What is acceptable weight for a strat and other questions about buying online...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lauri Vennonen, May 23, 2020.

1. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

I'm shopping for a new strat and I'm looking at used CS and some other higher end models. There are few that would otherwise be ok, but are a bit heavy, like 3.7 - 3.85kg. My K-Line Texola is 3.3kg as is my EJ that I'm going to part with, I want a rosewood board an 9.5 radius.

What is too much in your opinion?

2. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

I don't count ounces when buying guitars personally, it's almost the least important thing to me.

willyboy, GT100, sunking101 and 3 others like this.
  3. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I ordered basically my dream Strat and its 3.3kg (7.25 pounds). I'd say 7-7.5 pounds is the perfect weight for a Strat.

Mangy71, shane8, Rossi163 and 2 others like this.
  4. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member Vendor

assuming the guitar is made of "normal" materials, there is no such thing as "too much" ..

You pickup a guitar and play it .. if you like it you buy it, if you don't like it you sit it down and try another..

buying a guitar based in a list of physical metrics someone else has suggested is "normal" is abnormal..

But, and I'm not certain if you're a Guy or a Girl.. you may want to consider one made of Paulownia if your physique makes it difficult to "wear" a standard guitar through a set..

r

modavis99, GT100, Lt Dak and 4 others like this.
  5. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

It's not the most important to me either, but when the really important things are equal, it does enter the equation.

That sounds like the ideal weight to me too.

There are very few shops here that carry top of the line instruments so online buying is my most likely choice. That's why I need to use the numbers a bit more.

Jabby92 likes this.
  6. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

For a Strat personally I'd ideally be looking no heavier than 8lb (3.65kg-ish). 3.85kg is about right for a Les Paul (mine weighs 3.89). But everyone is different, depends on the balance, the strap you're using, so many factors.

Lauri Vennonen likes this.
  7. jm9239

jm9239 Member

I’d say 6.5 to 7.75 lbs is acceptable, with my ideal being 6.5 to 7.25. Some people are okay with up to 8 lbs but imho that’s pushing it for a strat, especially when there are numerous options (especially CS’) available are lower weights.

teleman1, Mangy71, Rossi163 and 3 others like this.
  8. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

I guess the question I'm trying to answer is how long should I look for "the right one" and how much to pay for it. I know these are highly subjective things, just looking for others experiences to give me some perspective.

9. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

10. Tune-O-Matic

Tune-O-Matic Member

11. Madison

Madison Member

For a strat I like 7 lbs, but just bought one at 7.6 lbs and it's great. My paulownia tele is 5.6 lbs. Just get what feels, sounds and plays right. Definitely ask though, 20 years ago I ordered by phone a CS strat that showed up at well over 4kg, and it went back. Since, I'm more attentive to weight.

Jabby92 and Lauri Vennonen like this.
  12. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

Yes, I have 3-4 strats in my radar that are otherwise right and within my price range. I've contacted all the sellers and got the info I need to make the choice.

monty and Madison like this.
  13. SRT2011

SRT2011 Member

I have purchase many strat style guitars that are all over the map weight wise. The good news is that in my experience "The Strat Shape" balances well (i.e. no neck dive) regardless of weight. Really it just boils down to how much weight you are willing to strap around your shoulders. If you are looking at high end CS Fenders, you might also want to consider a Suhr Classic S. I own one and it is easily one of "The Best Strats" I have ever played. It did weigh in around 8 pounds, but not an issue for me.

14. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

Yes, the strat shape is very ergonomic compared to a Les Paul for example. I try not to spend over 2500€, so I don't have endless choices.

15. monty

monty Member

I'm def. in the under 8 pound club. I have heavier guitars, but Strats don't feel right (to me) heavier than that.

Jabby92, shane8 and Nigel Davenport like this.
  16. SRT2011

SRT2011 Member

A new Suhr Classic S in the states goes for $2800. Used can sometimes be found in the low to mid $2000 range. Of course, I have no idea what they go for in Finland? Also, not trying to sell you on it, just something to consider. Best of Luck!

17. PartoftheDark

PartoftheDark Member

I’ve never had a strat weigh so much that it was a problem. I honestly don’t bother checking their weight. Les Pauls on the other hand...

18. jm9239

jm9239 Member

As long as it takes to find the right one for you. Cost wise is based on what you can afford and how long you’re willing to save if you end up finding something that floats your boat but that’s above your initial price range. Follow your instincts.

In my case, I know what I want and will spend weeks, months, or even years to wait for the right one. I’m constantly looking and rarely buying because I’m very particular and you can usually find what you want if you’re patient. My Collings, PRS, Danocaster, FCS and Suhr all have the specs I want including being at or under 7 lbs.

19. korus

korus Member

Definitely less than 8 lbs for a Fender bolt on neck guitar type.

Ideally 7.0 - 7.6, with preferably Tele in the lower and Strat in the upper half.

Which is not engraved in stone. My Tele is 7.6 and Srrat is 7.3, and both perfect exactly as they are, their weights included.

OTOH going clearly below 7 lbs has proved itself as something I dislike. Not the light weight, but the light tone.

Surely, anyone's MMV. We are all different, nature and nurture.

shane8 likes this.
  20. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

To answer your question, I think most people expect Strats to be between 7.0 and 8.0 pounds.

Most people can't tell the difference between 7.25 and 7.5 pounds, but on TGP we have a lot of people who declare that a quarter of a pound is the difference between a guitar they can play all night and one that will screw up their back, so take whatever you read here with a grain of salt.

As far as how much it should cost, Reverb is basically the price guide these days. Find the lowest asking price on Reverb for several models similar to what you are looking for. Subtract 10 or 20% from that, and you probably have a good idea what your target price should be.

Gms likes this.