• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What is everyone's thoughts on Tim Henson's "Boomer Bends" comment?

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I am not a boomer and get called boomer constantly here LOL.

I am so Gen X I went to detention at the school library because I had nothing better to do.

That's why I really identify with the blues music, it reminds me of my trials and tribulations as a young dude. My parents dumped on me real bad.

I can appreciate what he's saying, while still enjoying the, for want of a better word, classic electric guitar technique of that era.

I mean, you look at the difference in "standard" techniques from Charlie Christian to Les Paul to Hendrix to Van Halen to Malmsteen to Shields to (for example) Henson, and it's obvious that there are particular approaches in each era that were rejected and those that were expanded upon by each generation that followed. Righteous rock dudes of the 70's weren't terribly interested in heavy flat wounds on a arch top into a low watt amp approach, and champing out your classic big band four to a bar Christian style backing could seem a little square to someone who's heard, say, Jimmy Nolan, and I think Henson's no different.

Last edited:

John(aka: Moby Dick)

Silver Supporting Member
I think it’s a positive sign to see young musicians(and I mean under 25 years old young), wanting to separate themselves from the previous 50 years of popular music.

I really feel popular music has become stale and is in need of a good housecleaning even if that means throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Pop music is ripe for a new revolution.
Remember 40 years ago when kids hated their parents music and vice-versa?

That’s a sign of a healthy creative pop music scene.

Last edited:

Digital Larry

Yvette Young has a very keyboardy approach to guitar. Didn't check out the other guy yet.

Years ago there was this guy Michael Hedges (RIP) who started slapping the acoustic guitar body and bonking the neck to add percussive elements and doing two handed tapping and other innovative things. Today, just about every young acoustic guitar player approaches it like a set of bongoes with oh by the way it has these strings on it too.

Just wait, in another 20 years or maybe less, some new hep cat will be dissing all these people with their millennial taps and slaps.

CloneTone

Ageism, is a short-sighted and ignorant perspective - time waits for no man, and death will come for us all; GenX reporting in. There are already enough artificially induced divisions, currently in the US, for me to bother with the tired 'boomer' bait again.

But you can't bend the strings anymore? Like in the early 90's where you couldn't play a 'solo' anymore? Those who can, do, and more power to them - bending of the note is something the guitar does better than any other instrument.

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
I was reading this Guitar World article earlier about the backlash of the comments that Tim Henson received over the phrase "boomer-ish bends"

I think he was pointing out something and it had a lot of merit - but really a 15 second comment in a 40 minute interview and some people have decided to get their panties in wad over it? Puleeze - False Outrage over nonsense.

Jazz Padd

Friendly neighborhood boomer here. Past several years I stopped bending, except an occasional quarter tone in bluesy lines. I thought it's because me fingers got weak or cause I became an old jazzer head. But now me thinks it's some nifty assimilated bendless riffage from twenty somethings all about me?

Guitarworks

As one who is among the oldest of 60s-born Gen-Xers, I never thought of bends belonging to any one age group of guitarists or any one type of player. Bends are bends. It's one of a few hundred methods of expression on an instrument. Sax players use bends too. As far as I know, every player uses a bend at least once in a great while. He could've just as easily said "My style doesn't call for any bending of notes, and I just prefer not to use bends when I play" and no one would've thought twice about it.

I do, however, agree with the author's implications that many retirement-age players need to be more forward-thinking, as they currently have an impossible-to-dislodge and potentially unhealthy state of mind about vintage guitars; how nothing outside of their definition of vintage can be labeled vintage even if it's 40 years old (despite '59 LPs and '59 Strats being classified as vintage guitars by collectors in 1979, 20 years after they were made - I know this to be fact - I heard it said with my own kid ears at the time), and how no guitar outside that vintage guitar perimeter is allowed to be thought of as having 'magical' properties.

Boomstick0

I do, however, agree with the author's implications that many retirement-age players need to be more forward-thinking, as they currently have an impossible-to-dislodge and potentially unhealthy state of mind about vintage guitars;
What if I told you that almost every guitar player to offer something new did it on their first album?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom