What is hands down the best tone decision you’ve made in your life?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kilometers Davis, Sep 18, 2019.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Getting a single pickup Junior and learning the tone characteristics of the volume and tone knobs plus picking technique and location on the guitar have on amp output dynamics.

Swapping pots and caps are more important to fixing a guitar tone than pickup swaps.
    Pickup heights and guitar setup are critical too.

Stacking pedals.

Flipping enough guitars and amps to understand how little the gear can matter, especially when a fret level can make a $100 starter guitar play like a $1,000+ model and then get the tone with pots and caps swaps along with a switch and jack for under $30.

lavinci and Kilometers Davis like this.
  2. jimk4003

jimk4003 Member

Working on my phrasing.

Kilometers Davis and PeterG like this.
  3. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

:) And a good rug to tie the room together :- )

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  4. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Thorn

and I changed the battery on one of my pedals, same brand, but it had 2 minutes and 23 seconds more juice than the one before. :D:D:p

5. sxcustom

sxcustom Member

practicing slowly and experimenting with how each note is struck with the pick and depressed with my finger. over time developed a way of playing that sounds unique and transcends the gear I am playing though.

6. Obsessive Tinkerer

Obsessive Tinkerer Member

+1! When I read the name of the thread this came to mind. By far the best tone choice I’ve made was backing the gain way down. In the same mindset backing down from high output pickups to vintage weight ones allowed for real nuances to come through, good and bad. I used to be a total shredder that could fake it well with heaps of distortion to fill in the errors and lack of good execution. Lead work with a good crunch tone let’s you hear yourself good and bad and target your weaknesses.

johnygold, BluesBUSTER, DV52 and 3 others like this.
  7. sleewell

sleewell Member

getting a 5153 for metal. i think i was trying to use more expensive stuff bc of some of the forum hate for all things peavey and 5150 but when you actually play one in a band context they are amazing and you start to realize why huge bands like Gorija are using them when they could be playing anything they wanted.

egregion and Kilometers Davis like this.
  8. Tootone

Tootone Member

Sounding like a stuck record... but...
    Buying a real USA Strat in 1997... I'd had only budget copies previously. it was like night turning to day.

Effects wise.... two stand out... a TurboRAT and very recently a Boss CP1X.

Amps.... Vox AC30 with Blues. I came from a Marshall TSL601. I like Marshall, but I could never afford a "real" one.

General... Learning how to dial in my amp for any occasion. Seems like a no brainer, but it actually took me many years to get the hang of it.

9. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

My tone dramatically improved when I took a rhythm guitar player's suggestion to run my amp at the edge of breakup and use my overdrive pedal with the gain nearly off & the volume up.

Fender amps don't sound the same at 3 as they do at 6. Different tone.

10. mdubya

mdubya Member

When I bought my 1976 2204 in the early 90's. Paired with Pulsonic Celestions, my SG, and a Maestro MFZ-1 fuzz, I could get all of the vintage tones I ever wanted and it set me well apart from the rack mount crowd and the high gain channel switching crowd.

The only downside was that I was so pleased with my tone, I didn't buy up all of the other cheap vintage Marshalls and fuzz boxes at that time. Shame on me.

I should have bought more of those earliest examples of '57 Classic and Classic Plus pickups, too. And Explorers and V's and Firebirds and SG's.

rusty, BluesBUSTER and ProfRhino like this.
  11. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

Have a custom amplifier built.

Nothing else comes close to that decision

DC1 likes this.
  12. PeterG

PeterG Member

^ This, a thousand times.

Rolo and Kilometers Davis like this.
  13. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

For me it was buying this incredible 1976 Hiwatt Custom 100. It completely changed how I thought about my tone and brought me that "sound in my head" that I've always been after. Never looked at or considered another amp ever again.

[​IMG]

14. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

After opening for Eric Gales back in the day and getting blown off the stage both tonally and groove-wise, I sold my rack gear, my Floyd rose geetars, and cut my damn hair - bought a strat, a few pedals, and an old vibrolux :BluesBros

15. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Electric clean: really good subtle optical compressor with a slow release and a blend knob

Electric Dirty: Greer SupaCobra

Acoustic amplified: K&K pure mini

Acoustic unplugged elixir nanoweb phosphor bronze

16. josephpnorman

josephpnorman Supporting Member

Buying a nice telecaster

Madrone and Kilometers Davis like this.
  17. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

I literally have plastic totes full of effects pedals. But, I have stopped using them and going to back to basics; guitar-->cable-->amp. The only effects I use are an off board reverb, Benson Tall Bird, or the built in reverb and tremolo of the amps.

18. yfeefy

yfeefy Member

Hard to rate the decisions, but I raised the bridge height on my 335 a teeny bit a couple of years ago, and it really changed the tone for the better. Got rid of all this horrible quackiness.

Mugs, asilker, scmavl and 1 other person like this.
  19. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

20. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Member

I stopped using gain pedals (comp,OD,dust,fuzz). Been playing for nearly 50 years & never used gain pedals for the first 40. For the last 10 years I have been chasing that dirt. 2 months ago on a, " pedals or straight in", thread someone said, "I'm sorry you don't love the sound of your amp". I plugged straight in to my Quilter 101 & I loved it. I still use reverb, delay & modulation in the effects loop, but no gain pedals. Also freed up space on my board.

BluesBUSTER and Kilometers Davis like this.