What is an aesthetic deal breaker for you on guitars?

Tony Done

Hmm, too many to list. here's a few:

Heavy
Blingy
Carved top
Fancy timber
Some headstocks (eg PRS)
Points and spikes
"Odd" shapes
Bright colours
"Modern" trems.

I like lightweight strats and LP Jrs/Sps in plain timber or colours, plus a few oddities, like early Zemaitis with engraved metal tops and some 3D-printed bodies.

There's so much choice these days, there's no need to go with something that turns you off a bit.

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
I don’t draw many hard lines...for the right price I’d buy a guitar that I didn’t like the looks of. I don’t particularly care for the looks of an explorer but if you bring me a real Gibson korina explorer and tell me you want $150 for it I’m gonna buy it.

misterg71

The premier Hack Guitarist
Silver Supporting Member
I know it seems silly to rule out a guitar on looks when sound and playability are far more important, yet there are visuals that will be deal breakers for me. Do you have any?

Headstocks can be a deal breaker for me.

That's a nice looking HS there. Substance over style.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
1. I don't buy guitars online
2. reliced
3. odd shapes that look like an afterthought
4. horrendous colors

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
it's funny how for the longest time I thought "knots in the wood was bad"....but I believe that EVH's original Frankie guitar had a knot in it somewhere-that's why it was deemed a second. and of course Rick Kelly has made a cottage industry of having knotted pine guitar bodies built and it seems fine.
I actually like pine for a body wood...so the knots and imperfections don't bother me....

Knots in the wood (can't stand pine guitars).

Natural headstock on a rosewood neck (not a total dealbreaker but I much prefer matching or black headstock).

I can't see myself ever playing something uberflamed.

LaXu

Several colors:
  • Tobacco sunburst that is black on the edges, more like shitburst.
  • Dogpuke yellow.
  • 3-tone sunburst. It's so boring and reminds me of my first guitar which was a piece of crap.
  • All black.
  • Clownburst.
For the record, I like lots of colors and finishes, just not those ones.

Other than that:
  • Tribal inlays. Remember the Schecters from early 2000s?
  • Pickguards that don't follow the curves of the body. See Gibson Dusk Tiger.
  • "Lumpy" bodies that look like an undefined blob. See that Klein headless guitar.
  • James Tyler headstock. The body finishes are real nice though but man, he really shot himself in the foot (head?) with that headstock...

GiorgioV

it's funny how for the longest time I thought "knots in the wood was bad"....but I believe that EVH's original Frankie guitar had a knot in it somewhere-that's why it was deemed a second. and of course Rick Kelly has made a cottage industry of having knotted pine guitar bodies built and it seems fine.
I actually like pine for a body wood...so the knots and imperfections don't bother me....
I am sure they sound absolutely fantastic. It's just that, aesthetically, I can't stand them. They remind me too much of furniture.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
this sort of reminds me of the old Les Paul quote that "people hear with their eyes".

I am sure they sound absolutely fantastic. It's just that, aesthetically, I can't stand them. They remind me too much of furniture.

Ridgeback

Quit a few, but the ones that come to mind first are:
  • Body wear through the finish to the raw wood (real or heavy relic).
  • Wear on the top of the fretboard or unrealistic wear on the back of the neck. (real or relic).
  • "Teardrop" sunbursts.
  • Pointy headstocks or bodies
  • Lots of bursts and colors I would never want to own no matter how nice the guitar was.
  • Black hardware.

Yamaha 350

So you'd be perfectly content with an Esteban? :)
I like his Paula Abdul guitar he had made and the solid body electric. Solid body is made like a Switch Vibracell with 3 single coils. I like the 4 Keith Urban guitars. They are as a good as any 400 dollars or less guitar. Better than a few Squires. And much better than those cheap bullets.