What is a Hipster ?

speedemon

Just an observation of the current state of the "Hipster" culture and since I live near "Hipster" central in LA now (a few blocks from Melrose near West Hollywood), I think I'm more than qualified to make that assessment. I'm sure some are good people, but the ones I've interacted on a daily basis with are self-absorbed, shallow, arrogant little *****. That goes for both male and female. And I'm as far from intolerant and judgmental as you can get...

Lol, that would be fair Peteyvee, except that 90% of this county is like that!:roll

urizen

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure but this is a hipster dufus

That's what Elaine said and the "label" she used (one long preceding the current usage/"denomination"), but he WAS true unto himself, sui generis, w/ no filter nor regard for the opinions of others (and this side---barely---of pathological).

Wrmbrnr

"Hipster" is just the latest post-modern subculture developed by (mainly) middle class white 18-34s to give themselves a cultural identifier. Many hipsters live off their parents money supplemented by "jobs" of approved hipster cred. The difference between the 1940s/50s hipsters and today's hipsters is that there is no underlying pathos but merely a contrived attempt to always be cooler than the next guy. This usually entails feigned dismissal of anything someone else is doing as being passe. It was constructed on a mish-mash of authentic cultural capital, from the original hipsters though every counter culture movement preceding it. Nothing is new; everything is stolen and used in an "ironic" sense of inauthenticity.

I think the most hipster thing a hipster could say is, "I was hipster before it was cool."
This guy has got it nailed down.

Also for those equating hipster with hippie - doesn't compute. Most hipsters I know are looking for the next new 20 seat garage restaurant to open up around the corner, they could not give a **** about being part of a community.

sanrico

These ****ing labels these humans come up with in an attempt to create this lie that there's human progress outside the mainstream. ****ing sick nuts.

I remember when it was cool to be a "burnout".

Holy ****. Evolved species 'cause of their "language" ' what a smoke and mirrors dime store gumball of a language.
Ok, hand us the gun. It's almost time for your applesauce and nap.

Bunky

My least favorite hipster is the hipsters that don't think they are hipsters and don't like hipsters....

scelerat

Silver Supporting Member
Hipsters are metaphorical punching bags for people peripherally aware of their own powerlessness, conformity and looming middle age.

Last edited:

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Silver Supporting Member
My least favorite hipster is the hipsters that don't think they are hipsters and don't like hipsters....
I don't know many hipsters, but if I did I think those would my most favorite.