What is going on?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by pullagnm, Sep 22, 2006.

1. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I've been playing a Deluxe Reverb RI for about 5 months mostly at home (bought new). I have taken it out on a couple of gigs and it worked great. A couple of days ago I was practicing at home and I had it up pretty loud around 7 on the volume. Then everytime I hit a F# note it would crackle really bad. Does anyone know what would cause this?

2. mbratch

mbratch Member

Bad solder joint perhaps. Certain notes will vibrate the amp differently, and a bad/intermittent solder joint can react differently. I had exactly that happen in a PCB based tube amp in which a low D note would cause a horrible crackle. It could also be a bad tube, same kind of scenario. So if you have any spare tubes, you can replace them one by one and see if the problem goes away.

3. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

Thanks for info. The only tubes I tried switching last night were the power tubes. Still had the same problem. So I will try the pre amp tubes tonight.

4. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Did you generally tighten everything down bolt wise. Seems like it is vibration based and maybe a loose bolt or connection that is affected only when the thing vibrates from hitting that note. Hope it helps.

5. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I did do this a month after I bought it. I was hearing this vibration noise, and some of the screws were lose. Come to think of it I don't know if I did the screws on the speaker. I will check that tonight. Thanks.

6. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

It does sound mechanical to me. I had this problem on a recent build and it was easily resolved with the addition of another fastener.

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    First thing to do in a situation like this is ALWAYs clean all tube pins and sockets. Check out the FAQ under Resources on my website.

Stick with things you can do something about first.

8. mbratch

mbratch Member

When the word "crackle" was used, I assumed it was a sound coming from the speaker (primarily electrical/electro-mechanical in nature). It could be mechanical as some have suggested if it's more of a rattle. ;)

Mike makes a good point about checking the cleanliness of the pin contacts for the tubes before implicating the tubes themselves or delving into potential bad solder joints.