• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What is hands down the best tone decision you’ve made in your life?

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Getting an overdrive pedal around 1990 after decades of trying to force big amps into distortion for rock sound.
Now I do not rely on amp od and can use any decent clean amp and pedals.
There were a lot of side trips before that got figured out, though.

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
Matchless C-30 with reverb, bought used here on TGP, having never been within 50 feet of one.

joshofsorts

Silver Supporting Member
Getting a decent amp. I spent years chasing tone on several mass market amps. In 2010 I bought a Carr Rambler. Game over.

Disclaimer: This amp works for my ears, my guitars, and my playing style. Your needs may be different.
Same here. Getting the right amp changed my playing, how much I used pedals (I use them a lot less now), and my general satisfaction with my tone.

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
In the 80s: Giving up on solid state amps and pedals, buying a Marshall and plugging straight in.

In the last 15 years: Turning the gain down. I didn't use OD to cover anything up, but turning it down opened up a whole ton of possibilities in terms of the expression and tones I can get by simply controlling my touch. You just can't get that stuff when it's destroyed by the compression of hard clipping.

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
Discovering the fuzz face. I could plug into anything anywhere and get a jammable sound.

actually that's second place

putting pure nickle strings on my strat was a life changer.

Trending Topics