What is a good wireless unit?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by archtopjazz, Sep 13, 2008.

1. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Is there anything that a majority of people are using?

Looking for something that doesn't loose tone, is simple to use, can put on the top of my amp, and doesn't break the bank.

TIA

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

lots of talk about the X2.

3. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

I did a lot of reading on wireless that does not suck tone. Then I did a lot of live auditioning.

How, well our group has had the luck of opening up for many big acts that come through our city.

From all of the artists and wireless units that have come through, I have found that I like the X2 digital wireless the best. When we opened up for Grechen Wilson they were trying them out. They had Shure, Sennheiser, and some othe brand..

As far as the tone is concerned the X2 was the best. I plugged in the wireless, played, then plugged straight into the amp. It was the closest I have ever heard to keeping the tone as pure as it would get with a wireless. No,,,its not perfect, but it is pretty dang close.

I am sure there are about a million other players on this forum that would argue that wireless will never be close to a straight plug. Well if you are in a small club and have little room to move around, you dont need wireless. Even in a large venue you could get a 30ft cable, but there is debate on tone loss with cables that are really long.

Also if guys use a cable into their favorite dumble sounding amp(or whatever they love) and have some tone sucking pedals, then what is the difference???

I got the stomp box version of the X2 and it has been great.

Buy it from a big box store that will give you a 45 day return. Use it, love it, or send it back.

I used to run the Shure L4 series. They were nice, but had to move on..

Good Luck, and I hope this mini blog helps.

JM

4. archtopjazz

Do you know what the difference is between the X2 and X2 Plus?

Thanks

5. Joses

Joses Member

X2 is smaller (boss size i think?)...plastic casing...single diversity...no external antennae.

XDS-PLUS is about a Nova Delay sideways...aluminium casing...dual diversity...2 external antennae.

6. archtopjazz

Hi Joses,

Thanks for the reply. Don't know too much about this stuff.
    What is dual diversity?
    Do you think the plus is worth the extra $100.00?

Thanks,

Jim

7. never-enough

never-enough Member

i have been using the x2 for well over a year.
    i have taken it on tour across the us, all over the uk and europe, and to japan.
    it has worked flawlessly and sounded great night after night.
    hope that helps.

8. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

love the (regular) X2, alternate it with using a vovox cable -
    and live - not sure I can really tell the difference all that much...

9. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

X2 is a great and convinet box and batteries can be used if you want instead of power supply.:banana

10. archtopjazz

If money doesn't matter, is it better to go with the X2 plus?

11. phatster

phatster Member

X2plus will send a longer signal and those antennae will pick-up alien mojo!

12. archtopjazz

:dude I need all the MOJO I can get

13. MojoFilter

MojoFilter Member

I've used the X2, and it works as advertised. I've gotten 135 feet away from the transmitter with no interruption in sound (measured by tape measure, in a warehouse that I used to rehearse in).

I've also tried a/b'ing it with Bill Lawrence cables (a 10' cable), and could not hear any difference.

The only knock that I would give the X2 is that the clip on the transmitter is a cheap wire clip, which fits in to two very small and rather fragile looking loops. I would change guitars a few times during a show, and on more than one occasion, the wire clip would break free from the transmitter when it was coming off my guitar strap. Luckily, I didn't break the loops on the actual transmitter...if I had, I would have had to figure something out quickly. As a whole, I was impressed very much by the sound quality and the range of it after using it for over a year, but I'm not particularly impressed with the plastic and wire chassis on the transmitter at all. If it were made of metal, with a much sturdier clip, I would give it an A+. As it is, and factoring price into it, I give it a solid B.

14. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey archtop jazz,

I'm very happy with X2 XDS95 wireless system (the cheaper pedalboard version). I find it works great for my needs. I did find the OEM 1/4" to 1/8" cable was not as sturdy when I broke it at a gig, so I ordered a really nice Lava cable to replace the one I broke. I power mine with a VHT Valvulator I tube buffer/power supply so the receiver has a steady DC power supply though the battery option is a nice feature for certain situations.

I also found the belt clip on the transmitter box to be unreliable as it wants to come out of the plastic housing if you moved it hard. I had to wrap gaffers tape around the transmitter to hold the belt clip in place so I could use the belt clip since I switch guitars and have only one transmitter. If I'm using one guitar, I just wrap gaffers tape around the transmitter & guitar strap.

Guitar George

15. Joses

Joses Member

Dual Diversity (I may be wrong on this one...but this is my layman's interpretation) is more or less where your signal is running on 2 seperate frequencies. This is to prevent possible drop-out and/or interference that one could experience if they were simply running their signal on a single frequency...so if something kills/interferes with one of your frequencies, the Dual Diversity claims that the second frequency would still keep your signal going where other wireless units would normally drop-out.

As for the extra $100, IMO it is worth it...even though I haven't tried the X95 personally. The aluminium casing is incredibly sturdy (I never was too fond of the 95's plastic casing) and, living in small-and-technologically-saturated-Singapore where frequencies & waves flood our air (mobile phones, wifi, radio comms, bluetooth, you-name-it), the Dual Diversity gives me good peace of mind. I've never had my signal drop-out :AOK

Only thing is that the PLUS's transmitter eats batteries like my 250lbs 16yr old cousin eats cheeseburgers! But that's another story..........:rotflmao

Hope this helps! :)

16. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

The only thing that would make me consider the newer one is if the increased frequency range translated into better sound....anyone noticed if it does?

I like the smallness of the original - that the box fits perfectly above my wah wah pedal on my pedalboard. The clip doesn't matter - I put the unit in a $5 camera case around my belt - and yes, the Lavacable upgrade cable is mandatory!

17. awaywardson

awaywardson Member

i'd actually love to see some pics of pedalboards that have the X2 or X2plus onboard... either posted here or PM me. very interested... thx.

18. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

How do the wireless units work out when running into fuzz pedals that want to "see" the guitar?

19. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

Here is my rig.

[​IMG]

And the Close up of the pedalboard!

[​IMG]

20. archtopjazz

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the info.
    That pedalboard looks sweet.

Thanks,