What is a reeeeally good set of kitchen knives? Something total quality?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, May 7, 2015.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    ..... yet affordable at an affordable price?

I'm tired of having to sharpen my knifes every time I want to cut an onion or something. :red

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  2. James M

James M Supporting Member

Check out Wustoff...or if you want to spend more, check out Shun, which are a work of art. Biggest thing is good balance and a full tang (the steel running all the way into the handle).

3. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

affordable = oxo soft grips. I used these professionally for years and they are great for the price. I have much nicer knives, but the soft grips are great bang for buck performance.

4. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

KAI makes some beautiful hand made knives in Japan. Their Santoku's are outstanding.

Other Japanese knives of excellent quality are Masamoto and Misono. Can't go wrong with either, IMO.

For French style knives, I prefer Thiers-Issard (they also make excellent straight razors).

Here's a link to an overview of various knife styles and makers:

http://www.cookfoodgood.com/?p=190

5. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

You actually made me laugh.

You want a perfect knife, of the highest quality, that never loses it's edge... for an affordable cost, whatever that means.

Personally, I enjoy sharpening my knives. I have a lot of good tools for it. I prefer the carbon steel Sabatier K knives. They have great cutting power. But... they require proper maintenance. Every time they are cleaned, they need to be wiped dry, to prevent rust. They can never be put in a dishwasher.

They are easy to sharpen and hold a great edge. I think they are reasonably priced for the quality.

Enjoy! Nothing better than great tools.

http://www.sabatier-shop.com/kitche...intage_cooking-knife-10-in__carbcui25pol.html

6. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

Victorinox repeatedly wins the America's Test Kitchen knife comparisons. If I didn't already have a nice set of Wusthof (with one Santoku from Mac Superior which is my everyday go-to) I'd definitely be checking them out -- ATK has yet to lead me astray with anything. :)

Edit: there should never be a need to sharpen a quality knife before every single use, but you should be honing them every single time without exception.

7. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Lots of choices! wow.... it's not like a Les Paul or Strat kind of thing in the knife world.

Good sharpeners! Now that is a good added bit of info too because I hate my sharpener! Thanks.

8. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

This^

9. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Wusthof, but like all knives they should be honed regularly, used only for their intended purpose (don't use a Chef's knife to open cans or a paring knife to whack a beef bone in half for stock) and only sharpened when they need it.

10. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, that is a good point. I hone every time but only sharpen about once a year. You'll know when it's time.

11. TStrat99

TStrat99 Member

I use shun, kind of expensive but they'll last for ever. I've had mine for 10 years probably and they're still as good as the day I bought them. They're a Japanese style knife. I hone them before every use and get them sharpened professionally about once a year. All you really need is 3 knives. An 8" chef's , a pairing, and a bread knife so it really is worth a little splurge if you take care of them. Budget wise look at Victorinix Forschner which are usually rated one of the best budget knives. They're stamped instead of forged like high end knives are. Medium range I would look at global. Both are western style knives. Always use a cutting board. I like epicurean, they're a natural wood fiber, are inexpensive, last a long time and are low maintenance. You can throw them in the dishwasher unlike wood cutting boards. Get two, label one for meat, one for everything else (vegetables, fruit, etc.) I don't like the wood cutting boards, you have to take care of them to much. If not bacteria grows In the tiny cuts. Just make sure you never put any knife you want to last in the dishwasher. That will ruin even the best knife. And get yourself a block to keep them in. They'll get dull banging around in a drawer.

12. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

The truths have already been spoken here, if you want the quality you have to shell out for it. I think Shun knives are fantastic for the money, I think their chef knife is like $120 and it's pro quality...considering that, it's a bargain. I also like Global, similar quality and price-point but bit different look and feel. For German style Wustoff or Henkel are probably the most popular, and also very good if you're willing to spend a little more.

And +1 to honing regularly, smoothing out those micro-pits will extend the useage time between proper sharpenings...

13. Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson Member

14. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

+1 for Shun. My wife gave me a few as an excellent surprise gift one year. You can go more affordable and still get a decent enough knife though. Do you have any commercial kitchen/cooking supply stores in your city? I know folks who swear by different knives they have purchased from those kinds of stores, all at reasonable prices.

15. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

Sure it is... Wustoff Classics are your Strat, Cutco is your LP, and Shun is your PRS. ;)

16. Sobbincat

Sobbincat Gold Supporting Member

Misono. The 440 moly is very good and not all that expensive. The Misono UX 10 is noticeably better, but costs more money. These are very strong, thin, and scary sharp knives that hold a keen edge very well. The gif with the knife slicing horizontally through a tomato is a Misono. A suntuko and a petty are all you need. Order on line from Korin.

http://korin.com/Knives/Misono-Knives_2

17. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

Won't say they are the BEST, but I have a good set of Henckel 4-star knives. Not their set, but rather those we need. I like the 8" Chefs knife, my wife prefers a Santuku. Plus a 6", bread (serrated), boning, 5" serrated tomato, and paring knives. Covers everything we need.

We found a block that fits this set perfectly, and mounts underneath the upper cupboard and swivels out. Very efficient.

I bought a Wusthoff motorized sharpener, which quickly brings each back to factory specs.
    I know this for a fact, when I wasn't paying attention and took a corner off my index finger (remember to curl your fingers so the blade rides on your first joint!). Couldn't quit since I was serving Copper River Salmon. So I just held a paper towel on the wound until we were finished, then walked the 2 blocks down to the ER and got it cauterized.

Big deal, played hockey for many years; "I've had worse".

18. stellablue

stellablue Member

I use vintage cork sniffer French knives most of you have never heard of. They're hand made in small batches.

19. madstrat

madstrat Member

I buy wustoff classic around the holidays. good deals to be had

20. MangoMango

MangoMango Supporting Member

I have had several Global knives for the better part of 15 years and I am honest when i say they are still close to sharp as the day i got them .

These knives are used multiple times a day and have literally been involved in making thousands of meals.

The key is:
    Never let anyone else use them. (we have the nice german set of knives the rest of the house uses and they suck)
    Never let them touch the counter or inside of the sink etc.
    Always use a cutting board and rinse and wipe clean.
    Keep them stored on a wooden knife holder. I like the flat drawer models.

Ive run them through a Global two stage sharpener maybe one a year since i've had them.

Incredible tools.