a semitone)

The Korg DT-10 is accurate to within 1 cent (1/100 of a semitone)

The strobostomp is accurate to within 0.1 cents (1/1000 of a semitone)

The strobostomp is the BEST pedal tuner on the market.

However, if given a choice between the first two, go for the Korg, the only thing it doesnt have that the tu-2 has is the DC-out to power other pedals. They have the same price
 

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
29,207
Originally posted by Moe45673
alright, to settle it

the boss TU-2 is accurate to within 3 cents (3/100 or 3% of a semitone)

The Korg DT-10 is accurate to within 1 cent (1/100 of a semitone)

The strobostomp is accurate to within 0.1 cents (1/1000 of a semitone)

The strobostomp is the BEST pedal tuner on the market.

However, if given a choice between the first two, go for the Korg, the only thing it doesnt have that the tu-2 has is the DC-out to power other pedals. They have the same price
Good info, but the Peterson also responds more quickly, glitches less and is compensated for different octaves (which most other tuners aren't) plus the strobe thing is just easier to read as you get closer to the correct note. There's a reason that techs use old or new tech Peterson strobes to set intonation...
 

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
28,396
Originally posted by Ariel Pozzo
I have this one for live use: Fender PT100
Works great, it doesn't suck tone...and the blue LEDs ae cool! :)
Ooofff, I had that and took it back. The one I had took forever to lock onto the note and when it did it was all over the place. Completely useless.
 

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
6,957
Definitely a Sonic Research St-200
I'm amazed that it took until the second page for the Turbo Tuner to get mentioned.

I heartily second this recommendation. It's only $129, and very fast and accurate, with very robust construction.

This video sold me on the Turbo Tuner over the Peterson Stomp: http://youtu.be/8bY9H7ec6_0
 
Last edited:






Trending Topics

Top Bottom