• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What is a good tuner?

matthornet

The Polytune 2 has been really solid on my board. Fast and accurate. It's TCE's take on a true strobe tuner. Don't care about the strum mode but using it as a strobe tuner has been a real upgrade from a Korg Pitchblack.

Cosmic Osmo

I'm amazed that it took until the second page for the Turbo Tuner to get mentioned.

I heartily second this recommendation. It's only $129, and very fast and accurate, with very robust construction.

This video sold me on the Turbo Tuner over the Peterson Stomp: http://youtu.be/8bY9H7ec6_0
Not that amazing when you consider that the TT wasn't even on the market when this thread was started. :munch

kimock

This video sold me on the Turbo Tuner over the Peterson Stomp: http://youtu.be/8bY9H7ec6_0
Ha! That's the same vid that prevented me from buying one.
As if the ability to display a note name more quickly than it could be tuned represented any conceivable tuning advantage, backed with the indicated out-of-tuneness of the freshly tuned guitar displayed in the recognition time comparison. .:facepalm

There's a lesson in there about the relationship between tuner resolution vs. sample duration and the act of tuning vs. playing in tune that just goes right over most folk's heads.

It's a fine tuner, literally, but the user generated hype is mostly epic misunderstanding.

pale fire

Silver Supporting Member
The Polytune 2 has been really solid on my board. Fast and accurate. It's TCE's take on a true strobe tuner. Don't care about the strum mode but using it as a strobe tuner has been a real upgrade from a Korg Pitchblack.

Use this and really like it a lot - also have one of their minis if space is tight

Digital Wrath

I have a Polytune mini and a Pitchblack. Both of them get the job done, but I like the display and smaller size of the Polytune a bit more. That poly-mode is a nice bonus too, even though I don't use it very often.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I'm amazed that it took until the second page for the Turbo Tuner to get mentioned.

I heartily second this recommendation. It's only $129, and very fast and accurate, with very robust construction.

That's what I'm saying.

Turbo Tuner is "the best"

I keep a TU3 handy and only use it for the buffer in an acoustic rig or for the ultra bright daylight mode... Because we all know that outdoor gigs compromise tuning anyway.

JVIOLIN

Silver Supporting Member
That's what I'm saying.

Turbo Tuner is "the best"
I really agree with this. I play all sorts of instruments like violin, bass, cello, mandolin. It is the only tuner that's been able to get things spot on for me and I love how fast it tracks!!

DigitalTube

Silver Supporting Member
I'd suggest the Turbo Tuner, it's small, very well built, very accurate, easy to see even in daylight, and fairly priced.. best tuner I've ever used, and I've owned pretty much all of them in the past, the Strobo Stomp was accurate, but after the 3rd one crapped out on me, I gave up on them.

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
As if the ability to display a note name more quickly than it could be tuned represented any conceivable tuning advantage, backed with the indicated out-of-tuneness of the freshly tuned guitar displayed in the recognition time comparison.
I wasn't thinking of the second part of that video, where it admittedly overemphasizes the speed of note recognition. I was thinking about the first part that shows it to be as accurate as the Peterson, with similar ease of tuning. That coupled with the smaller size and lower price is what sold me.

kimock

I wasn't thinking of the second part of that video, where it admittedly overemphasizes the speed of note recognition. I was thinking about the first part that shows it to be as accurate as the Peterson, with similar ease of tuning. That coupled with the smaller size and lower price is what sold me.
It's very compact.
What I didn't get from the video is how easily visible the display on the TT is from a distance relative to its size.
My eyesight is crap, so that's a big point for me.
I keep a strobo-flip at home in my studio up on a cab with the display tilted toward me at eye level, so that's a convenient feature on that one for me.
TT's much better on the floor.

For most of my tuner needs I prefer VU meter style with cents markings.
Korg Orchestral and/or the Cleartune app on my iPhone are most useful for my BS.
I like to see the offsets displayed in useful musical terms, so I need the cents markings.

deathbyBONK

I've been using a planet waves tru strobe for a while. I got it used for 20 bucks. It's not great but for the price I like it a lot.

zoooombiex

It's very compact.
What I didn't get from the video is how easily visible the display on the TT is from a distance relative to its size.
My eyesight is crap, so that's a big point for me.
That's what sold me, for the same reason. If it's not clearly visible from the floor, the margin of error on my eyesight is going to quickly dwarf whatever the technical specs are.

When I'm tuning a keyboard at home though, I'm happy with either it or the Peterson.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom