What is it about fuzz ... ???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bernm, Aug 18, 2019.

1. bernm

bernm Member

... that makes it so good?

Serious question. I've been thinking about this. I really like fuzz. I'm not a fuzz addict or anything (at least that's what I keep telling myself, and I can quit anytime), and I have lots of different pedals of many types.

But there's just something about fuzz. I'm wondering, if you like fuzz, what is it that you like about it? Why does it have that something to it?

Do you know what I mean?

Or maybe this is what I'm asking (you can tell I am sorting of thinking out loud here): why do people who like fuzz, like fuzz? Why does it have a certain attraction for those who really gravitate towards it?

Again, a serious question. Curious to have some input from fuzz-heads. Thanks!

moore_for_less likes this.
  2. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

3. Feverdog

Feverdog Member

I like fuzz cuz it’s unpredictable and susceptible to changes in vol, input, output etc. The same pedal can sound different day to day, hour to hour. Fuzz is alive.

4. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

Those are all things I don't like about fuzz, lol.

5. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

I love the texture it adds to music. It's almost tactile. And if you eat the right mushrooms, it's TOTALLY tactile!

6. johnetone

johnetone Member

I Love Fuzz because it feels alive and organic under the fingers. The kinds of sounds fuzz makes just feels like an extension of my instrument. I love how fuzz feels like it can push and pull at the same time. I also love how massive or thin the same exact fuzz can be tuned. Even though fuzz was the first guitar effect, it still sounds modern and unusual.

7. '90s Pacifica

'90s Pacifica Member

The adrenaline rush I get when I hear a manic and fuzzy lead guitar kick in to the mix then proceed to fluctuate, spit and blaze a searing path through my brain.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  8. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

For anyone 40 and over...
    I postulate that its been burned into the formative brain patterns from early childhood.
    Its familiar, its like going home again ...to the fuzz.

40 and under?
    I do not know.

9. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

10. songtalk

songtalk Member

I'm 40 and under.

I'd say I'm attracted to it's almost synthesizer like qualities. With regards to temperature, most of my best fuzzes have enough bias knobs on em to mitigate any minor fluctuations.....but! I like the unpredictable/organic sounds I get from a good fuzz more than I like a lot of things in life. I have no time for stiff, rigid, amplike clipping. Give me sizzly, gatey, sputtery splattery, roary, grinding "is that broken?......oh wait, it's supposed to sound like that" stuff. That's the stuff I live for.

It makes me play differently and I like it! I get to hear different "me"s with different fuzzes. Friggin amazing!

11. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

For better or worse, fuzz really draws the eyes and ears to the person playing it.
    Yer either the hero or the goat.
    You'll get the girl or they'll roll the eyes.
    Honestly, it's not the 10-top that got you laid after that big outdoor gig.
    And it's not your hair either.

12. bernm

bernm Member

Loving these answers so far. Some of you guys are putting words on what I've been trying to express ...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  13. Babaroo

Babaroo Member

I don't quite understand the difference between fuzz and overdrive . Is fuzz just a bit looser sounding ?

14. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

The reason fuzz initially caught my ear was because it didn't sound like the overdrives and distortion pedals I'd been familiar with. Fuzz was never something I really knew about until I properly heard it, and after that, it was game over. Fuzz can be smooth, nasty, biting, fat, crumbling, and completely rude-sounding.

15. mabinogeon

mabinogeon A really hoopy frood. Silver Supporting Member

Fuzz scratches an itch that's deep within my brain.

16. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

You mean Shiitake, right?

[​IMG]

17. kinvhs

kinvhs Member

Fuzz has this special way of saturation that makes the guitar extremely sensitive and present. The sustain makes it all sing for you. All the overtones and intermodulation of intervals get augmented and you have a real time dialogue with an entity. Some people like @splatt or Ronson are like alchemists with it. They turn germanium to gold.
    I'm over 40 and I have never listened to fuzz music much in my formative years. It's only now, as I am saturated, that I started to love it as a voice.

18. Daniel Travis

Daniel Travis Member

I don't know man, I hate it. Couldn't tell ya.

Daniel Krawchuk likes this.
  19. moore_for_less

moore_for_less Supporting Member

Home, home again… I like to be here when I can…
    I’m gonna approach it from a more practical angle. Fuzz, by its nature of excessive compression, generates an enormous amount of harmonic content.

We guitarists are all about those harmonics.

It’s why we love dimed Marshall amps or clear, transparent drives that enhance the clean tone, they’re all adding those beautiful harmonics that we can’t get enough of.

Each fuzz-type will emphasize different harmonic information. Sometimes that’s a vast difference like a Fuzz Face to a Big Muff, or sometimes it’s a subtle change like comparing different vintage Fuzz Faces to find a good one.

So not only are fuzzes, in general, harmonically satisfying (I think I just coined a band name), fuzzes are so wildly varying and unique that we can all kind of find our own personal favorite flavor.

Which of course caters to our need as guitarists to stand out and be our own person and express our true self through music and blah blah blah. haha

So maybe the shade of grit from your favorite Fuzz Face when you roll back your volume knob to just the right number allows you to express your music in just the right way. Or the bright, visceral attack of a ToneBender means everyone will have to stop and hear what you’re saying. Or the complete onslaught of a Big Muff means your listeners can be immersed in the same landslide of tone that you are.

So yeah, fuzz basically just ticks all the boxes that guitarists associate with having fun and expressing ourselves musically.

20. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

‘twas the nose hair.

Tom Von Kramm and johnetone like this.