• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What is everyone's thoughts on Tim Henson's "Boomer Bends" comment?

Studio Owner

I am not a boomer and get called boomer constantly here LOL.

I am so Gen X I went to detention at the school library because I had nothing better to do.

That's why I really identify with the blues music, it reminds me of my trials and tribulations as a young dude. My parents dumped on me real bad.

Last edited:

Big'Uns

Silver Supporting Member
I am not a boomer and get called boomer constantly here LOL.

I am so Gen X I went to detention at the school library because I had nothing better to do.

That's why I really identify with the blues music, it reminds me of my trials and tribulations as a young dude. My parents dumped on me real bad.

God I love that movie. Being a kid in the 80’s………wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Blurillaz

He has a point, avoiding the cliches in every classic rock solo but the average age of this forum is 65-70 so it will fall on (literally) deaf ears. If anything the fact that people here are saying "there's no such thing as boomer bends" or "I'm not a boomer" proves their boomerness.

PB+J

I'm very much a jazz guy and tend to keep the bends to a minimum. I like 12 gauge strings partly because they discourage mindless string bending.

I don't know anything about Tim Henson. I'm a boomer. I once wrote a paper about Eddie Lang, the 20s and early 30s jazz guitarist, compared to Charlie Christian. CC almost never did any string bending, while Eddie lang bent up a storm. I think string bending, pitch bending as a thing, came out of minstrel shows, and CC was trying to get away from that . In minstrel shows white guys in black face were always making exaggerated pitch bends and CC just walked around that whole tradition. Most jazz guitar follows CCs lead

SushiPowPow

Don't listen to their music much, but I deeply respect Polyphia's hard-work. Young folks paving the way spurs innovation and guitar in general needs it heavily.

The out lash is hilarious and expected from the stereotypical derogatory remarks that allude to the proverbial Boomer. If you can't laugh at yourself and the inevitable aging we all experience - that must be miserable.

DRS

By coining the term, "boomer bends," Henson created a pejorative that means, "old and cliched." He could have said, "I avoid bending as it is not my style." Polyphia is a pretty cool band so they don't really need to emphasize that they're not "old and cliched" - it's pretty obvious.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom