What is a Peavey Classic 30 or Delta Blues like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sonic Reducer, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

What is the overdrive and cleans like on these amps?

2. Derelict

Derelict Member

stock:
    the cleans are ok but the OD is a tad nasal and harsh. the boost function is WAY too drastic. nice reverb. overall can be thin sounding.

with greenback speakers, the amp sounds a lot better, especially in OD, where it sounds, dare i say, marshallish. a different speaker makes a HUGE difference in this amp.

i recently sucessfully performed some mods to my classic 30 and MAN DOES THIS THING SOUND GOOD NOW. I am using an inexpensive jensen C12Q, and a groove tubes 12AX7C in V1, and this thing is absolutely incredible. i changed some of the tone stack values, changed the slope resistor, changed the OD values and wired the input to old fender stock specs, all of which can be found at www.blueguitar.org. now, i like the cleans better than my mesaF50 (although the drive isn't up to the F50's)!

overall, good amp for the money but stock, don't expect inspiring tone, but rather something more generic. a different speaker makes a WORLD of difference as do mods.

:cool:

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I had a Classic 30 until last year. It was good clean, especially with a graphic eq in the effects loop. It would take a high gain distortion pedal pretty well too. The louder you played it, the better it sounded.

Still smacking my forehead for selling this one.

4. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I started with two C30s, one with the blueguitar mods, the other stock. I actually preferred the stock one........ :eek: :rolleyes: I put good tubes in and my go-to speaker, the Jensen Neo. I've gigged a lot with it and it's a solid performer. I actually like the lead channel a lot. I put washers and tape over the boost switch so it will NEVER be accidentally engaged. THAT sounds terrible. It's not pittbull or bruno, but I think it's a great sounding amp when paired with the right guitar. And, it's the price of a boutique pedal.......... or cheaper!!

jon

5. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Just hope you never have to get it serviced.

6. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

?? Just hope no amp ever has to get serviced!

My C-30 has been serviced. Am I missing something?
    It is a great little amp and my main gig rig amongst much higher priced rigs. I put a Greenback and new pre tubes in mine.

7. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

From Lord Valve

8. lordcliffton

lordcliffton Member

"I put washers and tape over the boost switch so it will NEVER be accidentally engaged."

haha, GOOD IDEA. But I also mean it's a good idea for ANY amp where you don't want a button pushed accidentally.

peace

9. Derelict

Derelict Member

it is just hard to work on. a 3-sided circuit board that is crammed in there and so delicate. of course, i said that and i worked on mine with no prior experience.

10. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Lookit, for the price of a pedal, it's a throwaway as far as I'm concerned. My amp tech charges 100 bucks an hour. For an amp that can be had for ~$300, I'd just pull my tubes and speaker and pick up another. In the meantime, it's doin' fine......;)

jon

11. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

I enjoy the amp rather than look for trouble.
    When I needed some caps, it cost me $80.00 Canadian, thats about $5 Yanquie bux, big deal, my tech didn't think it was a big deal either. For the amount that I play this amp and through it in the trunk where it generally lives, that is nothing.
    Sure you can spend a lot more................go ahead!

12. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

My Delta is the single 15. It's got a good clean sound, not warm but not too harsh. It can start breaking up nicely on the clean channel around 11 o'clock. It's loud and it's heavy. I've heard that Peaveys are really difficult to work, but no more so than other PC board amps. I suspect if / when it dies, it may not get fixed. Meantime, it's my loud utility amp.