What is a Univibe?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Blues Wail, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

I know it's a Phaser of sorts but can one simulate the sound with a mix of chorus & Tremolo? And if so what settings?

2. benjammin

benjammin Member

3. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

4. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Like the article says, more of a phaser and tremolo, but the tremolo won't give you the uneven throb that a univibe produces-it kind of throbs twice instead of a steady once like a tremolo.

5. ed84246

ed84246 Member

I thought it was supposed to be more like a rotating speaker type sound than a phase shifter. But I can hear elements of both, definitely not what you'd immediatley think of as a phase shifter to my ears though.

6. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

7. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

Machine Gun - Jimi Hendrix.

Nothing sounds like and *feels* like a univibe . That's a very special effect however: only useful for hendrix covers in my opinion.

8. Creamy

Creamy Member

GReat point! This effect can give an "uneven" wavering.
    Still on a sin wave but with an indentation on the peaks.
    Hope this makes sense!

9. emjee

emjee Member

Robin Trower "Bridge Of Sighs" is a good example?

10. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

In terms of electronics the original Shinei Univibe is actually a 4 stage phaser. However, it's phototcell technology gives it pulsing type of character. Although chorus is one of it's selectable modes, it doesn't really have much to do with today's choruses which are a delay or time based effect with the ability to modulate or warble the effected sound.

11. Josh Fiden

Josh Fiden Member

That's exactly correct. A few notes: it differs from a traditional phase shifter in that each of the 4 stages are tuned to different frequencies, alternating high to low. Also, the feel of it is more than just the photocells. The specific combination of oscillator, incandescent lamp, and CdS photocells all contribute to the unique feel.

The oscillator is a true sine wave. Because the lamp is incandescent, its luminous intensity doesn't follow current, like an LED, but temperature. This means that the filament heats up quickly, then cools down more slowly. The photocells also don't change instantaneously with the intensity of incident light, but decrease resistance much faster than they increase. Last, the variation in photocell response from one to the next, their exact position and orientation relative to the lamp causes each stage to move a little out of sync with the others.

Put that all together and you have the very unique tone and feel of an authentic Univibe.

Regards,

Josh Fiden
    Founder / CEO
    www.voodoolab.com

12. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

Thanks Josh! Nick still working with you guys? The ONLY pedal from VL that I did not bond with was my Micro Vibe, However I saw a guy on you tube use some settings that I may try to give it another chance. Zone does not have any on order though. The serring used was Intensity Full up & speed @ 3. I was always struggling with the settings and got the VL Analog Chorus which does a helluva roto sim!:drink

13. Josh Fiden

Josh Fiden Member

Nick's been gone for a few years now.

I agree about the VL Analog Chorus. My favorite sound from it is both intensity and speed full up for a leslie feel.

A few things about the Microvibe. It is sensitive to battery voltage. You really should run it from a regulated power supply, but if not, realize that as soon as the battery starts to sag much, it won't sound right. It has the same input impedance as the original Univibe, so it will sound different if driven directly from your guitar vs a buffer or other pedal. Also, you may like the internal trim at a slightly different setting.

If you're going to adjust the internal trim:

1. Only do it with a fresh battery installed or better from a regulated power supply.

2. Make a note where the factory setting is so you can put it back if you don't like your change. (We commonly get them in for repair where the only problem is the trim is set all the way up or down).

3. The circuit must be in darkness to work properly. So turn the trim a little, then put the back cover in place. You don't need to put the screws back in, but hold it together so it is light tight while you listen.

In general, turning the trim up gives a pulsier, more intense throb, turning it down makes it smoother. Too high and it sounds bad, too low and it sounds more like a phaser without any "vibe".

Incidently, this oscillator trim adjustment is identical to that of an original Univibe.

I hope that helps your next Microvibe experience!

Regards,

Josh Fiden
    Found / CEO
    www.voodoolab.com

14. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

?!?!?!?!

There are a lot of ways to use 'vibe pedals, from subtle to seasick.

15. Dale

Dale Member

I like it for gainy leads and clean sparkle rhythms ... well my version of it (MicroVibe)

16. Josh Fiden

Josh Fiden Member

Definitely!

Check out the 7 mp3's on our page. Only 2 are Hendrix inspired.

http://voodoolab.com/microvibe.htm

Thanks,

Josh Fiden
    Founder / CEO
    www.voodoolab.com

17. Bonenut

Bonenut Member

Hey Josh, good to see you posting here! I live about 2 miles from the shop, and although I don't presently own any VL products I recommended the MV as an affordable alterantive to pricey Uni-Vibe clones to a jazzer buddy of mine, and he absolutely loves it! I was really surprised when he told me, "Hey these things are made over on Coffey Lane!" I grew up out in Bennett Valley but live on the outskirts of town nowadays. Great job describing the workings of the Uni-Vibe circuit by the way. :)

18. Josh Fiden

Josh Fiden Member

Glad to hear your friend digs the vibe. We moved here from Petaluma a little over 2 years ago. The weird thing is this building was EMG for about 25 years. That was a completely unusual deja vu accident.

Thanks,
    Josh

19. Bonenut

Bonenut Member

I forgot about EMG being here in town. I used to hang out occasionally over at Alembic when it was off of Cleveland Avenue along the freeway. That's going back awhile!
    Cheers!