What is "chirp?"

Always-Ben

Silver Supporting Member
I keep hearing this term thrown around (especially regarding D-type pedals) and I'm wondering what it sounds like.

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
Here are a couple of good quotes from 2011 threads on the subject:

I had a set of TimWhite humbuckers that had chirp. A pleasant high frequency tone with a slight hint of harmonic feedback to the notes. Usually very sensitive to pick attack light or hard. The notes seem to jump out and have a clean musical quality to them not unlike the chirping of a songbird.

:42 and 1:30 are pretty good examples. My favorite RF tone is the outro solo of 'Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood'

Always-Ben

Silver Supporting Member
Here are a couple of good quotes from 2011 threads on the subject:
Ohhhh. That sound. Thanks

Hmmm, I don't really like that sound, it always seems to stick out in a bad way whenever I play lead lines higher on the neck, especially if I'm hitting the same string/note repeatedly. How could I decrease this sound in terms of technique and equipment?

Always-Ben

Silver Supporting Member
It's also a shame, because I was thinking about getting a J Rockett Dude, when I heard that it had chirp, which got me curious. Now I'm listening to the demo vids and now I can't Unhear the chirp...

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member

Hmmm, I don't really like that sound, it always seems to stick out in a bad way whenever I play lead lines higher on the neck, especially if I'm hitting the same string/note repeatedly. How could I decrease this sound in terms of technique and equipment?
You probably can't avoid it at this point: You're posting on TGP in a Dumble thread and we're talking about Robben Ford. I think I can hear you playing over the changes in my head at this very moment!

Always-Ben

Silver Supporting Member
Is there anything like the Dude out there (that thick, ballsy low mids you can dial in or out, medium to high gain, great for power chords or leads) without the chirp?

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member

yeah that is funny! i dont like that sound either! i get it too much with certain combinations of pedals.

i just eq it out and don't use my bridge pickup unless the tone knob is rolled off a bit

Whatever it is, I guess it doesn't bother me as I don't hear anything in that video clip that I find offensive. In fact, I don't really hear anything out of the ordinary.

Presc

Is there anything like the Dude out there (that thick, ballsy low mids you can dial in or out, medium to high gain, great for power chords or leads) without the chirp?
Alot of the "chirp" is in your pick attack IMO. People buy Dumble-style pedals and play them in a manner that emphasizes that sound. No harm in trying the Dude and seeing if it works. I like the Barber Direct Drive for a mid-high gain OD with good sustain/compression for leads and aggressive mids that doesn't necessarily "chirp".

meowmers

Pick material can affect this "chirp" quality, using a V-pick that is made from glass, or a Jazz III Ultex that has a smooth surface, or say a coin as used by Brian May, these picks glide over the strings while emphasising different harmonic content that results in the "chirp"

Trending Topics