What is best OS compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jim Moulton, Feb 16, 2010.

What is your favorite Orange Squeezer?

1. Analogman Juicer

2. Pedalworks Mcsqueeze

3. Farndurk Defcon 1

4. Bajatech Da Squeezer

5. Hartman Compressor

6. Pedaldoc Tangerine Squeeze

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

What Orange Squeezer , Dan Armstrong, is your fave,?

Analogman Juicer
    Hartman Compressor
    Bajatech Da Squeezer
    Farndurk Burgs
    Pedalworks Mcsqueeze
    Tangerine Squeeze

Any Other?
    Jim:rimshot

2. VIqbang

VIqbang Member

Played with a Hartman and it is the only compressor I've ever purchased. I'm sure the others may be of similar quality, but they aren't handy in local shops nearby to test. So, for me, Hartman by far.

Never thought I would own a compressor...now I do.

3. Relayer

Relayer Member

Maine; slightly to the left of the 21st century
    I have an MXR Dynacomp from 1974 that I still use in certain recording situations. As long as the battery is brand new-fresh, it beats all! and no, it's not for sale!

4. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

Dynacomp is a Ross, not orange squeezer type compressor, this is only for orange squeezers
    Jim

5. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

The Pedaldoctor FX one I have sounds great. Come to think of it, I need to put it back on my board... been compressorless for far too long.

6. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I have the BBE Main Squeeze (later called the Orange Squash), which you didn't ever have in your list, and it is great. It's usable throughout the range of the intensity control (unlike a Dynacomp, for instance), is true bypass, and affordable.. All that I need, unfortunately now discontinued. You can still find them new at many places, however.

Al

7. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I use the BBE too. Haven't tried the others but I was looking for a OS type comp and the Main Squeeze was/is exactly what I was looking for.

8. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

Let me clarify something, just did this for curiosity, that is all, someone thought that I was trying to downplay Orange Squeezers, actually love them, they can be very different in sound and compression. Analogman got the most votes , Anyone say something about why they like Mike's juicer as opposed to other alternatives, besides it being very popular?
    Jim:rimshot

9. EBGB

EBGB Member

Got the Analogman Juicer in the mail today

It was in use with a Tele in a recording session within an hour

A very fun compression sound

I had to vote for the Analogman... although I haven't tried the others:rockin

10. ccrystle

ccrystle Member

After I got Hartman's Germanium Fuzz, I got the treble boost, and from there if Hartman has it that becomes my standard when I care about tone (just about always).

The Hartman Compressor is smooth, clean, punchy when it needs to be, responsive without coloring. I haven't tried anything on the list other than Analogman, which is fine, but there's a richness about the Hartman tone I prefer.

I still have other pedals and use them for specific stuff. I always travel with the Hartman pedals; the other stuff might make it in depending on stage size.

disclaimer: I know Hartman, largely because of a music relationship, but I never let relationships get in the way of tone.

11. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

Hartman's is the only one I had and I loved it, someone swiped it in the mail, thinking about what to replace it with, maybe, itself!!!!
    J

12. FAT TIME

FAT TIME Member

Analogman Orange juicer player. you can set the inside trimpot bias for your pickup type (single coils vs humbuckers) I usually play humbuckers and I set this trimpot to be humbuckerfriendly. Can Boost your signal. One night I was playing and the juicer was on and I stomped by accident on the Beano Boost and I couldnt believe how good and appropriate they work together.At the end of the tune the drummer told me if you change that setup I will leave the gig. Since then I am always stacking the juicer to find good matches for any given musical situation.

13. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

That is different, never heard of a trimpot on an OS for single coil or humbuckers, usually on a one knobber, it is for amount of compression, I would have to ask Mike about this, but I'm guessing that you go with less Compression with a humbucker.
    The Juicer as most Armstrongs are good for a boost too, I used to turn the comp knob on my Hartman down and I would have a great clean boost
    J

14. FAT TIME

FAT TIME Member

Of course the trimpot is not for that, I am sorry for any missunderstanding, I am from Argentina and my english is rusty and old fashioned, what I meant was that It allows you to set your preference for your pickup type, I followed the Manual instructions and moved it clockwise for less compression + better Volume qualities for a humbucker pickup guitar, Mike marks this trimpot with a factory setting, he also suggests a setting for a stratocaster guitar.Sorry for any inconvinience.

15. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

I understood you very well, no biggy
    J

16. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

Farndurk Burgs II. Man oh man ... never knew what I was missing.

17. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

Farndurk makes one of the most unique os pedals around, great build, great tone, Brian is a great guy, His pedals are not hard on the eyes either!!!
    Jim

18. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

Favorite OS was the one that Bob McBroom designed for Tone Factor called the Tone Factor Squeeze Factor. It was pretty limited and will never be made again but it was the best to me. Other ones I've had are the Analogman Juicer and McSqueeze. Now that I have a Tele I'm planning on buying one of these again and the Juicer is what I'm going for.

19. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

Divided Sky, I loved the Squeeze Factor too, it is available again at Pedalworx for 175. A little high, but it has a very unique compression, Bob Mcbroom is making pedals for PW now.
    Jim

20. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

Really? Cool. I couldn't find it at their site. Got a link? Thanks. :)