What is considered a long cable run????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, Feb 13, 2009.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

I have been evaluating my set up and may need some new cables trying to minimize extra and too much length. What is considered escessive?

I have a 10 footer to the pedal board. an 18' to the amp, two 18' cables to run the effects loop. My amp's loop is buffered (Egnater) as are some of my pedals.

Thanks.

2. mobis8

mobis8 Member

From what I have read on here, I believe anything longer than 18 feet is considered a long run... While you are driving the speed limit to to speak, I think you are fine.

3. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Personally, I don't sweat cable length. You gotta have what you gotta have. If some of the joints you play allow for you to be 15 feet away from your amp, you'd need 18' cables from your board to the amp. So be it. I've said this in other cable threads... I actually like some resistance in my cables and a bit of tone suckage. It's not always a bad thing depending on the guitar and amp used.

4. mobis8

mobis8 Member

Absolutely true for practical application...

In terms of understanding the gear, and cause/effect there is a known ratio for how long a cable can be before one will experience the "effect" of tone suckage at the audible or feel level...

5. earthtonesaudio

earthtonesaudio Member

I used a 50ft speaker (non-coaxial) cable once. It was bad.

6. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks, some say 18, or 20, is the limit, but is this all together or just one cable? I have one 18' from the pedal board to the amp and two 18 footers in the loop(board to amp and back).

For gigs, I never get 10' past my amp so 15' should do. I was going to order new cables. However, it helps to have the one from board to amp a little longer since I cable tie everything into a snake and bring it in from the back of the amp - this way I can feed the one around to the input.

For rehearsal though....it is nice having long runs to move around the room for various reasons.

7. mobis8

mobis8 Member

I "think" it means 18 feet without a buffer of some kind. In other words (and I may be wrong about this) you can have an 18 foot cable going into a good buffer, than another 18 feet to the amp and wouldn't notice any difference. Again a cable expert should chime in on this one to confirm...

8. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I'm no expert but i'd say the longest I ever used was a 25' into my board and a 25' to the amp. I don't recall ever thinking the cables were killing my sound.

Then again, that was before I knew anything about cable length and quality affecting tone... so I rocked out in ignorant bliss anyhow!!

But hey, if your gonna jump up on a table and bust out a bitchin lead, you need a long cable! Tone be dammed!!:dude

9. mobis8

mobis8 Member

better yet, a wireless... If I am jumping on a table to rock out a lead, the last thing I want to do is end up on the floor after hitting the tripwire my 30 foot cable became...

10. rob2001

rob2001 Member

HA!!! Been there, done that!! From stud to dud in a matter of seconds!!! Not from the cable though.... must have been a bra or maybe the snakeskin boots....:D

11. papersoul

papersoul Member

I heard Fatsoflex are some of the best around but I wonder if it is more noticable in the studio...not live!

12. Turiguiliano

Turiguiliano Member

:agree