What is Cubase "LE" compared to SE, SL, and SX?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by cocheese, Nov 6, 2005.

1. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I am about to get a little at home system for making clips and see that a lot of the non-ProTools systems come packaged with Cubase LE. My question is: How usable is this version? Does it lack some major features or will it be sufficient to make clips? I need an MP3 converter the most probably.

The systems I've been considering are the Saffire, Firepod, and Inspire. I have a pre and some monitors as well as a PC so I'm trying to keep it as small (budgetwise) as possible.

Thanks for the help! :)

2. VSpaceBoy

VSpaceBoy Member

Its a great prog. I'd say to find out if it would suit you hit the steinberg website and compare the features of them both.

3. cocheese

Thanks for the advice, but I tried that and it is not on the website. They only have the SE, SL, and SX on the website. There's no mention of the LE version?! :confused:

4. VSpaceBoy

VSpaceBoy Member

5. cocheese

Thanks! That really cleared things up. It's just a limited version of the more "flagship" programs which you can upgrade if need be. I think it's a go.

6. Blueser

Blueser Member

Tyler,

Didn't you pick up a Lynx card and RNP not too long ago? I was wondering why you were going this route? I was considering the Lynx card as well, with a Great River preamp.

B

7. cocheese

Blueser,

Good memory! Yes, I did have the whole dedicated PC with Lynx card setup but I could not get Samplitude to work at all! It ended up where my brother could really use the Lynx card, which sounded great by the way, so it ended up going to him. The PC got returned and Samp hit Ebay. I'm left with the Great River, some Event P6 monitors and a hankering to make some great clips. I'm now thinking about it again, but after a month straight of troubleshooting with the whole Samplitude thing, I'm a little gunshy. It took all of the fun out of it. I actually didn't feel like playing at all after that whole debacle.

I'm now thinking of either the new Mackie 400F or the Fireface 800 right now...something more "all-in-one" I guess.

I was really miffed that the Samp thing didn't pan out. It is supposed to be a great program but I could not ever get it to work. I have no doubts that it was me but after asking every question and trying everything, only to end up with this super long delay between recording and monitoring, was too much.

I have no doubt that it is something that could have been fixed. I just ran out of patience and energy.

I'm looking forward to going at it again here real soon. I'm actually calling Sweetwater TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

8. Blueser

Blueser Member

Tyler,

After hearing good things about the Onyx preamps, and the converters in the 400F, I will probably order one of them. I will probably also pick up a Great River MP1NV, and a Millenia TD-1, which will give me two pro channels, with direct capability, different voicings, and lots of features/flexibility. I already have a pair of Mackie HR824 monitors, and will use the Tracktion 2 software which comes with the Onyx. I have a demo now, and it is not only very simple to use, but has lots of pro features, and supports VST plugs.

I will be running this off my Mac G4 dual 800 for now, and will upgrade the Mac when the Intel models get delivered, so that I am not running OSX in a wrapper when the time comes. I am thinking about a Prologix CPU upgrade for the Mac as well. I may upgrade my converters at that time as well if required. I really like the Apogee Rosetta stuff that I've heard.

I was running Sonar 4 on a PC, using a Mackie 1402 VLZ for my preamps into a Audiophile 2496, and that worked well also. I will probably still use a PC to create my drum tracks with Acid, until I get accustomed to something Mac based.

I also just bought a bunch of mics to try out.

Dynamics:
    AT ATM29HE
    SM57

LDC Condensers:
    AT4040
    AT4047
    AT4050
    Shure KSM44

I would like to pick up a pair of SDC for acoustic guitar (maybe some Gefell M300s), and a tube mic as well. I am not sure I like to tone of ribbon mics, as I have only heard a few, but they sounded a bit dark to me.

Well that's my scenario....Have fun!

B

9. cocheese

Yeah, the Mackie is at the top of my list right now too. It has nice preamps and good converters and has every control you could need on the front panel. I too have the demo version of Tracktion. I find it WAY easier to use than Samplitude. I actually used the Tracktion demo to troubleshoot my other system. I fiddled with all the settings in Samp for weeks to no avail. I loaded up Tracktion and it worked right on startup!!! People seem to like to dogpile on the Mackie because they use Echo innards, but if it sounds good, it sounds good. Who cares who makes it as long as they will support it. I don't think that Mackie is going the way of the dodo any time soon.

I was considering the Fireface 800 but it's just more than I want to spend and the preamps are not supposed to be as nice as the 400F. Heck, I'm only making clips anyway! For cryin' out loud, $1500 is a good boutique amp!!! :D

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

Cubase is really annoying to work with. not very intuitive at all.

IMHO, i'd rather go Sonar if i'm on a PC. FYI, there's a Sonar 4 Home Studio version that's only $99. from the looks of it, very promising. :cool: