What is going on with these flesh eating bacteria cases!?!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by michael.e, Jul 18, 2019.

1. mango

mango Member

Just once ?
    Leeches are almost a yearly thing for me.
    Just pour some salt on them and they curl up and drop off,then you jump right back in the water.:dunno

Maybe Maine leeches are worse.

2. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Hmm.

Makes going out west for over 2 weeks, into the mountains, seem a better choice.

None of that stuff, except we found a dead tick that probably got on Daisy, died weeks ago, and finally fell off only to be discovered in Washington State.

My main concern was Lightning, and an angry Moose or Grizzly (saw neither).

Nothing bad in any of the water supplies we found, except some sediment.

3. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member

That they like and thrive in warmer temperatures can be a problem for some people.
    Pollen count is also a problem for these people.

4. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Is that a Navy Seal?

ducker 1, Emigre, PLX and 1 other person like this.
  5. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Wow, utterly horrifying.

That's terrible. Poor lady and all y'all.

6. lendryesky

lendryesky Member

Never put salt on leeches that are attached to your body. When you do this they might "vomit" into the wound and cause a nasty infection. What you typically do is use your fingernail and gently scrape the head of the leech off your body. Or you can just leave it there until it's done feeding and it will fall off.

http://explorecuriocity.org/Explore...you-put-salt-on-it-what-will-happen-4235.aspx

7. RunninWDevil

RunninWDevil Member

Well I only went to that lake once. :dunno

mango likes this.
  8. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

My college job was taking care of leeches in a neuro-biology lab. It “sucked”.

Actually, it was one of my favorite jobs ever.

Gig Young and lendryesky like this.
  9. StealthHunter

StealthHunter Member

They're even in the rivers, if the current is slow enough! When you're done swimming, then some more Maine locals greet you as you dry off (the Blackflies and Horseflies). Fun times.

10. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

Straight to video. :D

11. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

You guys are funny lol

I don’t know what the odds are of getting a bad case of vibrio or some other potentially lethal infection but I fished and got guts all over me many times, swim in warm water. No problems here yet. However I’m not swimming in stagnant pools or canals. :D

It’s funny cause years ago when I was kid being taught how to field dress all kinds of game I never used latex gloves. We carefully gutted and inspected the internals on the spot then bagged and tagged them and when done found the nearest puddle, brook or river to wash our hands. I guess no one around me had the flesh eating disease scare.

I still function the same way but you won’t be catching me just swimming in a canal or pond for no reason. If I’m in warm stagnant water it’s cause someone needs saving.

Hey wait, “Lethal Infection” for a new band name.

Gig Young likes this.
  12. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Another thread about mother-in-laws?

Gig Young likes this.
  13. Madsen

Madsen Member

Got a pretty nasty ear infection (Swimmer's Ear) last time I swam in the Pacific. Apparently I was too close to the Santa Ana River outlet.

14. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

There’s always been these bugs and viruses, and many more, what’s a little alarming about it is some pathogens seem to be taking a lot of current antibiotics in stride, leaving the unfortunate victims with worsened odds of dodging the full nightmare. Going in tropical or slow or non moving water with any sort of skin opening is rolling dice. I’ve known lots of guys who’ve had staph sessions caught surfing, and a great friend of mine lost limbs to contagious meningitis working a service job at LAX in the late 70’s.

15. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

We live on a tidal creek off the Rappahannock River in Virginia. My neighbor on the creek died from it a couple of years ago. His name was Buford, a kindly older gentleman who used to be out every day in his little skiff crabbing. As I heard it he had scraped himself on a crab pot, that's all it took.
    Five years ago I had burned my hand badly enough that I went to the hospital for treatment. Although neither the doctor or nurse that helped me knew that I lived on the water they both warned me to stay away from the river. That was when I first learned about the vibrio bacteria.
    I'm out on the water fishing almost every day, 12 months a year. Just getting poked by a spiny fin could be a death sentence so I always carry a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in the boat to pour over a wound.

michael.e likes this.
  16. Roark

Roark Member