What is an inexpensive delay for a player getting into shoegaze for the first time?

jj7642

I need to do a more comprehensive test, but sometimes my guitar does sound a bit different with the ODR in the change. With that said, I am planning to use it with a switching system so it’s not really a concern. I do wish they would just fix that. The mini version for some reason is true bypass. It would be nice if analogman would offer a mod.

Maybe a two-for-one like the EQD Avalanche Run or Keeley Caverns.
Not a bad idea. Source Audio also has the Collider, a Reverb/delay combo.

skiprehab

I am using a NUX Academy... I looked at the Atlantic a while back... I like the NUX value on all their stuff...Thanks...serious consideration on that.
Yeah, while I'm not into shoegazing at all, I do have Nux Atlantic on my little board and have toyed with it. With it's delay and reverb combination it can be at least ok to shoegazing stuff and it's probably the best price/value pedal out there since new ones cost about 100$ or so. I bough mine used for 45€!

Surely any combination of two individual pedals from Strymon, MXR, Source Audio, Eventide, BOSS etc would give sonically finer sounds, but if price is a concern, I don't think there's a better bang for buck available and it's good enough that in the band mix nobody would notice any difference.

Gatton56

Yeah, while I'm not into shoegazing at all, I do have Nux Atlantic on my little board and have toyed with it. With it's delay and reverb combination it can be at least ok to shoegazing stuff and it's probably the best price/value pedal out there since new ones cost about 100$ or so. I bough mine used for 45€!

Surely any combination of two individual pedals from Strymon, MXR, Source Audio, Eventide, BOSS etc would give sonically finer sounds, but if price is a concern, I don't think there's a better bang for buck available and it's good enough that in the band mix nobody would notice any difference.
I like my Academy.... I have the Optima pedal also... NUX is good for what it is...not high end but usable.... I'm kinda thinking one higher end reverb/delay pedal would get me into most shoegaze stuff...thanks for the reply....that Collider pedal someone mentioned seems pretty sweet.... I have just a little over $300 to work with if i include reverb.

NoiseNinja

NUX Tape Core Deluxe, amazing digital emulation of the legendary Roland RE-201 Space Echo tape delay (and NUX might not be high end prices, but it's still high end sound. Don't let your ears get fooled by the price tag on a pedal!).

It even allows for you to add reverb as well to the delay, via the software editor, which gives you control over a lot of extra parameters/features that can be saved to each of the 7 modes (representing all possible combinations of the 3 emulated tape playback heads, and there's even an 8th mode, which is a looper function).

Delivers a really beautiful ethereal delay, with a slight unique modulation to it from the emulated tape wow and flutter, though if you wish so you can dial that completely out of the equation or make it really prominent in the software editor (even has a separate control for respectively wow and flutter, which is unusual), though the stock settings does sound amazing already (what I personally use on the 2 NUX Tape Core pedals currently on my board, the only thing I changed is activating the auto tap tempo mode).

The software editor also allows for activating an auto tap tempo mode that will make the pedal automatically detect and activate the tap tempo function each time you tap the foot switch 2 or more times successively, instead of the stock mode, where you need to hold down the foot switch down for 2 seconds to activate the tap tempo function (if this mode is engaged it will of course be saved to the pedal).

Also, off topic, but remember that having some sort of reverb stacked into distortion is really common in Shoegaze, and makes for a huge ethereal distortion sound with a somewhat eerie vibe to it.

Last edited:

fuzzaholic

I'd first just try the Boss approach. I'd say the whole shoegaze genre was basically build on Boss RV-3 and DD-3 pedals.

Having tape/BBD/digital/reverse options would be a nice bonus though, but I'd personally stay away from reverb+delay combo pedals that claim to be an all-in-one solution.

I tried a whole bunch of 'em. I guess I've got a pretty nitpicky taste for verb/delay, but the 2-1 pedals I tried always felt like a compromise one way or the other. It really depends on how washy or complex or layered you want to sound, and how much versatility you want from your pedals...cause even just an RV-3 would get you a long way imo.

Gatton56

I'd first just try the Boss approach. I'd say the whole shoegaze genre was basically build on Boss RV-3 and DD-3 pedals.

Having tape/BBD/digital/reverse options would be a nice bonus though, but I'd personally stay away from reverb+delay combo pedals that claim to be an all-in-one solution.

I tried a whole bunch of 'em. I guess I've got a pretty nitpicky taste for verb/delay, but the 2-1 pedals I tried always felt like a compromise one way or the other. It really depends on how washy or complex or layered you want to sound, and how much versatility you want from your pedals...cause even just an RV-3 would get you a long way imo.
Thanks for your reply.... yeah... shoegaze is normally lo-fi if i'm not mistaken.... maybe i need to study some pedals boards of that genre and maybe not complicate things too much.

fuzzaholic

Thanks for your reply.... yeah... shoegaze is normally lo-fi if i'm not mistaken.... maybe i need to study some pedals boards of that genre and maybe not complicate things too much.

Absolutely. Keep it simple, or at least unitll you figured out what your band/songs need(s) and you're ready to spend big bucks on an RE-202 or a Neunaber Immerse or whatever :)

jllopez

I'd go DD-8, DD-20, or a DL4. Tons of weird dreamy noises to make, none are crazy expensive (go used), and most important, reverse delay!

chromewaves

Also kind of obvious but who do you think of when you say shoegaze? MBV does not sound like Slowdive does not sound like Ride does not sound like Cocteaus. More specifics about what you’re aiming for will get better answers. Though Boss is never a wrong answer.

Last edited:

Takk

This. Buy an RV-3 and experiment with it.

loomer76

EHX Canyon. I've managed to get MBV, Ride, Slowdive out of mine when combined with other pedals. The secondary options help. Reverse delay, multi delay (repeats at same volume), modulated etc. Can do pitch shifting and octave effects as well.

KingsXJJ

What sort of delay times and subdivisions are used in shoegaze?

Any popular songs or bands I could check out?

AndreasG

Boss DD‘s and RV are always a safe bet. if you want to be really cheap go with a TC Flashback mini and HOF mini. Those have all the options and you can experiment a bit…then if you like what you hear all doors are open

NoiseNinja

What sort of delay times and subdivisions are used in shoegaze?

Any popular songs or bands I could check out?
Think big ambient like washes, as well as short delay times with a relatively high feedback setting and a somewhat subdued attack, delay usually primarily having a more reverb like functionality.

Last edited:

jcoriha

A brand new BOSS DD8 would probably get you on your way and last quite a long time. There is a reason BOSS is a mainstay of touring performances. Between regular digital delay, tape and reverse modes you have a great starting point for a lot of the sounds on all the shoegaze records. If you like those you can always add more esoteric and specific pedals later.

Top Bottom