• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What is CRANG / KRAANG??

TChen

I never understood this term. The other day I played through some vintage, low-watt speakers that had a distinct sweetness and subtle bite in the upper midrange. Is this what Krrrang is?

stratotastic

Kerrang is the sound when you drop a piece of metal like crowbar or rebar on a concrete floor.

Other than that it's just another dumb word people use to try to describe some unquantifiable aspect of guitar tone (a la "buttery," "creamy," etc.)

Fireball XL5

Silver Supporting Member
For me 'kraang' is the sound AC/DC gets. That percussive power chord crunch of an old non-master volume Marshall that's right on the brink. Somewhat cleanish, but still crunchy and mean with lot's of bell-like overtones.

LSchefman

The Beatles used AC50s on A Hard Day's Night.
Haha! OK, AC50s then! ;)

Ya know, I have the Beatles Recording Sessions Book, and the picture facing the notes on the Hard Days Night sessions has an AC30 on some sort of chair or stand. But, it turns out, that was from two weeks before at a studio in France for something else.

I don't have any pictures from that HDN session, and the session notes don't indicate the amp model.

So I'm wondering where to get that info?

Last edited:

Gretsch&Vox

Haha! OK, AC50s then! ;)

Ya know, I have the Beatles Recording Sessions Book, and the picture facing the notes on the Hard Days Night sessions has an AC30 on some sort of chair or stand. But, it turns out, that was from two weeks before at a studio in France for something else.

I don't have any pictures from that HDN session, and the session notes don't indicate the amp model.

So I'm wondering where to get that info?

Check out George H. at 3:05, knocking over the speaker cabinet of a small box AC50 (the AC50 head is on the floor). Their AC50s were electronically very similar (the brilliant channel, that is) to the AC30, the exception being the EL34s and the midax horns.

Tommy_G

Is it the whole envelope of the chord, or is it those sweet upper mid harmonics that are there when a chord is first struck...eg. the early breakup of the EL34's?

robertkoa

For me 'kraang' is the sound AC/DC gets. That percussive power chord crunch of an old non-master volume Marshall that's right on the brink. Somewhat cleanish, but still crunchy and mean with lot's of bell-like overtones.
Yeah- that's what I was going to say, not necessarily AC/DC but good example, sometimes even a little cleaner than AC/DC but cranked usually Marshall volume with the output tubes doing more of the work-it's a very clear Harmonic Distortion- Hendrix used to get it on his "clean" tones live often ( when he wasn't using Pedals ), as another example.

"Kerrang"

Tweed335

I always associated this sound with Tweed tone.

I know Marshalls were 'spinoffs' of the Tweed Bassman so maybe that's where I hear it.

It's like a pure, raw, harmonically rich tone that sounds like the amp could just get up, take the guitar out of your hands and finish the song for you. When you hear it and it's you and your guitar making the sound, the amp sounds 'alive!' and your guitar just vibrates. It's a great feeling.

ROKY

To my ears [and tastes] :

Malcom Young and Pete Townsend are the 2 reigning Kings of Ker-a-a-a-ng .

Trending Topics